No Strength!!!! (or "Stop Sucking!!!")

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fact that you recognize that you're not moving well and using stregnth instead of technique is a good thing, it means that you recognize it, and that only happens when you understand it. The more frustrated you get about it, the longer it's going to take to overcome it, relaxation is key, and you can't relax when you're frustrated. You have to know that if you stick it out, and keep practicing, it will happen for you.

OP
Kichigai-no-Okami

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Seriously, you guys have been AWESOME, and the help that you've given and shared will be put to good use (immediatly) ! If there are any more words of advice, I will gratefully accept them, and start implementing them during my next session. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, right?

; )

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seriously, you guys have been AWESOME, and the help that you've given and shared will be put to good use (immediatly) ! If there are any more words of advice, I will gratefully accept them, and start implementing them during my next session. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, right?

; )

Remember to match uke's speed. So uke needs to go slow initially. Often I see uke move slow and tori moves at twice the speed. Or often uke starts out too fast for tori. Both uke and tori need to move at the *same* speed. And... Uke sets the speed.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because neither you nor I wear the ugly patch.

Personally I do not believe this to be true. Not that many, many people have not tried to make this a truth just that it probably is not the truth. Soke in my mind speaks to everyone and cares little what rank or who you are. (lord knows if you look close enough he has dissed people at the top and also admonished people at the bottom) He is focused and intent on showing his budo. (that is what I believe is closer to the truth) Everyone and I repeat everyone else is either along for the ride or not. (irregardless or rank or empires) Only people at a certain level tend to perpetuate that he is only teaching to them. Just my 02.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well that would be your opinion and their opinion. In reality that does not make it a truth anymore than my opinion. Still I stand by what I stated above and based on personal experience and wisdom from the top it does seem pretty right on.
icon6.gif

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
The biggest help to me was to train with females and the kids. I knew I would hurt them if I used strength!!! I know it sounds kind of sexist BUT it really helps me! They don't get into the male ego thing and I can focus on how I am supposed to do things! Might give it a try.

And what is the ugly patch????

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember to match uke's speed. So uke needs to go slow initially. Often I see uke move slow and tori moves at twice the speed. Or often uke starts out too fast for tori. Both uke and tori need to move at the *same* speed. And... Uke sets the speed.

No, the truth shows itself when people try to emulate Hatsumi prematurely.

i would think, having problems with motivation is normal at some point..
i also try to always find new ways to improve myself as well as understand the world around me better.

i also think that it is a good thing that you notice it and that you openly address the issue of selfimprovement.
From another perspective, you seem troubled, as though you have not only failed some kind of mission, but you are questioning yourself, your abilities or even your martial art if not all ma.

i am certain that deep down you will want to agree with me here; martial arts works!...when you do the techniques just right- at the right angle, most importantly at the right time and in the correct spirit, they work.
even if you succeed in a technique perfectly, but you do it unfairly or hastily out of very negative emotions, then you still wont feel really great about later. if you try your best to be fair-to not injure your uke(after yourself or equally)- then, even if you mess up something you neednt feel that bad.
that is what training is for.

all i can think of now is the line from spiderman, with great power comes great responsibility.

just concentrate on not hurting yourself without being freaked out, and then try to control whatever you are trying to achieve with your uke. control your heart- and be fair. if you try to be fair, i garantee people will start to respect you more and more....and as your skill increases, some of that respect may turn to fear- but that is not the goal. if so, it shows that your yourself have fears that you are choosing to spread in the dojo rather than eliminate on the streets.

my tip is be good to everyone and you might realize how much there is out there to learn that will make you better and stronger too.

whatever the case, for the sake of higher strategy, i also had to learn how to turn myself off, so to speak- just observe the training and add my twocents. eventually however, when i know just the right thing to go after, i will switch myself back on. sounds kinda schizo i know..

j

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score

This is not a motivational issue.

From another perspective, you seem troubled, as though you have not only failed some kind of mission, but you are questioning yourself, your abilities or even your martial art if not all ma.

No, my main concern is boredom.

if you try your best to be fair-to not injure your uke(after yourself or equally)- then, even if you mess up something you neednt feel that bad.
that is what training is for.

If I mess up and don't get to know why and fix it, I feel like crap, no matter how nice I am.

all i can think of now is the line from spiderman, with great power comes great responsibility.

To me it seems that sometimes more power and influence equals LESS responsibility.

control your heart- and be fair. if you try to be fair, i garantee people will start to respect you more and more....

L-I-E. It's not that easy. Period.

and as your skill increases, some of that respect may turn to fear- but that is not the goal. if so, it shows that your yourself have fears that you are choosing to spread in the dojo rather than eliminate on the streets.

Seriously. Who cares about the streets when at the same time nobody is willing to lift a finger to improve upon that environment which we do have at least some degree of control over - i.e. the Bujinkan?

my tip is be good to everyone and you might realize how much there is out there to learn that will make you better and stronger too.

I'd wager that I have a stronger sense of righteousness than many in the Bujinkan. That and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee - and I don't drink coffee.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, i never said it was easy. actually i definately do think it is very difficult.

often i believe, one can learn from ones mistakes.

j

OP
Kichigai-no-Okami

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The biggest help to me was to train with females and the kids. I knew I would hurt them if I used strength!!! I know it sounds kind of sexist BUT it really helps me! They don't get into the male ego thing and I can focus on how I am supposed to do things! Might give it a try.

And what is the ugly patch????

Yep. I already have an 8-year old that knows that daddy's a ninja. And desperately wants to be one himself. And an open-minded (ninja-tolerant) wife who can help me there, too. Thanx 4 that, buyu.

OP
Kichigai-no-Okami

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i also try to always find new ways to improve myself as well as understand the world around me better.

i also think that it is a good thing that you notice it and that you openly address the issue of selfimprovement.

Deep. Also, selfishly on my part, true. All of this. (Damn, that hurt.)
: ...)
Sometimes it's not easy for Nagare to come when your heart is not right. I now realise this. As the late Glenn Morris-Sensei said "energy flows easier through a happy camper". I'm also reminded of Takamatsu-Soke's admonishment about using ninpo with an untrue heart...how if one does so, that "the techniques therin will fail utterly" (paraphraising). Examining motivations and attitudes when going in to play will serve me best as the basis. Then, as the song goes "free your mind , your a** will follow.
There are things, however, that uniquley set one apart from others that one also struggles with.Some things that are more apparente than others, and visa-versa. These things also contribute to "In/Yo" of Ninpo play(with the individual). So your correspondance is more true than I previously wanted to admit.

Ronnin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There's a saying in the Special Operations community "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" I live by this motto. It helps me with my movement. Just do it slow, concentrating on the movement only, not the end result AT ALL yet. That will come once you have the movement.

Latest Discussions