The Effects Of Empty Handed Training On Your Weapon Handling Abilities

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about BBT students upgrading their training via the most effective unarmed combination of systems ever known to man. Just wondered what people thought the effects of trying to separate weapon and unarmed taijutsu skills would be with regards to BBT training? From my limited exposure, it looks like trying to separate the two would negatively affect weapon handling ability. Is this an incorrect line of thinking?

I apologize in advance for the ignorance or lack of understanding. It's just that I have to wonder if saying "OK. I'm unarmed. Now I have to use a combination of unrelated (to BBT) styles to deal with this situation. OK. Now I have a weapon and can use my BBT training." might cause problems in your overall BBT skillset.

Again, sorry if this is a dumb question.

Fu Bag :)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about BBT students upgrading their training via the most effective unarmed combination of systems ever known to man. Just wondered what people thought the effects of trying to separate weapon and unarmed taijutsu skills would be with regards to BBT training? From my limited exposure, it looks like trying to separate the two would negatively affect weapon handling ability. Is this an incorrect line of thinking?

It does not sound incorrect to me. There are certain things you can do when you use or face weapons. And there are certain things you can do if you know there will be no weapons involved. So the way an art evolves is dependent on what reality it is geared for. If you take one guy used to one reality and drop them in another, they will not do as well as those that have trained exclusivly for that reality.

Check out the thread I started on the subject.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that trying to separate them would have a negative impact on the results of that training.

IMO, weapons based arts (such as ours) often are quite effective in unarmed combat situations. However, the unarmed arts are rarely effective against armed combat.

The way I see it, it all boils down to body movement principles and tactics that are taught by the respective arts.

Just my thoughts.

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It does not sound incorrect to me. There are certain things you can do when you use or face weapons. And there are certain things you can do if you know there will be no weapons involved. So the way an art evolves is dependent on what reality it is geared for. If you take one guy used to one reality and drop them in another, they will not do as well as those that have trained exclusivly for that reality.

Check out the thread I started on the subject.

Don,

That's a great thread, BTW. Thanks for the clarification. I have a feeling there's a lot more to it but that's probably best handled by time on the mat. :)

Latest Discussions