"No Outside Game," or Another Thread About Hybrid Arts

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
He then gets into a financial pissing match with Kernspecht, goes to study under Ting, then gets into a financial dispute with Ting and formed his own organization. Why do I say "this is half the problem with the guy?" It just smacks of so much ego.

But this seems to be a pretty common happening in the Leung Ting lineage. Almost the same story is told by Sergio and others. Not saying that Emin doesn't have a big ego, but I'd lay at least have the cause on Leung Ting himself! ;-)

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
My conclusion is Emin did ambush Cheung. What is up for debate is whether or not the video was released with Emin "in the loop" or not. His later interview could be due to the fact that he knew it made him look at least as bad (if not worse than) Cheung to those who know martial arts. It could also be him doing spin control upon hindsight finally kicking in and letting him no just how bad that video looks all around.

What difference does it make? The question is why both of them looked so bad.

TWC is supposed to be for self-defense, innit? SD situations aren't always from a fair and square face-off.

So, Cheung got "bum rushed" and beaten up by someone who also appeared not to be able to use his WT.

Emin looked bad too, but surely not worse, as he at least wasn't the one being used to mop the floor. Plus, I'm guessing the law would not have been on his side if he just went up and punched Cheung in the face.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
why wouldn't Cheung use an "emergency technique" from Bil Jee form to "recover" from being ambushed?

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I made a mistake there. As was pointed out that was before it was before "BJJ" was a thing he claimed to have been a wrestler, Judoka and amateur boxer with over 300 street fights under his belt, but somehow, in a country not famous for how well it treats immigrants of color, not a single documented arrest?

An Article from "Inside Kung-fu" on him back in the 1990's stated that he studied these, and a Karate style I can't recall atm, before moving onto WC in the Leung Ting organization, under Kernspecht, then we have the now infamous 1986 incident. He then gets into a financial pissing match with Kernspecht, goes to study under Ting, then gets into a financial dispute with Ting and formed his own organization. Why do I say "this is half the problem with the guy?" It just smacks of so much ego.

I know nothing about any of that other than the William Cheung incident and the Gracie stuff. All I know is that he is a very recognizable WC name...I watched his videos...liked what he saw.

If I worried about people's ego, there is so much I would not be able to enjoy, like the music of Smashing Pumpkins or the writings of Norman Mailer. Granted, some of you reading this may not like either of those, but that's not my point. The point is that it IS possible to admire someone's skill regardless of who they are. In certain instances it may be tougher than others. For example, I'm sure I would never like a MILLISECOND of any song written by Charles Manson.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What the Emin/Cheung fight showed is fighting isn't pretty and can take any turn. It doesn't matter how good you are or how good you think you are a fight can quickly go into a realm you are not prepared for if your training doesn't include it.

Last edited:
OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I lost track of where someone said this...if it was on this thread or another, but I am guessing it was here because I mentioned Emin Boztepe.

Someone asked, "When does it stop being Wing Chun?" Oddly enough, I asked this on a different thread. (I think it was the one I created that wound up getting removed.) On that thread, I remember someone replying, "When you generate power in a different way."

I'm not sure how good of an answer that is, though. I would have to think about it.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost track of where someone said this...if it was on this thread or another, but I am guessing it was here because I mentioned Emin Boztepe.

Someone asked, "When does it stop being Wing Chun?" Oddly enough, I asked this on a different thread. (I think it was the one I created that wound up getting removed.) On that thread, I remember someone replying, "When you generate power in a different way."

I'm not sure how good of an answer that is, though. I would have to think about it.

Guess that would fit if soley in Wing Chun mode. But wonder if generating power other ways, while in Wing Chun mode would be one of the same. Or really would Wing Chun be that liner.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
What would "Winch Chun mode" be?

I don't even know how to begin figuring that out. If we are crosstrained in multiple styles, do we see the opponent's distance and say, "Now I have to be in Tae Kwon Do mode? Now Wing Chun mode? Now BJJ mode?" That seems like too much thinking to me. My guess is after a while, thought would be eliminated from the process.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know nothing about any of that other than the William Cheung incident and the Gracie stuff. All I know is that he is a very recognizable WC name...I watched his videos...liked what he saw.

If I worried about people's ego, there is so much I would not be able to enjoy, like the music of Smashing Pumpkins or the writings of Norman Mailer. Granted, some of you reading this may not like either of those, but that's not my point. The point is that it IS possible to admire someone's skill regardless of who they are. In certain instances it may be tougher than others. For example, I'm sure I would never like a MILLISECOND of any song written by Charles Manson.
The question here though is whether emin boztep has the skill. Smashing pumpkins deliver. In the only real evidence I am aware of, emin does not deliver. His technique, which in a laboratory is impressive, was nowhere to be found when applied in actual contexr

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
The question here though is whether emin boztep has the skill. Smashing pumpkins deliver. In the only real evidence I am aware of, emin does not deliver. His technique, which in a laboratory is impressive, was nowhere to be found when applied in actual contexr

Which real evidence do you mean?

As for the Pumpkins and Mailer examples...I mean, maybe that was not the best comparison because then we are talking about matters of opinion. I can say the Pumpkins deliver, but the person next to me could say they suck because it is subjective, whereas in martial arts...either a technique works, or it doesn't.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't get it. If a member is on ignore, then why is it I get an email notification from Taptalk showing me what they said?

I don't care to read any replies from people who cannot be respectful. You know who you are.

D

Dylan9d

I don't get it. If a member is on ignore, then why is it I get an email notification from Taptalk showing me what they said?

I don't care to read any replies from people who cannot be respectful. You know who you are.

Yeah yeah whatever dude..... as if I care if you ignore me or not....

Oh and being disrespectful and telling someone the truth are 2 different things I tend to do the 2nd

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah yeah whatever dude..... as if I care if you ignore me or not....

Good, because I don't care if YOU don't care. And not for nothing, but (1) I wasn't talking about you, and (2) if you don't care, why even post that?

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
*yawn* I'm getting bored. Can someone start replying with some intelligence again, please?

By the way, not for nothing but I HAVE seen that video. However, that doesn't mean it wasn't possible that Steve was referring to a DIFFERENT video. Check out YouTube and you might notice they have more than one on there. :)

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Don't know if that was me or not. But I have long maintained, and written about many times.....that I think the biomechanics you use to generate power or send and receive force....the "engine" so to speak....is what identifies a martial art at the core level. Once you stop using the "engine", then you are no longer doing that specific martial art. That's why....even though many techniques and concepts are shared...Wing Chun and JKD are different arts. They use a different power base.

Latest Discussions