No Bruce Lee

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not so! Chuck was still a champion of The internatianals. He could still have been in the right place at the right time.
Sean

Could be. Roles were sparse for Chuck in the seventies. I always think of his fight scene with Bruce Lee in Return of the Dragon as (1) being quite memorable dramatically and (2) as the big break in his career.

1. A Force of One (1979) .... Matt Logan
  2. Good Guys Wear Black (1978) .... John T. Booker
    ... aka Black Fighter (Europe: English title)
  3. Breaker! Breaker! (1977) .... John David 'J.D.' Dawes
    ... aka Breaker, Breaker
    ... aka Cindy Jo & the Texas Turnaround
  4. Slaughter in San Francisco (1974) .... Chuck Slaughter/Chuck Norris
    ... aka Chuck Norris vs. the Karate Cop
    ... aka Huang mian lao hu
    ... aka Karate Cop
    ... aka Yellow Faced Tiger
  5. The Student Teachers (1973) .... Karate Instructor
    ... aka College Coeds (USA)
  6. Meng long guo jiang (1972) .... Colt
    ... aka Fury of the Dragon (Europe: English title)
    ... aka Mang lung goh kong (Hong Kong: Cantonese title)
    ... aka Return of the Dragon (USA)
    ... aka Revenge of the Dragon (USA: cable TV title)
    ... aka The Way of the Dragon (Hong Kong: English title)
  7. The Wrecking Crew (1969) (uncredited) .... Man in the House of 7 Joys
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001569/#actor

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If Bruce Lee wasn't around, I'm guessing David Carradine (aarrgghh!) might've been the next biggest influence around at the time. The big thing would've been snatching pebbles from peoples hands :bangahead:.

Franco

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, the role David Carridine played that got him famous wouldn't have been around, as the show Kung Fu was Bruce Lee's brainchild as well.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee was a great martial artist. His open mindedness inspired millions, and his approach to the physical side of the arts opened many doors.

That being said, as others have stated, he was a great promoter for the martial arts. I see him as the Van Halen of the martial arts: He was a great innovater, and a brilliant artist, but what he had done wasn't something that someone else wouldn't have come up with at some other point. Sure, Van Halen can shred, but Herman Li from DragonForce can play him under the table and out the back door...but were it not for Van Halen, Herman Li would probably still be playing Iron Man.

The same holds true for Bruce Lee. Sure, there are martial artists out there now that are leaps and bounds ahead of where Lee would have ever gotten...but they owe it to him for making it popular knowledge.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was telling my husband about an article I read on another forum. The guy was not Bruce Lee's number 1 fan.

So, my husband started wondering what the world would be like if there was no Bruce Lee.

What do you think?
Good question. To fully appreciate that, one would need to know who became famous as a result of their association with Lee, who likely may not have done so. Start with Chuck Norris. Jackie Chan also had involvement with Lee that most certainly helped his career. Then all the Bruceploitation actors who's careers were entirely dependent upon their immitation of Lee. And lastly, Brandon Lee, who's short career didn't have the same impact that his father's had had, but still has a very loyal fan base.

Then there are all of the popular fighting methods that have their base in Jeet June Do. One, I believe, was the Keisy (sp?) fighting method, which was used in the coreography of Batman begins and the Dark Knight. Who finds out about that one? Every fanboy who googles, "What fighting style does Batman use."

Asking what MA would be like without Lee is a bit like asking what body building would be like without Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Daniel