No B.S. martial arts

G

getgoin

I've been reading post in the forum and I have come across alot of people using the term "real" to discribe what they do or what others don't. I would like to open a polite discussion about what a "real" martial art is or isn't. What some of the training that goes into making it "real" or not. Also, what classifies an art as real. I don't think that there will be any wrong answers because people have different views on the subject. What I am trying to do is for everyone to discribe what they feel is a "real" martial art and why so I may get a better understanding of the people that make up the martial arts world of today.

In my training I put the most time into contact training, whether it be sparring, grappling or weapons sparring. For me a real martial art is martial in nature. Martial to me is fighting, in the purest cense. I would say that I break down my training like this 5% of the time I work forms, generally as a cool down. 10% Techniques mainly to retain muscle memory and see what works for me. I only do them after a hard workout. 15% Drills for muscle memory also and to work specific areas. 30% Fitness, "you can't fight if your not fit" is something I go by. 40% contact training. Getting in there and banging around. For me a real martial art is on that can and is tested on a regular basis by combatants with as much resistance as possible. I'm not one for zen training, meditation or anything like that, not that is wrong, I just don't get into it.

So, for me, a real art is one that focuses on contact with resistance, as to progress and evolve to allow modern combatives and methods.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Real in terms of what? There is fighting and there is self-defense. Some people don't take a martial art in order to learn how to fight. Really, if you avoid being where you shouldn't be, if you know how to interact with people, and you have self-control you can avoid most situations and many MAist probably will only be in one or two self-defense situations- if that. It could be argued that because of this, that you should train yourself so that you can succeed in life and not just "fighting".

So to me, a "real" art is one that helps those who practice it achieve their goals- what ever they may be. Self-defense, exercise, self-confidence, teach the kids discipline, fighting, or what ever.

As for my training, I have been slacking off this past 15 weeks due to being a full-time college student, being employeed full-time, and trying to teach MA. Starting Janurary my schedule will be changed up and I will get back to....

Mon. & Wed- Forms, Techniques, Plyometrics. Just working on the mechanics, exploring the forms, trying different things, and bettering the technique.

Tues & Thurs- Weight lifting, Cardio, train at instructor's school, and bag work. This is to help increase my physical strength and put what I have been working on to use on the bag and in sparring/partner drills in class.

Friday-Sunday- Work 12 hour night shifts. :2pistols:

OP
G

getgoin

Shu2jack said:
Real in terms of what? There is fighting and there is self-defense. Some people don't take a martial art in order to learn how to fight.
Thats why I started this. I wanted to see what people put importance on, what they consider "real". Like I said there is no "wrong" answer. It's all relative to the person and why they do what they do.

I posted my training like I did because, for me, "real" martial arts is all about training hard and often with people that will fight back.

Best of luck with school.

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess it does come down to what your looking for in your style.To me a real style is
1. That can be used to defend yourself and in a real fight situation.Not just tournaments or friendly sparring.
2.One that gives the user a sense of peace or enjoyment.If you train in something you dont like, you'll never be completely comfortable doing it.And if your not comfortable with it, how can you properly rely on it?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
getgoin said:
Thats why I started this. I wanted to see what people put importance on, what they consider "real". Like I said there is no "wrong" answer. It's all relative to the person and why they do what they do.
I posted my training like I did because, for me, "real" martial arts is all about training hard and often with people that will fight back.

Best of luck with school.
Real? It's when your MA makes you faster, and more effective against the one trying to hurt you or yours.
It's when you learn more about yourself in the time you spent (in whatever art) than it did in the 12 years and change at school.

Real? Hey man... that's relative to the individual don't cha think? Heh.

:asian: