Ninjutsu vs BJJ

Senin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how a ninjutsu fighter would stack up against a BBJ fighter.

Obviously the BBJer would come in for a take down. The nin-fighter would try some sort of counter manouver (during the takedown), possibly throat strike, eye gouch, or ear slap. Would that work, depends on the fighters. If not, then the fight would be on the ground, BBJ territory and he would have relative control. Of course, the nin-fighter doesn't have to play by rules-- that is what makes taijutsu the art it is-- and I am sure more eyes gouches, etc would follow.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ask Marcus Widengren. Oh, and ninjutsu isn't about physical techniques.

Obviously the BBJer would come in for a take down.

Or, the whole incident takes place in Brazil, he's a member of the Comando Vermelho and pulls out an Uzi. Sorry to be blunt, but you really need to lay off this black-and-white view of the world you seem to be espousing, as indicated by your recent posts.

The nin-fighter would try some sort of counter manouver (during the takedown), possibly throat strike, eye gouch, or ear slap.

Or a sprawl. :erg: The ear slap worked for me once, but that was purely accidental.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
C'mon. Do you really believe that a Brazilian criminal is going to use an Israeli gun?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Obviously the BBJer would come in for a take down. The nin-fighter would try some sort of counter manouver (during the takedown), possibly throat strike, eye gouch, or ear slap.

Not necessarily. Not giving them what they expect and letting them move as they wish is quite likely. ;)

and I am sure more eyes gouches, etc would follow.

Again, not necessarily. I don't believe BBT is about pain compliance, it is certainly there, but someone who is good doesn't have to create pain to control their attacker, the attacker creates their own pain. :p

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be blunt, but you really need to lay off this black-and-white view of the world you seem to be espousing, as indicated by your recent posts.

I've been thinking the same thing. I think every thread Sennin starts begins the same "What would x do against y?" I don't know about anyone else, but it gets old fast for me...

Each art has its own approaches; some arts cover one range exhaustively (like BJJ, judo, or jiujutsu), others cover more ranges less deeply. Every fighter has to solve the problems of strikes, blows, and throws. Each will do so within the scope of their own training.

OP
S

Senin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
jks,
Thanks great, but how about a response. Tell us, with your martial arts expertise, how a Nin-fighter and a BJJ-fighter would go at it.

If you have something to contribute.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing. I think every thread Sennin starts begins the same "What would x do against y?" I don't know about anyone else, but it gets old fast for me...

For me, it reminds me of the line from the movie "Stand by Me" that goes, 'who would win in a fight between Superman and Mighty Mouse.

For Cuthulu's sake, what are the circumstances? What are the many, many variables that could change things a hell of a lot?

If a bouncer took me to the ground because a woman told them I had slapped her I would respond a hell of a lot differnetly than the ex- boyfriend of a girl I was seeing that had three guys with him that were concealing thier hands. In the later case, the guy might find out how fast I could draw and use my Spyderco while on my back. But not in the first example. There are too many damn variables in a real situation to make any realistic statement. And those that do sound to me like the kids in the movie talking about Superman and Mighty Mouse.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, you've sparked my curiosity. :) I'm interested in hearing this story. :)

Mike

He's a scandanavian BJJ fighter who has extensive Bujinkan experience, including a year of study in Japan.

Having direct, top-rank, experience with both would probably lead him to have some insights on the matter.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Obviously the BBJer would come in for a take down. The nin-fighter would try some sort of counter manouver (during the takedown), possibly throat strike, eye gouch, or ear slap. Would that work, depends on the fighters. If not, then the fight would be on the ground, BBJ territory and he would have relative control. Of course, the nin-fighter doesn't have to play by rules-- that is what makes taijutsu the art it is-- and I am sure more eyes gouches, etc would follow.

Asst. Admin Note:

So you know, MartialTalk tries to discourage these style-vs-style discussions as it usually proves to be a pointless conversation and an argument of theory, especially when the philosophies are so vastly different.

Please ensure your discussion remains polite, respectful and within our posting rules.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assistant Administrator

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's a scandanavian BJJ fighter who has extensive Bujinkan experience, including a year of study in Japan.

Having direct, top-rank, experience with both would probably lead him to have some insights on the matter.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don is right, it is a completely fruitless discussion unless you provide the variables.

IE in a MMA sanctioned match, UFC style rules and reffing. In most cases, IMO the BJJ would own the Ninpo practitioner. Many of the tools we are trained to use are not allowed, silly rules like not kicking while on your back etc, gouging, hooking, minor joint manipulation etc.
Also in Ninjutsu a great deal of it is not getting hit in the 1st place, whether in the ring that is just not how a fight is fought. Not to mention that BJJ guys train to get their heads knocked about and their cardio is great. This is what they do. Comparing these styles in this matter is like asking a pilot to do heart surgery.

Ninjutsu, Ninpo whatever you call it is about survivial not competition. You do not learn auxillary skills, or skills of strategy from BJJ you learn how to fight.

On the other hand lets take what Ninpo might train for. What if a BJJ guy broke into your house into the middle of the night and now there is no ref, who would win? I think the Ninpo guy have an advantage here

But again it depends on the fight in the dog not the size right?

There are some arts that are better suited for competition on the mats. But it depends on the style of competition too.

BJJ isn't even that effective on the mats anymore in sports today. Look at Royce, who is the quinticential (sp) BJJ guy who was owned by Hughes. They all cross train in something else now. BJJ is just an element on it's own. Much like in Ninpo there is not just one element to battle, it is in effect a cross trained system built into one.

Enough of my babble.

Symbiote_X

White Belt
Reaction score
I always thought that Ninjutsu was the same thing that Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. I tought only the name Ninjutsu was changed to BJJ because of the bad rep/misconceptions that arise in the last decades (movies, etc). So when I red the first post I thought:" Why in the world someone would ask Ninjutsu (BJJ) vs BJJ (Ninjutsu)?"

If someone could tell if my initial tought was right, I would be happy...
(BTW I know that there is different school/tradition in Ninjutsu (X-kan and others))

Maybe the initial question was not precise or clear enough?

Remember I am just a newb! :p

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah thank you for pointing that out I guess I didn't see what he was asking properly.
That does look confusing sometimes.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is sometimes written as BBT.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is sometimes written as BJJ.

See the difference?

Abbreviations:

Bujinkan = BJK
Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu = BBT
Brazillian JuiJutsu = BJJ
Gracie JuiJutsu = GJJ
Japanese Jujutsu = JJJ

-DW

PS. To answer the OT: BJJ wins if it is a ground game. All other arenas are up for grabs.

Latest Discussions