Ninjutsu Good or Bad??

Gymboslice

White Belt
Reaction score
I was looking around for some information about Ninjutsu because I was thinking of studying some form of martial arts but I wanted it to cover multiple areas like striking, weapon combat, grappling and hand to hand. Ninjutsu seems to cover all the areas I'm interested in...

I found some information on this one page I found on the web the other day and that it was pretty cool - Training Ninjutsu

Anyone know any sites where I can get some real good information about Ninjutsu and Ninjutsu schools??

Also, what other martial arts would you guys recommend??

Thanks

Stuey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would say that Ninjutsu Covers pretty much everything. It doesnt cover it in all ways though. For e.g. I never saw any sparring in the 5 years I studied it as a kid. I was in the adult class for about 2 or 3 years of that too, but still no sparring. You could supplement your training yourself if you so wanted to cover such, or you could look for a system that does sparring. I cant think of a system as broad as ninjutsu though.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Ninjutsu, good or bad?
Yes... It is good OR bad... :)

It can be very difficult to find someone REALLY qualified to teach Ninjutsu. There are so many aspects to it, it is quite easy to "misrepresent" the art. If you happen upon someone qualified to teach it, it would be interesting to study. Good luck though, as skilled, "legitimate" teachers are few and far between.

If you are interested in weapons, pick which one you are most interested in and study it, along with another empty hand system. That just may be easier then finding the "real McCoy" of the Ninjitsu realm...

Just my thoughts.

Thank you,
Milt G.

TheStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gimboslice,

You need to decide EXACTLY what you want most. Your desire to get everything is a setup for a classic "Jack-of-all-trades, Master of NONE" situation.

Ninjutsu is a very good choice for what you want, but even there, you need to decide what you want. Below is my humble opinion of what your options are:

1. Bujinkan - Very good body movement and smooth/flexible motion. Focus is creativity sparked by basic techniques. ALMOST no contact or sparring. Power is a low focus, leverage seems higher focus.

2. Gembukan - Very strong Kamae and very focused on traditional HARD application of techniques. Peerfection in basics seems to be the biggest focus. Not sure about sparring, but I believe I have heard a few G=kan students mention resistance in training. Seems to be the closest to "classical" concept of Ninjutsu - must dodge&survive a Saaki double-strike with a live/sharp blade to reach highest levels (Jun-Shihan & Shihan-cho) http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.pl?genbukan_titles_master_shihanCho
This organization also has MORE ryu/schools than Bujinkan

3. Jeninkan - Seems midway between the Buj and Gem. Focus on strong basics and hard/strong techniques. If you see any videos made in the 1970's with Soke Hatsumi, this seems to have maintained that style, while the Bujinkan has shifted into more fluidity.

4. ToShin-Do - This is NOT a classical Ninjutsu organization. Hayes basically took the traditional Taijutsu from the Bujinkan (1970's and early 80's style of execution) and modified it to be aimed at modern fighters. The three traditional systems train with basics designed against traditional fully extended kicks and punches. TSD trains with basics aimed at modern jabs,hooks, upercuts, etc. (Not saying the others can't respond devastatingly, but that is the student adapting beyond tradition; while TSD starts there). Advanced belt levels (2nd degree and above) seem to really build up the grappling skills. Weapons are pretty much considered optional, but it is very much in evidence.

So decide what you really want and then pursue that.

I also invite anyone else to correct any mistatement I might have accidently made. This is my perception based on various training materials, conversations, and videos I have been exposed to, so please take this with a grain of salt.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You may want to look in to Kajukenpo, Kempo or Kenpo schools near you! ..even any Jujistu schools too...

Yes, finding an excellant teacher is just as important too...

Aloha,

(Judo?) ....can't seem to let go of this...(this is for others who have a hard time excepting it?)

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Based on my experience in taijutsu, I'd say it's good for most everything except groundwork, but that was with my class, where the ground was almost our enemy. However, the training was initially very hard core, and flowed easily between strikes (mostly precision and technical strikes, not so much the closed fist) and grappling.

With my new, but admittedly small, amount of experience in Kajukenbo, I'd say it has a good basis for that "middle" ground between striking/grappling, striking/groundwork, grappling/groundwork and so on and so forth, meaning that a lot of the techniques make for perfect transitions into either or.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was looking around for some information about Ninjutsu because I was thinking of studying some form of martial arts but I wanted it to cover multiple areas like striking, weapon combat, grappling and hand to hand. Ninjutsu seems to cover all the areas I'm interested in...
I found some information on this one page I found on the web the other day and that it was pretty cool - Training Ninjutsu
Anyone know any sites where I can get some real good information about Ninjutsu and Ninjutsu schools??
Also, what other martial arts would you guys recommend??
Thanks

As other have mentioned Bujinkan, Genbukan and Jinekan I'm gonna be the guy who brings up the Korean martial arts. You seem to be looking for a hybrid art that's got standup, ground work and weapons so you might want to look into Kuk Sool Won, Hwa Rang Do, Gonkwon Yusul and Farang Mu Sul (founded by Master DeAlba who's a member here). All very in depth styles, all with serious, tough training (as in more so than current Bujinkan).

OP
G

Gymboslice

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all your advice guys..

I will look into these other martial arts that you speak of and find the best one for me..

Thanks

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the end, that is the deciding factor above all others, Gymboslice i.e. whether you 'take' to the art or not.

Whilst there are many, many, MANY, style based arguments and discussions on the Net as to what is 'best', in the end, if you are not motivated to train and don't enjoy your training, then you won't learn.

Find what you like and study that.

Effectiveness comes from training and determination rather than the specific minutiae of a given art. From my own experience, I have handled every 'ninjutsu' student I've ever met with consumate ease ... but I've never sparred with Brian or Dale (members here at MT) ... and what I know about them tells me I wouldn't want to :D.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify my last there as, re-reading it when I'm not falling asleep in my chair, I realise that it could be misinterpreted as somewhat self-aggrandising :O. The bit I missed off in my tiredness was to make clear that the Ninjutsu students I've sparred with were less experienced than myself.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions