Master Wongs take on MMA vs. CMA

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
This guy has some good videos and seems pretty good at what he teaches. Here is his take on MMA vs. CMA or Kung Fu.
[yt]9JgDNO25IGw[/yt]

Check out some of his instructional videos on his YT page. He has an entire section on SD only.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh dear oh dear! Firstly a warning for swearing should be added, the kanguage is 'ripe' to say the least.
Nothing in that video would make me take that man seriously I'm afraid, it's nothing that hasn't been said before and just perpetuates myths.
I have a friend who's first style is CMA and he fights well in MMA. I'd really like to see us move away from all the style v style posts and threads.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah he should cut back the cuss words. I find him funny and entertaining to watch myself, he does make me laugh. But when I put aside some of his antics for show and entertainment some of his videos are pretty informative. This is one of his segments called ask Even. People write in and ask Even some questions and Even then picks one and then takes it to Master Wong. Most of the times they are just funny. But his SD and WC vids are pretty good with some excellent break down of the techniques.

I use to study WC a while back so I like to watch from time to time as a refresher.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh dear oh dear! Firstly a warning for swearing should be added, the kanguage is 'ripe' to say the least.
Nothing in that video would make me take that man seriously I'm afraid, it's nothing that hasn't been said before and just perpetuates myths.
I have a friend who's first style is CMA and he fights well in MMA. I'd really like to see us move away from all the style v style posts and threads.

Ahhh yes the old CMA vs MMA silliness..... that gets a :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

On the scale, the only thing different is this time it is punctuated by an expletive or two

EDIT

You know I just wanted to add this about the topic of MMA or CMA versus anything.

I was once talking to my Sanda Sifu about MMA and his response was "it's probably a good martial art, sounds like sports sanhou, but I don’t know anything about it, I train Sanda", he has also said the pretty much the same thing about the sports version of Sanda (Sanshou) too. I just thought that was interesting and wanted to post it.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
LMAO! That is funny!

Maybe it's me, but I think, there was just a bit of tongue in cheek throughout the video...

I wouldn't worry too much about myth perpetuation - it seemed to be in line with British comedy sketches. Though, there are a few Americans I know that would think this was all seriousness.... Dry humor here seems to be hit or miss.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
LMAO! That is funny!

Maybe it's me, but I think, there was just a bit of tongue in cheek throughout the video...

I wouldn't worry too much about myth perpetuation - it seemed to be in line with British comedy sketches. Though, there are a few Americans I know that would think this was all seriousness.... Dry humor here seems to be hit or miss.
See I too find him funny. Even in his more serious videos I find myself laughing although I do think he is trying to be serious in them. Not this one but the others.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
LMAO! That is funny!

"I'd like to welcome the pommy bastard to God's own Earth, and remind him that we don't like stuck-up sticky-beaks here." -2nd Bruce

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ATC

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH MY!!!! Thanks for the laugh. That was great!!!!

Cheers, the guy is actually quite sweet I think! I need subtitles as I didn't catch a lot of what he was saying!
Beware the judy chop!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, A True Master is "Humble" and show Kindness to everyone!

Even if it was for a "show"? ....it made him look terrible and too much "bad words" for us!

The Points are well taken...MMA/CMA's have rules to protect the fighters

..not to mention it seems he carries a "bad temper" too....

First Impressions..can be lasting.....He give us a BAD impression of himself..

He maybe skillful in fighting? ...not in personality....!

Wrong role model types for his Kung-fu...

Aloha, ..disppointed on the way he acted ...um ACTED!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wasn't 'dry British humour' btw, it was just silly.

This is dry British humour which reading the comments a lot of people don't realise is comedy! I've chosen a subject everyone can understand lol!

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
That wasn't 'dry British humour' btw, it was just silly.

This is dry British humour which reading the comments a lot of people don't realise is comedy! I've chosen a subject everyone can understand lol!

You have to understand that even the zaniest and silliest of british humor comes across as dry to most Americans I have had the pleasure of sharing the laughs with.

Silly to most Americans is Jim Carrey. Heck even Faulty Towers comes across as dry to most people I know, though I don't think it is...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to understand that even the zaniest and silliest of british humor comes across as dry to most Americans I have had the pleasure of sharing the laughs with.

Silly to most Americans is Jim Carrey. Heck even Faulty Towers comes across as dry to most people I know, though I don't think it is...

Mmmm, I see lol! So when I watch the OP video I see it as very silly and intelligence insulting and others see comedy? I know the guy talking is English but if the other guy is a serious martial artist he should never have allowed himself to be filmed like that, the language alone is unacceptable and the nonsense at the beginning was off putting. SL is correct when he says first impressions count and that was a really bad first impression.