Ninjustu acceptance in the Martail Arts World

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'f you're on 'ignore', the other guy still sees a placeholder that says 'This message is hidden because you placed XYZ on your ignore list'. And then you can choose to still view it so as far as ignoring goes, it doesn't really work and yes, there is a chance he still views your posts.

Also, If someone quotes your post, then that quoted text is still visible to him.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Er, I'm being ignored here, so I doubt that this will get to who it needs to, but on the off-chance it gets to him, this thread is a very good example of why someone with no real experience starting a new "system" gets the reaction they do (swordsmanship in this case): http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php/24195-Nihontodo-Combative-Kenjutsu

For those of you that venture, enjoy! (Really can't believe some people some times....)

Looks very similar.

Founded a new system, and judging by the youtube videos, have no idea what they are doing. No zanshin, no efficient movement, no power generation.... even I could do better than 'that'. And then there is the overly polite, 'let's all be friends' attitude that is supposed to gloss over the cluelessness.

You know it wouldn't be so bad if these people didn't try to leech off authentic Japanese systems by using the same name, thereby ruining the reputation os serious practicioners. If they'd just call it 'Bob's whack-a-mole swordplay', noone would mind. but no. They have no training, watch a couple of videos, and suddenly they're masters, claim to have learned koryu systems and doing kenjutsu / ninjutsu / whatever.

Just sad.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Looks very similar.

Founded a new system, and judging by the youtube videos, have no idea what they are doing. No zanshin, no efficient movement, no power generation.... even I could do better than 'that'. And then there is the overly polite, 'let's all be friends' attitude that is supposed to gloss over the cluelessness.

You know it wouldn't be so bad if these people didn't try to leech off authentic Japanese systems by using the same name, thereby ruining the reputation os serious practicioners. If they'd just call it 'Bob's whack-a-mole swordplay', noone would mind. but no. They have no training, watch a couple of videos, and suddenly they're masters, claim to have learned koryu systems and doing kenjutsu / ninjutsu / whatever.

Just sad.

*Gasp* Don't bring 'Bob's Whack-a-mole Swordplay' into it, because authentic 'Bob's Whack-a-mole Swordplay' practitioners hate it when people steal their terminology and start up their own fake 'Bob's Whack-a-mole Swordplay' schools! :D

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Should I put food and drink away first?

EDIT: Too late... :( How is any of that Kenjutsu? Why is there so much sword on sword whacking? Why are the practitioners bouncing around? Where is the control in anything or the body weight behind the cuts? Why am I, a 5th Kyu with no official training in Kenjutsu (apart from the basics we cover in class as attackers) able to question this? So many questions... On the upside just read the first page of the thread it's on, love the fact that the OP questions what exactly Ninten Do is and then invites people to join them to learn proficiency in using Shinken. That's made my night

Last edited:

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahh I see... they are missing out!

Went through the rest of that thread and am sorry to say followed all the other links. Still cringing from the shopping mall display as well as their video showcasing their "Battodo". Bit disappointed though that they didn't get the guy to demo his Iai with a Shinken... Noto would have been fun ;)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Damn you beat me to the punch.
Although I would have chosen 'way of the man point'
人点堵

Personally I like this one better because if we loosely interpret it as a euphemism, it is kind of appropriate for the topic at hand (the made up kenjutsu system).
Japanese is a great language for puns, ambiguity and double meanings.

Slightly off topic: I know a guy who founded his own system of jujutsu based on hakko ryu with western influences. The japanese name for his system was 'chidori' which he says means love flower (note that this person is really not good with languages). Somehow I think he failed to think that one through :D

Last edited:

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
... 'way of the man point'
人点堵

Personally I like this one better because if we loosely interpret it as a euphemism, it is kind of appropriate for the topic at hand

No pun intended Bruno? :D

Slightly off topic: I know a guy who founded his own system of jujutsu based on hakko ryu with western influences. The japanese name for his system was 'chidori' which he says means love flower (note that this person is really not good with languages). Somehow I think he failed to think that one through :D

Wait... really? I mean REALLY?? That's gold! Do you think I could get him to help me name my new Ryu that I'll start after I turn 25 and read a few more books/manga & watch more youtube?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wait... really? I mean REALLY?? That's gold! Do you think I could get him to help me name my new Ryu that I'll start after I turn 25 and read a few more books/manga & watch more youtube?

:)

And yes, really. Just for clarification though: that person did have a thorough schooling in hakko ryu. Due to circumstances which are irrelevant here, he founded his own 'all style jujutsu' organization. He knows his stuff. He is just terrible with languages.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You're Australian. Kan Goh Ryu.

:redcaptur

Muawijhe

Green Belt
Reaction score
You're Australian. Kan Goh Ryu.

That's classic. I'll be sure to send my money on over to Mr. Kim so I can get black belt certificates in Niten Do and Kan Goh Ryu to hang on the wall of my dojo for when I create my own ryu. It'll incorporate the techniques of the Ninja that fled to Germany after Sekigahara. I'll call it Große Wiener Ryu. Every student will get a piece of the Schnitzel...

[oh, that was bad...my apologies...]

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's classic. I'll be sure to send my money on over to Mr. Kim so I can get black belt certificates in Niten Do and Kan Goh Ryu to hang on the wall of my dojo for when I create my own ryu. It'll incorporate the techniques of the Ninja that fled to Germany after Sekigahara. I'll call it Große Wiener Ryu. Every student will get a piece of the Schnitzel...

[oh, that was bad...my apologies...]

Think your students might be interested in my own art, Rhee Bok Do? I think we have some cross-ranking possibilities here :D

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favorite is Rod Sacharnoski who 'founded' Seidokan jujutsu. He got an actual signed certificate from Japan that used the kanji 性 instead of 正 for 'sei'. This changes Seidokan from 'true way house' to 'sex way house'. :)

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Is this what you mean? It's about as relevant as what some of these people are attempting to do anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clicked on originally becaue of the title, got confused because it wasn't about the rest of us martial artists accepting Ninjutsu at all. However havong a lousy couple of days due to lousy cold my day has been brightened considerably by the last few posts so thank you everyone, much appreciated as I chuckle into my hot toddies. (you do have them where you are don't you?)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with creating your own art, as long as you don't claim that it is what it isn't. For example, if I were to create my own art comprising of the techniques I learned in Shotokan Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Wado Karate, and Shuri Ryu Karate, nobody would really care what I called it, as long as I didn't try to call it Brazilian Ninjutsu, Koryu Kempo Ju Jutsu, or Super Gung Fu.

However, when you try to call an art any kind of "Ninjutsu" without there being any significant experience and / or knowledge in a respectable system of Ninjutsu, you're going to get mocked, belittled, etc.

However havong a lousy couple of days due to lousy cold my day has been brightened considerably by the last few posts so thank you everyone, much appreciated as I chuckle into my hot toddies. (you do have them where you are don't you?)

Yes, indeed. Hot cider spiked with Applejack brandy, along with a dose of cinnamon schnapps is one favorite, as is hot chocolate mixed in with 80 proof peppermint schnapps, topped with whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles, and stirred with a peppermint candy cane.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with creating your own art, as long as you don't claim that it is what it isn't. For example, if I were to create my own art comprising of the techniques I learned in Shotokan Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Wado Karate, and Shuri Ryu Karate, nobody would really care what I called it, as long as I didn't try to call it Brazilian Ninjutsu, Koryu Kempo Ju Jutsu, or Super Gung Fu.

However, when you try to call an art any kind of "Ninjutsu" without there being any significant experience and / or knowledge in a respectable system of Ninjutsu, you're going to get mocked, belittled, etc.

Yes, indeed. Hot cider spiked with Applejack brandy, along with a dose of cinnamon schnapps is one favorite, as is hot chocolate mixed in with 80 proof peppermint schnapps, topped with whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles, and stirred with a peppermint candy cane.

Wow! I'm going to have to try that.

Just seen my spelling, it really is an off day so off to bed!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I have a cold I like hot milk with some sugar, honey, and good rum.

Latest Discussions