Ninjustu acceptance in the Martail Arts World

Kumori Ryu Ninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Ive had my ins and outs on this site... Im here to find the opinions of others on a matter that has concerned me for a while since joining this forum... If we as Ninjutsu Practitioners are to claim that we study an art based on the idea of perseverance in the world that we are born into, is it not ideal to help accept all who strive to learn and grow in an art that is for the common good of all men and women..
Simply put, Ive been taught by my instructors that the best method of defense is to simply refuse to fight until it is the final answer...
I find that Ninjutsu is an art that "Fights" within itself...What do you think we can do as Practitioners to let go of animosity and learn to accept others for the good intentions that they hold... Are we not all of the same earth? Are we not all of the same God? I ask you to please let go of your hate or disrespect and help to bring others into this art with out ridicule or a superior mind set...I have always taught my students to listen to those willing to teach and to approach all martial arts with an open mind. I have great pride in my students for there willingness to learn with out judgment...
Please let go of your differences and join together as Martial Artists...

Your thoughts are welcome!!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
People part of koryu traditions recognized by the Japanese government are generally dismissive of the X-kans. as a koryu tradition.........

People part of the X-kans are generally dismissive of neo-ninjas (you're kind of asking about this category) sometimes even when they have an origin or tie to those very traditions.

Neo-ninjas? Dismissive of being dismissed? I dunno. Arguing for acceptance, sort of like the X-kan people arguing for acceptance as a koryu (they are) tradition.

"Ninjutsu"-as I understand it- isn't really an "art," as much as a series of stratagems and tactics that really isn't taught much, even in traditions where it exists or has existed. As such, it cannot "fight within itself." The people who have it-or think they do-don't think that many of the others do.

There is no "fight," though there does tend to be suspicion of those who chose to start their own tradition, for whatever the reason, as well as the piles, and piles, and piles of B.S. and obfuscation that so many people use for their origins.......as well as anyone who uses the very word in the name of their practice. The internet, other forums, wikipedia-all have been involved in ridiculous discussions like this one.

In the end, accept the differences, and just follow your path-who really cares what others do?

Then again, I'm not a ninja....move along, move along.....seriously, where in Colorado are you? Don Roley is in Colorado-you should find him and ask him your questions.....<snicker!>

OP
K

Kumori Ryu Ninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Excellent opinion indeed!!

I feel that there is a fight within the Ninjutsu community based on their lineage.. its a my soke is bigger and better than your soke battle, It never helps to knock or push off others, but in the case of acceptance, I feel its an integral part of martial arts to help welcome others and spread a positive attitude in order to keep a tradition alive...

I have started my own Ryu, However Ive done this so I can bring a new sense of acceptance into the world of Ninjutsu... Ive received Kudos and Ridicule for this, But I persevere!

Thanks again for your Post Sir....

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excellent opinion indeed!!

I feel that there is a fight within the Ninjutsu community based on their lineage.. its a my soke is bigger and better than your soke battle, It never helps to knock or push off others, but in the case of acceptance, I feel its an integral part of martial arts to help welcome others and spread a positive attitude in order to keep a tradition alive...

I have started my own Ryu, However Ive done this so I can bring a new sense of acceptance into the world of Ninjutsu... Ive received Kudos and Ridicule for this, But I persevere!

No you are not bringing new acceptance in the world of ninjutsu.
If the things you do are not based on (similar) strategies and concepts that are included in actual ninjutsu, then why do you want to use the ninjutsu name?

Is that an unreasonable question?
You are not Japanese.
Whatever you teach (not you in specific) does not resemble ninjutsu at all, in technical content or in underlying concepts.
You have no knowledge of Japanese culture or language.

So... WHY the ninjutsu name?
And why the 'ryu' name if the way you are doing things does not resemble the ryuha approach AT ALL?

OP
K

Kumori Ryu Ninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Simply because I chose to do so sir....

You are very certain that I know nothing yet you have no idea who I am... This is the exact faults I am referring to.. No I'm not Japanese.. However, I am learning the culture and the language in attempts to one day visit and learn first hand the ways of Japanese martial arts culture...

Your Opinion is of value to me... Thank you sir...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

You are very certain that I know nothing yet you have no idea who I am

Oh please.

based on this post:

We know exactly who you are, Jon.

Jon Duvall is Co-Owner of B. Maximus Enterprises with Wife and business partner Julie Duvall. Jon has had various martial arts training under military tutors and certified Sensei. Most recently with the Champaign Bujinkan Dojo headed by Shidoshi-Ho Allen Ennen. Jon is also a member of To-Shin-Do Ninjutsu, headed and created by An-shu Stephen K. Hayes. Prior Naval training includes Military MMA, basic hand to hand combat and [FONT=Georgia, serif]small arms training. Jon received recognized professionalism and 9mm awards while enlisted. Prior to military enlistment, Jon independently studied martial arts and has had a strong focus on the art of Ninjutsu. Now, while still active in To-Shin-Do and the Bujinkan, Jon has created the Kumori Ryu to help spread and share the art of peace and all that is "Nin"[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif].[/FONT]

So, why not go ahead and contact the Unholy...? :lol: More to the point, with him just down the road someplace, why would anyone serious about "Nin," not go to him instead of you??

OP
K

Kumori Ryu Ninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Excellent!
Thank you for checking out my site and bringing attention to it!!
I enjoy your posts...

Blessings to you!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes. and that is exactly why we will never accept it as 'ninjutsu'
You are living out a fantasy, wehreas we are concerned with history and accuracy.

You are very certain that I know nothing yet you have no idea who I am... This is the exact faults I am referring to.. No I'm not Japanese.. However, I am learning the culture and the language in attempts to one day visit and learn first hand the ways of Japanese martial arts culture...

Wouldn't it then make sense to learn first and then do something?
You picked your name without consulting with a Japanese person (since it didn't mean what you thought it meant).
You picked the 'ryu' moniker without caring what it means
You picked the ninjutsu moniker without caring about the underlying concepts.

To me it sounds not like you want to learn. A desire to learn implies correctness.

Your Opinion is of value to me... Thank you sir...

No it isn't. If it was, you wouldn't keep arguing that what neo ninjers are doing is 'ninjutsu'.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow... The assistant instructor "Sensei" has trained for..... wait for it.....Less than one year when awarded rank of sensei!!

I suppose thats how they get students?

OP
K

Kumori Ryu Ninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bruno,

Thank you again for your opinion..

Im afraid however that I'm not here to argue but instead to encourage....

Thank you!

OP
K

Kumori Ryu Ninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wow... The assistant instructor "Sensei" has trained for..... wait for it.....Less than one year when awarded rank of sensei!!

I suppose thats how they get students?

I am very proud of my Student Brad.. He has earned the rank he has received.. He started his training in early 2009, that would be well over one year sir...keep in mind that the Ro-Nin rank is not a Mastery. It is a point where a student leaves his teacher to train and teach on there own. When I was in Bujinkan our lead student received his Shodon rank after 2.5 years, however our sensei hardly trained once a week, and only in the summer.. I worked with my student as much as possible and we have put all of our effort into our training!

Thank you for your post!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I am very proud of my Student Brad.. He has earned the rank he has received.. He started his training in early 2009, that would be more than one year sir...keep in mind that the Ro-Nin rank is not a rank for everyone. It is a point where a student leaves his master to train and teach on there own. When I was in Bujinkan our lead student received his Shodon rank after 2.5 years, however our sensei hardly trained once a week.. I worked with my student as much as possible and we have put all of our effort into our training!

Thank you for your post!

Well, yeah...:rolleyes:

Im not conserned with what you think in the slightest..
Im not on the earth to make bujinkan students happy..
I have nothing to hide.. Im a 6th kyu Bujinkan and I study To-Shin-Do without rank... I don't care about rank... Time is important not rank...

3 yrs Studying bujinkan
1 yr Toshindo studies

Still haven't answered why you haven't sought out the Unholy.....
:rolleyes:

OP
K

Kumori Ryu Ninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes 6th Kyu...

Ive been training for 2 years since I received that rank, however My sensei quit training.. I can not help but learn from his mistake... Ninja is to never quit!

Besides my Ro-Nin certification is through another Association other than Bujinkan...

Thank you!

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, you seem a very humble fellow and quite honest. Great qualities to have, for that i give you respect.
Good luck with all your endeavors, good training and good health to you.

:cheers:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's with the 'Champaign' name? It's close enough to 'champagne' to be a breach of copyright :) Yeah, the French have copyright on the name.

I want to be a Ro-nin! sounds very cool, Can I be a lone one or do I have to find 46 others to join me?

OP
K

Kumori Ryu Ninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What's with the 'Champaign' name? It's close enough to 'champagne' to be a breach of copyright :) Yeah, the French have copyright on the name.

I want to be a Ro-nin! sounds very cool, Can I be a lone one or do I have to find 46 others to join me?

Champaign is a city in Illinois.. It was 45 minutes from where I resided when I lived in IL... My sensei called us the Champaign Bujinkan...

Im sure your a Ro-Nin already! LOL

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes 6th Kyu...

Ive been training for 2 years since I received that rank, however My sensei quit training.. I can not help but learn from his mistake... Ninja is to never quit!

Besides my Ro-Nin certification is through another Association other than Bujinkan...

Thank you!

If you are a 6th kyu, you are still a newbie, so why do you think you have enough understanding to form your own organization and even worse, start 'licensing' other people to titles that have nothing to do with proficiency. As an aside, 'Ronin' is a word with a specific pre-existing meaning. another 'fantasy ryu' red flag.

If you no longer belong to the Bujinkan and you have no Bujinkan sensei, then you have no technical basis at all from which to claim you are teaching ninjutsu. You will not get closer to understanding since you have noone correcting your newbie mistakes and teaching you new things. Then you are like an orange belt karate student opening his own dojo and founding his own karate style, calling himself master.

However, if you still belong to the Buinkan...
You do know that bujinkan members are not supposed to belong to any other organization that teaches ninjutsu or ninpo, do you?
Hatsumi sensei himself said so, just like the heads of the other kans. We already know that you don't really care what some old guy in Japan says, but since it is HIS organization, you could have the decency not to drag the bujinkan name through the mud.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
What are you referring to???
I have no clue what you mean in this post??
Please specify....

I probably shouldn't do this, but......

Colorado Springs Bujinkan

The teacher

Don Roley spent almost 15 years studying the Bujinkan in Japan and his total experience in the art is over 20 years. When master instructor Hiroshi Nagase could not make class, it was Don he asked to teach in his place. Many Japanese instructors used him as a translator for class. He is widely acknowledged as an expert in ninjutsu and its history and is currently working on a translation of an ancient text of ninjutsu. He has worked as a pistol instructor, served in the military and studied a variety of martial arts since 1978. He hates his mother in law.

Of course, he hates LARPER ninjers even more than his mother in law......:lol:

Latest Discussions