Ninjutsu compared to other arts?

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There has been much discussion over the years that some people have the oppinion that ninjutsu is inferior / superior Etc. to other arts. I have heard even from some of those in the Bujinkan that they feel it is superior. Some even say inferior.

I have a friend that trains in Kung Fu, he is the same comparitive rank as I, and we have the most wonderful discussions about what they do and what we do. What we have found is that in one discussion that our joint locks are the same.

One of My teachers Thom Humphries and I agree on one point, that the Buinkan is not unique in our Techniques. Lets face it, there (are / only) so many ways a person may be twisted, kicked punched, thrown, cut / stabbed. Etc. When a thread of the same techniques run through so many other arts, what is it about ninjutsu that makes it different?

What are your oppinions?

Now with all this being said, please do not bash another art. I personally do not like art bashing. If you have trained in another art and now train in ninjutsu, your oppinion would be welcomed. Vice versa.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that if you get skilled enough in practically any art (current mcdojo variants excluded), then you will see that the techniques are the same. After all, there's only so many ways to punch, kick, throw, etc; as you said. The major differences lie in the philosophies behind the arts. Some students mesh well with a particular art's philosophy, and that's where you see bujin.

Jeff

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think, in the end, it comes down to 1) what works for YOU, and 2) what you enjoy doing.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I think, in the end, it comes down to 1) what works for YOU, and 2) what you enjoy doing.
applications of the sometimes different. but i agree with technopunk.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As with any art, there is a range of good ones and bad ones.

Ninjitsu's bad end drops pretty low, giving the upper end a worse reputation then it might deserve.

Largely this is due to the amount of ninjitsu schools that popped up out of no where after the "ninja craze". Also the idea of training to be a ninja tends to draw in some...umm... "special" people.

If you found a school/teacher that you like then great, but the name has lost a lot of credibility and become a bit of a joke for many. Not many people will take you seriously if you say you are a ninja...

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
As with any art, there is a range of good ones and bad ones.

Ninjitsu's bad end drops pretty low, giving the upper end a worse reputation then it might deserve.

Largely this is due to the amount of ninjitsu schools that popped up out of no where after the "ninja craze". Also the idea of training to be a ninja tends to draw in some...umm... "special" people.

If you found a school/teacher that you like then great, but the name has lost a lot of credibility and become a bit of a joke for many. Not many people will take you seriously if you say you are a ninja...

I've heard it said that in the Bujinkan you have the freedom to be as good or as bad as you want.

/s

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Not many people will take you seriously if you say you are a ninja...
Not many in the Bujinkan will take you seriously if you say you are a ninja... ;)

Jeff

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Not many in the Bujinkan will take you seriously if you say you are a ninja... ;)

Jeff
THATS why everyone ignores me. Sheesh.

:D

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i know i put the black eye-liner on and my mask and i get laughed at. they say i look like king tut with a ski mask! :rofl:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enson said:
i know i put the black eye-liner on and my mask and i get laughed at. they say i look like king tut with a ski mask! :rofl:
Enson, are you making fun of my Eye makeup?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that trying to compare arts can be like trying to compare apples and oranges. The first thing you have to ask is what is the art trying to achieve.

In the Bujinkan I learn, the idea is primarily about getting home alive. I have learned arts that the primary idea is the defeat the other guy. They may sound the same, but they are vastly different.

Let us take a look at an art that is made for police. They need to run towards danger. Most of us should really run away from danger. They need ways of holding down people. How many civilians need that skill?

Oh, and let us talk about basic ways of moving. I was just watching a knife fighting tape and noticed that the guys seemed to not use much more than their arms. That does not result in very effective blows. But it is a bit quicker, and with a knife who cares about hitting hard? So, is the art about using a knife whenever you can or are you assuming a more unarmed situation most of the time?

There are some arts created by frauds and teenagers that are just not worth mentioning. But there are good arts that can' t be compared with others any more than apples can be compared to oranges.

Latest Discussions