Ninja Stars

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
ooops ...I guess you didn't read the bit on how to conceal them from the leo's in the training manual lol

"Them?" The PD shouldn't have been able to see HIM, let alone the stars!

Beat me to it.

Well that is true...if I were Ninja... I was a simple TKD guy back then who just happened to have a ninja star...which I actually got when I was a simple Jujutsu guy...in the early 70s.....parents got their kids things like that back then......little did I know I lacked the ninja invisibility skills to hide it. And in my defense the first place I saw them was on Kung Fu the series.... the original one...yeah I know...they were thrown by a Ninja...but it was Kung Fu...... might be what lead me to CMA years later

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well that is true...if I were Ninja... I was a simple TKD guy back then who just happened to have a ninja star...which I actually got when I was a simple Jujutsu guy...in the early 70s.....parents got their kids things like that back then......little did I know I lacked the ninja invisibility skills to hide it. And in my defense the first place I saw them was on Kung Fu the series.... the original one...yeah I know...they were thrown by a Ninja...but it was Kung Fu...... might be what lead me to CMA years later

so there rests the case for the defense lol

D

Deleted member 39746

Awh, i have wanted one of them for a while. but i think they are banned in the U.K, like the weaponized chains. :( going back to the 80's when they were legal and subsequently banned. :p

(in the spirit of the discussion and to see if i am right or not) From what i have been told they are featured in samurai fighting styles and not in Ninjitsu ones and they are used to cut with not throw. The primary source cited was some samurai treatise.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Awh, i have wanted one of them for a while. but i think they are banned in the U.K, like the weaponized chains. :( going back to the 80's when they were legal and subsequently banned. :p

(in the spirit of the discussion and to see if i am right or not) From what i have been told they are featured in samurai fighting styles and not in Ninjitsu ones and they are used to cut with not throw. The primary source cited was some samurai treatise.
Yes, banned in UK. Specifically told by my bujinkan instructor. Also, they can be thrown (in fact, I believe mostly thrown)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Look at shuriken not just the "stars" as that might give you a better idea

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

They're thrown. However, unlike what's shown in the movies, throwing stars are more an irritant than anything else. They lack the ability to penetrate enough to cause a serious wound, except in a few exceptionally unlikely scenarios.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
They're thrown. However, unlike what's shown in the movies, throwing stars are more an irritant than anything else. They lack the ability to penetrate enough to cause a serious wound, except in a few exceptionally unlikely scenarios.
I remember reading that real ninjas (as in, the old shadow warriors of Japan) had used them primarily as distractions and not necessarily to harm with the stars.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I remember reading that real ninjas (as in, the old shadow warriors of Japan) had used them primarily as distractions and not necessarily to harm with the stars.

I can throw a chop stick though a thick cardboard box at close range and although Shuriken may have been more of an annoyance, when I was a preteen, at 12 feet I could stick them in a log, so they are capable of doing damage.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It depends on how you define "harm" I would say. Yes, they can cut you. They might even stick into you. But (speaking specifically about the stars) they're not going to penetrate deep enough (again, except in a few rare cases) to cause a debilitating injury. In other words, they wouldn't stop you from continuing the fight.

I can throw a chop stick though a thick cardboard box at close range and although Shuriken may have been more of an annoyance, when I was a preteen, at 12 feet I could stick them in a log, so they are capable of doing damage.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about stars. A spike could be a different story entirely, depending on factors like weight and shape.
They can do damage, but not serious damage.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just trod on a thorn thing.

It ended the fight...

(Bloody thing still hurts now - a good 5 minutes after pulling it out.)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could put and EYE out with that thing

That's not what happened to my eye...
And you'll recall I said there were a few unlikely exceptions to the 'trivial damage' limitation.

I just trod on a thorn thing.

It ended the fight...

(Bloody thing still hurts now - a good 5 minutes after pulling it out.)

Yeah, but you're clearly a wimp. Actually, I'd bet money that if you trod on that thorn while in a real fight (as in, kill or be killed, the sort of thing where weapons are involved) you'd not even notice that torn till later.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, but you're clearly a wimp. Actually, I'd bet money that if you trod on that thorn while in a real fight (as in, kill or be killed, the sort of thing where weapons are involved) you'd not even notice that torn till later.

No no, I'm clearly a wimp - nearly spilled my tea and everything ;)

In actuality, the amount of cuts and stuff I get while working and simply not notice until later is silly so it needn't be kill or be killed to ignore "little" things, just already occupied with something. I was clearing some hawthorn last week and my legs look like I'm some sort of emo teen...

The sort of scene in a film where a throwing star sticks a quarter inch in someone and they collapse in pain - yeah, not happening.

Latest Discussions