Nike's "offensive" shoe, the black and tan...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a big deal? Oh yes. The problem is that the Black and Tans are the enemy to half the Irish and heroes to the other half, you'd have people from one side taunting the other and them retaliating. Not just in Northern Ireland in Scotland too where several people have just been arrested for sending bombs to the Celtic Football Club's manager and others connected to them. This is a subject that is volatile at the best of times, Nike may be lighting the fuse on yet another powder keg.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So do they shoot black and tan dogs over there, too?

Sheesh....

On the other hand, the shoe is butt ugly...why not pull it, throw it on a container to be sold 2nd hand in Africa....like they do with the championship gear of the runner ups.....

But as being somewhere on the other side of the world (in more than one perspective) can the Irish of either side expect - or even demand - that the rest of the world is informed of such things?

I mean, I guess now this infamous troop pops up in internet searches, but did it prior to that?

Asking here, not being a jerk (for a change)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sheesh....

On the other hand, the shoe is butt ugly...why not pull it, throw it on a container to be sold 2nd hand in Africa....like they do with the championship gear of the runner ups.....

But as being somewhere on the other side of the world (in more than one perspective) can the Irish of either side expect - or even demand - that the rest of the world is informed of such things?

I mean, I guess now this infamous troop pops up in internet searches, but did it prior to that?

One of the reasons the Irish conflict has gone on for centuries is the Irish like the Scots hold grudges, they are passed on like family heirlooms. The Sicilians have nothing on them. Every person of Irish descent in the world knows about the Troubles, at least the side of it they are on, either the 'Prodddies' or the 'Fenians', each holds the other responsible for deaths that occured decades, centuries even ago so calling the shoes Black and Tans will upset the entire Irish community in many countries. Things that happened nearly a century ago are still held fresh in Irish minds as if it were yesterday so the force that was nicknamed the Black and Tans is still fresh in manys memories even if they weren't there! Like the fact that many places in Scotland won't employ a Campbell or allow them in the door even, this runs and runs and runs which is probably why Nike picked the name.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And there I thought they just went out drinking when they came up with that ugly shoe....

Nothing like the heirloom conflict....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And there I thought they just went out drinking when they came up with that ugly shoe....

Thought the same thing....yikes...
There are two neighbouring towns in NH, Derry and Londonderry. Worked in the vicinity for quite some time before realizing the significance of the names. :s400: :eek:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought the same thing....yikes...
There are two neighbouring towns in NH, Derry and Londonderry. Worked in the vicinity for quite some time before realizing the significance of the names. :s400: :eek:

In Northern Ireland it's the same place but depending on which side you are on depends on how you say it. For Protestants it's Londonderry, Catholics it's Derry.
Wounds run deep in Irish hearts, we still have the bombings and the shootings but at long last there are rays of hope. It's like walking on eggshells though and Nike should really have looked it up, anywhere else perhaps it would just be history but Ireland...never.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Nike Black And Tan: Footwear Giant Courts Controversey Naming Shoe After Force That Killed Irish Civilians"

Did the author or editor give it that ridiculous and sensational headline, or was the marketing department trying to sell advertising impressions? I highly doubt Nike was naming the shoe after the Black and Tans.

That said, Nike should have known better. Ben & Jerry's named an ice cream for the drink a few years ago and ran into this same issue with a bunch of hypersensitive people that can't tell the difference between a drink and a British paramilitary unit.

This is publicity. Maybe Nike gave HuffPo the headline and article? :idunno: There may be a significant number of people/consumers attracted to this product because of the controversy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you name a shoe after a drink anyway, in fact why would you name a shoe? I suppose the sad fact is that whatever the shoe is called it will be made in a sweatshop in Asia, a good enough reason apart from a ridiculous name not to buy it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would you name a shoe after a drink anyway, in fact why would you name a shoe? I suppose the sad fact is that whatever the shoe is called it will be made in a sweatshop in Asia, a good enough reason apart from a ridiculous name not to buy it.

well, you gotta give your product a name, if for no other reason than that you have to be able to tell one from another without looking at the shoe.

That the shoes are made in Asia is another deal...sadly the top brand ones are probably rolling off the same belt as the store band ones...and at about the same cost.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trainers I buy just have numbers. I know... 'I'm a shoe not a number'!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently its all about marketing. According to an article the Irish Times ran on Saturday, Nike decided to name two shoes after beers in conjunction with a St. Patrick's Day release. The other shoe was named "Guinness". The local folks in Ireland believe that calling something a "Black and Tan" was an insensitive way to celebrate Irish-ness.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper...ref=.T15SVXTUhs4.like&fb_source=other_oneline

Personally I think beer is a rather silly concept for promoting athletic shoes...but that's just me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sheesh....

Dogs are shot yes, not just black and tan ones but it depends on who they belong to. The question usually is 'is it a Catholic dog or a Protestant dog' which ever, the other side will shoot it.I worked with an Irish regiment a long while ago, the joke with them about me was 'is she a Catholic Jew or a Protestant Jew'? Always comes down to that, nothing is excluded.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bought a box of crayons that had both black and tan crayons in it. What the hell was Crayola thinking?!?!?!?! :)

Personally I think beer is a rather silly concept for promoting athletic shoes...but that's just me.

The only thing more silly than the naming concept in regards to this issue is the people that are unable to differentiate a drink from a paramilitary organization. I have come to the conclusion that people just love to be outraged about silly things. Maybe it is a way to avoid more serious matters?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a box of crayons that had both black and tan crayons in it. What the hell was Crayola thinking?!?!?!?! :)

The only thing more silly than the naming concept in regards to this issue is the people that are unable to differentiate a drink from a paramilitary organization. I have come to the conclusion that people just love to be outraged about silly things. Maybe it is a way to avoid more serious matters?

It will be be silly to those who don't live in Ireland or are of Irish descent. Perhaps the nearest I could come to it for Americans would be a shoe named for a slave owner who was renown for his cruelty to slaves or perhaps someone who massacred Native Americans? Feelings run deep in Ireland and the North still isn't at peace, there's still bombings and shootings. A reminder of the Black and Tans is liable to stir a lot of feelings on both sides. Every year the Orange Lodges march, causing riots and deaths btw, to commemorate somthing that happened a lot further back in time than the Black and Tans.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4241058.stm

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would you name a shoe after a drink anyway, in fact why would you name a shoe?
Because companies are made up of people and people, by and large are stupid?
Why would you make not one but, FOUR movies based on a Disneyland ride?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It will be be silly to those who don't live in Ireland or are of Irish descent. Perhaps the nearest I could come to it for Americans would be a shoe named for a slave owner who was renown for his cruelty to slaves or perhaps someone who massacred Native Americans? Feelings run deep in Ireland and the North still isn't at peace, there's still bombings and shootings. A reminder of the Black and Tans is liable to stir a lot of feelings on both sides. Every year the Orange Lodges march, causing riots and deaths btw, to commemorate somthing that happened a lot further back in time than the Black and Tans.

That's not a bad analogy -- we have a holiday in January named after Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I think a good way of drawing a comparison would be like pushing a Martin Luther King Day promotion with a sneaker eponymous with a southern plantation.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Your try at an American comparison does remind me of this similar controversy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22

Latest Discussions