Nike's "offensive" shoe, the black and tan...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest I couldn't think of an exact comparision, the problem with the Black and Tans is they are still heroes to one half and villians to the other. As I said when they are still commemorating battles fought in the 18th century etc there's little hope they won't remember the Black and Tans, to them it's recent history as there's still people who can remember them. The Troubles have been going on for centuries, it won't stop until people can put the past behind them but in Ireland the past is always there lurking and coming in to bite the unwary.
From the Belfast Telegraph http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...n-trainers-slated-16129796.html#ixzz1oujwyW1O

Look at the story underneath it too. It may give you an idea of what life is like there.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-me-because-i-married-a-catholic-16125176.htm

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There isn't a good parallel that I can think of either. Another interesting (to me, anyway) case where as much as we have in common, there are aspects to the cultures that are quite different.

I have to admit, as a businessperson, I'm mildly fascinated by events such as these. How and why do they happen, esp. in a global marketplace? Crushing raises the idea of a manufactured controversy -- I actually think that is quite possible.

For one, there is historical precedence of what happens when the Black and Tan name gets used for a consumer product -- as seen with Ben and Jerry's ice cream

Next, The Black and Tans are heros to one half, villains to others....that's a great situation -- you only enrage part of the country, and the remainder you don't enrage will have loyalists who love your decision.

Also, the other shoe named in this beer pairing is "Guinness" -- another product's brand, and its monster of a brand to boot. I cannot imagine Nike doing this without the appropriate attorneys vetting this out and money changing hands...either from Nike to Guinness for the use of their brand, or from Guinness to Nike for the advertising.

And finally -- we've all seen that controversy, viral videos, and similar acts can take a message much further and much faster than any advertising campaign...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, Rolls Royce scrapped theri naming of a new model to spare the feelings of a handful of German speaking customers....
Nobody would want to be caught driving around in what translates to 'Silver Manure' now, would they...no matter how exclusive!

But after the Ben and Jerry incident, I think you have to be a corporate Dummkopf not to see the problem. And they were strictly talking food...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because companies are made up of people and people, by and large are stupid?
Why would you make not one but, FOUR movies based on a Disneyland ride?
Because people paid -- and paid LOTS! -- to see them. And the residuals and other income continues to roll in...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What should matter and apparently doesn't is the fact that the shoes weren't named for the paramilitary unit of a similar name to the drink for which they were named.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What should matter and apparently doesn't is the fact that the shoes weren't named for the paramilitary unit of a similar name to the drink for which they were named.

There's the fact too that black and tan the drink is actually from the UK mainland not Ireland where it wasn't drunk (nor is still) before the military unit arrived, one of the reasons they were called black and tans was the fact they were 'English'. The drink as much as the military unit is shunned. The name even before the army unit arrived was shunned.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's the fact too that black and tan the drink is actually from the UK mainland not Ireland where it wasn't drunk (nor is still) before the military unit arrived, one of the reasons they were called black and tans was the fact they were 'English'. The drink as much as the military unit is shunned. The name even before the army unit arrived was shunned.

so the drink - under that name nobody likes - is named after a unit nobody likes...(well, some do like it...)

So why name anything after it?

Never mind....logic defies the masses...

(and the shoe is STILL ugly!)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so the drink - under that name nobody likes - is named after a unit nobody likes...(well, some do like it...)

Incorrect. The drink name predates the British paramilitary group by decades.

Not only does logic defy the masses, apparently so do homonyms.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It wasn't crafted after how the Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day, it was crafted after how Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day. The Black and Tan is a popular beer blend in U.S. Irish bars and most of the folks here aren't as fervent about politics or are willing to put them aside to raise a glass with friends.

Although, I have a nagging feeling that politics may outshine the Boston celebrations this St. Paddy's. I hope I am wrong.

And yeah. Damn ugly shoes :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incorrect. The drink name predates the British paramilitary group by decades.

Not only does logic defy the masses, apparently so do homonyms.

The drink does predate the unit but it's an English drink not an Irish one so therefore was shunned by the Irish nationalists anyway, the unit were called after the drink because nobody liked either.

Latest Discussions