War on Photography - UK Front

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Odd then that there's videos of police cadets on You Tube. Parents especially in Loondon are very wary these days about their kids being photographed, they could well sue the leaders if photos are taken so I doubt it's the police themselves being heavy handed more that it will cost them personally not the force if they are sued. I doubt her was accused of everything he said he was, I'd like to see a statement from the Met before making any call on this but of course it's only ever going to be one sided isn't it so they won't publish anything from the Met lol!

I wouldn't say things are bad, some people love the idea of being the focus of attention. If they are harrassed as you can see there is always the courts, that's what they are for.

The people of London and the police are probably more paranoid than most, comes with having been blown up nearly sixty times in the past thirty years. London a favourite target of the IRA, the anti gays (their nail bombs were nasty) as well as the Muslim extremists. Oh and bomba and bombing equipment are still being found, intel says at any given time there are several plans ongoing to blow Londoners up. C'est la guerre.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I find of interest is the ignored idea of Law Enforcement violating the law that is a consistent read for me. I'm aware that there are cultural and societarial differences at play, as well as other dynamics at work. That doesn't bother me, the whole "When in Rome..." thing. But to continually read articles indicating that those sworn to defend the law, are violating both law and department policy, that's the concern.

It's one thing if y'all had a law that said "Taking a picture of the police is illegal".
It's another thing when such is not in fact illegal, but that said police are using their position to intimidate -lawful photographers-.

We can argue the "its not your country so you don't know" areas again, but that's not my concern. It's not the legal differences we've discussed previously that bothers me...It's -any- cop who violates the law and policy in the pretext of 'protecting me'. Those who enforce the law can not be above it, and all that, y'know?

The idea of "if they harass you there is always the courts" is nice, but lets be blunt here. I could sue the cops for excessive force if they knock my teeth out. I might even win. But would you really want to tie up that much of your time, go through that much pain, and spend that much money, over something that you -should not have to go through in the first place-?

I shouldn't have to sue the cops for harassment. They shouldn't be harassing me, or anyone who is complying with the law. They shouldn't be violating the law, or policy while executing their duties.

The paranoia over photographers is an overreaction on both sides of the Atlantic. You can often find better quality shots of these 'prime targets' on Google or Facebook.

Sorry if that's coming off harder than intended, dealing with a pinched neck nerve right now, it's got me grouchy. lol.

Latest Discussions