Newest Member of the Family - Chekov the Cat

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, just want to get back to this now that I have a keyboard. There are rescues that are extremely militant. They're suspicious and very judgemental. I get why they are so, but personally, I think they're way too extreme.

I don't know about where you are, but around here, the rescues can be like that. But the county animal shelters are much more pragmatic. There is an interview process, but it's really more about t the animals don't end up neglected or abandoned. So, there aren't any hard and fast rules about kids and pets in this area. I'm sorry you had so much trouble. It's a shame to hear about that sort of stuff.

So, this morning, I woke up to the kitten sitting on my chest making muffins with my blanket (kneading it with his front paws). He was staring into my soul, I think. As soon as I opened my eyes he attacked my beard. We've released him into the general population today. I'll see how that went when I get home. While Rose Tyler hasn't completely warmed up yet, they've reached an understanding. I think he and Gally are fine. She's started playing with him.

Yeah its the county run shelters here that are a pain. They never tell you up front and usually wait until my kids have fallen in love with a dog played with it for like an hour and then say were sorry but you have kids under 6 so we can't allow you to adopt.
Never tried cats since I'm not a cat person. We have tried every county shelter in the 50 mile radius from our house and have never been allowed to get a dog at any of them. We finally lied said we had no kids and were able to adopt a dog last year they didn't even check out my house just paid the fee and got a dog. A sweet american bulldog. Then my mom took her a few months ago because her dog died and she was afraid to be home alone.

We honestly don't need anymore pets we have a bunch of stuff snakes lizards rabbits guinea pigs 4 fishtanks from 20 gal up to 200 gal. A Chocolate lab we bought after getting turned down by all the pounds. But my son just turned 4 and he really wants a cat. Every time we go to Petsmart we have to look at the cats and he will stay there all day if we let him so...........I wouldn't be surprised to have a cat in our future.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah its the county run shelters here that are a pain. They never tell you up front and usually wait until my kids have fallen in love with a dog played with it for like an hour and then say were sorry but you have kids under 6 so we can't allow you to adopt.
Never tried cats since I'm not a cat person. We have tried every county shelter in the 50 mile radius from our house and have never been allowed to get a dog at any of them. We finally lied said we had no kids and were able to adopt a dog last year they didn't even check out my house just paid the fee and got a dog. A sweet american bulldog. Then my mom took her a few months ago because her dog died and she was afraid to be home alone.

We honestly don't need anymore pets we have a bunch of stuff snakes lizards rabbits guinea pigs 4 fishtanks from 20 gal up to 200 gal. A Chocolate lab we bought after getting turned down by all the pounds. But my son just turned 4 and he really wants a cat. Every time we go to Petsmart we have to look at the cats and he will stay there all day if we let him so...........I wouldn't be surprised to have a cat in our future.
That's a damned shame, Ballen. I bet you'd give the dogs a great home. Regarding the kids, we've had our 4 year old with us every time we went to pick out an animal, and they've never given us a hard time. That sucks.

Regarding cats, I've always liked them, but we've always had dogs that had strong prey instincts. Since losing our dogs to cancer, we've been able to adopt some kittens.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess they are also of the conviction that one has to dump the animal when you are expecting a baby.....

(Knowing what I know about cats, with the zoo of little critters you have, you might want to get a kitten though...makes it easier to suggest to them to leave the other family members alone. My two, acquired as wee ones are pretty good not to look at the birds, the other one, already grown, tends to get very interested in them)

Yep, ballen, my friend, better get used to the idea....oh, and cats have the habit of picking the one person who does not care for them much to camp out on....when I was younger, ours would always gravitate to my dad when he came visiting....he always had to shoo them away! :)

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son, who has autism, volunteers his time with the cats and the local shelter. He is so empathetic that they've invited him to work for them for the summer. I guess he has a real gift with them. So far he hasn't tried to bring any home.