Pets

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Two nights ago, my mom and I brought home another kitten! What's unusual about that is that this is the 2nd kitten we've brought home in less than a month! (The 2 kittens love playing together and it's easier to introduce 2 kittens to the older cats at once instead of a year apart.) Now we have 4 cats (my responsibility but I don't mind)!! (2 adults and 2 kittens). No more pets for us for awhile but we love all of our "babies". 3 out of our 4 kitties we've found in the pet store on the way to our Aikido class. :)

What kind of pets do you guys have or how many? What pets did you have that were/are very special to you. Any special stories about them? (Please, no comments about dogs are dumb or cats taste good or anything unnecessary like that.)

These are my pets--

Teddy Bear (short hair Himalayan cat)
Kasumi (black Panther-ish cat--name means "Misty" in Japanese)
Stormy (black and white kitten who we just got a month ago)
Dust Bunny (gold and orange striped kitten)
Chipmunk (Pug dog but he almost looks more like a Boxer)
Mouse Potato (Pug dog who looks more like a manatee:eek:)
we also have lots of fish.

(we've had 3 other cats in the past who have died of old age)

Robyn :asian:

M

Master of Blades

Beavis Max and Alex. Two cats and a younger brother :rolleyes:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sir Thunder Shadowchaser- Burmess (SP)

Rambo _ Burmess

Little Bite- Ally Cat

Animal- (RIP at 20 years)-Burmess

Squirrely - Gray Squirrel (he adopeted us ater being traped in attic as a baby whennew sideing was put on house

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Napalm - Brown Lab Rat

SPG (Short for Special Patrol Group) - Albino Lab Rat (Yes, I borrowed his name from the Young Ones)

Tori, A Mouse - Brown Fieldmouse.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cat = Tiana Marie

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Draco- Boxer

Survivor- mixed breed cat. We named him that 'cause we found him at the restaurant that my wife was working at when I started dating her. It was winter and he was frost bitten on his nose and all four paws. He was emaciated and so dirty we thought he was grey and brown. He is really white and brown. He lost half of each ear to the frost bite, part of his bottom lip and the very tip of his nose. He is now the ruler of the block.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
Draco- Boxer

Survivor- mixed breed cat. We named him that 'cause we found him at the restaurant that my wife was working at when I started dating her. It was winter and he was frost bitten on his nose and all four paws. He was emaciated and so dirty we thought he was grey and brown. He is really white and brown. He lost half of each ear to the frost bite, part of his bottom lip and the very tip of his nose. He is now the ruler of the block.

Cool story:asian:

P

progressivetactics

I have a 5 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback. The lion hunting dog.
If anyone is interested in the 'perfect house dog'. Ask me about ridgebacks!

You can't go wrong!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics
I have a 5 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback. The lion hunting dog.
If anyone is interested in the 'perfect house dog'. Ask me about ridgebacks!

You can't go wrong!

Never heard of them. Is there a picture anywhere I can see one?

P

progressivetactics

Choosing a Rhodesian Ridgeback
by: Dr. Dawn Ruben
Related Articles

South African Boer settlers crossed their dogs with those of the native Hottentots to develop a breed suitable for farming on the new continent.

The Rhodesian ridgeback, also called the African lion hound, is a handsome and regal dog with a streak of independence. Not for everyone, this dog is devoted to his family and requires firm and consistent handling.

History and Origin

During the 16th and 17th centuries, various European settlers decided to leave their homeland and set up a new home in South Africa. Along with their families, they also brought along their family dogs, including Great Danes, mastiffs, bloodhounds and terriers. These dogs, though wonderful companions and excellent at their own particular skills, weren’t able to provide everything these Boer farmers required.

These farmers needed a dog that could guard the farm, flush out birds and pull down wounded gazelle. The dog also needed to be able to withstand the difficulties of the African bush, including rapid and significant weather changes. In order to develop this “perfect” dog, the farmers looked to the dogs bred by the Hottentots, a native South African race. Their dogs were semi-wild hunting dogs with a ridge down their back. These dogs were crossed with the settlers dogs, resulting in the foundation stock of the Rhodesian ridgeback, one of only two breeds of dog in the world with a ridge of hair down their back (the other is the Thai ridgeback).

Eventually, in 1877, the first ridgebacks were taken into the country of Rhodesia, now known as Zimbabwe. Big game hunters in the area soon found that these dogs were excellent hunters and seemed to do very well helping in the hunt of lions. The hunters would travel on horseback and the dogs would run along side. When a lion was found, the dogs would chase, harass and run around the lions to confuse and bewilder them. This would give the hunters a chance to come closer to the lions for the kill. Despite the myths, the ridgeback did not attack and kill lions.

Breeding of these dogs continued and progressed in Rhodesia. By 1922, the breed standard was developed and the breed was named the Rhodesian ridgeback, despite his origination from South Africa.

By 1950, the ridgeback had entered the United States and was recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1955 as a member of the hound group.

Appearance and Size

Handsome and dignified, the Rhodesian ridgeback is a regal looking dog. The head is flat and broad with round sparkling eyes that gives the dog an intelligent expression. The eyes should blend with the color of the nose. If the nose is black, the eyes are dark. If the nose is brown, the eyes are amber. The ears are medium in size and set high on the skull. The base is wide and tapers to a rounded point. The muzzle is long and powerful.

The body of the ridgeback is strong and powerful with a deep chest. The tail is tapered with a slight upward curve. The tail should not be curly nor be carried high. The hair coat is short and glossy and ranges in color from light wheaten to dark red. Some white may be present on the chest and toes.

The most distinctive feature of the Rhodesian ridgeback is their ridge. It is a ridge of hair along the back that grows in the opposite direction to the rest of the hair coat. The ridge begins just behind the shoulders and continues to a point at the level of the hips. At the beginning of the ridge, two symmetrical whorls (called crowns) lie directly opposite each other. This results in a broader ridge at the top. As the ridge continues down the back, it narrows until it tapers at the level of the hips.

The ridgeback stands 24 to 27 inches at the shoulder and weighs 70 to 85 pounds.

Personality

The Rhodesian ridgeback is a clean dog that is considered low maintenance. The breed is usually friendly toward family and friends but does not really care for strangers.

The ridgeback is a strong and powerful dog that enjoys activity and has great endurance. He is a strong willed dog that often stands his ground, and it is very important that he understands that his owners are the dominant members of the family. Timid people or ones that tend to allow the dog to rule the house should consider a different breed.

Home and Family Relations

A devoted and loyal dog to his family, the ridgeback can be aloof and possibly aggressive toward strangers. Even though he is a large dog and loves running around a secured yard, this breed enjoys the indoor life. Clean and quiet, the ridgeback is a remarkably ideal house dog.

When taken outside, the ridgeback should be leashed or kept in a secure yard with a tall fence since some dogs are not too fond of strangers.

Training

A natural protector, the ridgeback doesn’t need much training to be a good watchdog and guard dog but training in protection work is not recommended. An aggressive ridgeback can be difficult to control.

Obedience training is strongly recommended and should begin when the dog is a pup. Training should continue until the dog is a young adult. Their naturally dominant personality requires a firm handler. Early socialization is also paramount.

Grooming

The Rhodesian ridgeback requires minimal grooming. Periodic brushing will keep his coat clean and shiny.

Special Care

The ridgeback is an intelligent breed that requires plenty of exercise and mental stimulation to prevent boredom. Be aware that a bored ridgeback is a very destructive ridgeback. In addition, the breed’s natural dominant personality requires a firm and assertive owner. Early and consistent obedience training is crucial to prevent aggressive tendencies. Training should continue throughout adolescence.

Common Diseases and Disorders

Gastric torsion (bloat) is a life-threatening sudden illness associated with the stomach filling with air and twisting.

Hip dysplasia is a malformation of the hip joint that results in pain, lameness and arthritis.

Hypothyroidism results when the thyroid gland does not function adequately. Without enough thyroid hormone, illness can occur.

Osteochondrosis is a cartilage defect that develops in young growing dogs resulting in pain and lameness.

Dermoid sinus is a syndrome unique to the ridgeback and their crosses. It is a defect in the development of the spinal cord sheath and the skin. If left untreated, weakness and paralysis may develop. It is associated with the ridge development and the dermoid sinus occurs somewhere along the back.

The Rhodesian ridgeback is also prone to obesity, ear infections and allergies.

The life span of the Rhodesian ridgeback is 8 to 12 years.

We realize that each dog is unique and may display other characteristics. This profile provides generally accepted breed information only.

P

progressivetactics

the picture didn't make it in that huge story.

Go to Petplace.com and search on Rhodesian Ridgeback.
The picture makes it look small, but really they are taller then German shepards, barrel chested, and very muscular looking. About 27-30" tall to the shoulder, and should weigh between 75-90#'s. They never bark! I had to teach my dog to bark...
THey say you can break into the house of a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but you can't break out.

THey used to be used in dog fighting, until the 70's when they were killing everything extremely quickly (except the Tosa Inu's). Part of the rules in Dog fighting is besides fighting, they are not supposed to make any noise (yelping or crying). It is a sign of weakness to another dog and begins a larger onslaught from the dominant dog. Dog fighters and people who were against dog fighting really put a hurt on the breeding and reputation of Ridgebacks. So they fell out of popularity during the 70's. Those that own them.....LOVE THEM. I have never seen one go bad, or heard a bad story of one since Ihave owned one. And I have 2 small children who can poke his eyes, pull his tail, ride his back, take dog food from his bowl.....etc.

(can you tell I like them?)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I looked them up on google a little while ago. Not a bad looking dog. I said something about them to my dad and he just shrugged it off. He said if they were born to hunt lions then anyone coming to my door will get mauled.:)

P

progressivetactics

like any dog......if you put the time in.....they will do the right thing.

My 18mo girl, and 4 year old boy can reach into his mouth and pull dog food out without gettin bit. (the 18month old would try to fight him for food).

People are afraid when they see him, but his has not hurt anyone. Again, you need to put the time into training a dog....PROPERLY. So many people don't spend important first months of the dogs life doing the training the right way...then they complain cuz they cant walk the dog off lead, can't get him to not bite, or staff of people...etc.....

Its all in what you do with them....I am training my kids much like the way I did my dog, and it seems to work pretty well... Except i get bad looks from everyone when I pull the choker on my daughter!!!!

P

progressivetactics

I have to break the habit before she starts trying to hump on guys legs!!!!!!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics
I have to break the habit before she starts trying to hump on guys legs!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On the otherhand that is cool about the dog. It's very interesting to see how well you did with it.:asian:

Where did you come across this dog and where did you purchase one?

P

progressivetactics

i had heard of it as a kid, and it never really left me.
I was dog hunting right after I bought my house, and my wife and I decided I could pick the breed, she could pick the name.
We went to a large dog show here in Detroit. I was surveying a couple of different breeds I was considering, but none of them matched up (in my mind) to my Ridgeback. I introduced myself to many of the owners at the show, and began networking. Dog owners are never shy about sharing info about their breed dog, and its positive and negative traits. IT is the best place to start!

T

tonbo

My wife and I have three Shiba Inus. Two are from show lines, and one we rescued from the local shelter. She was on the way down, as Shibas are very particular dogs, and the shelter didn't know how to handle her. She wasn't eating, and was on the fast track to lights out.....but she is doing *extremely* well now, some 3 months later...;)

Tachi -- female, first one we got (beautiful show quality dog)
Taiko -- male, the second (he is the cutest and most mischievous)
Tsuki -- female, the "rescue pup" (arguably the smartest of the 3)

Love 'em all. They are a breed bred traditionally to flush out small game, so that Japanese hunters could get it. They are really smart and very independent, but they are also fiercely loyal.

Great breed.

Peace--

P

progressivetactics

yes, shiba's are very cute dogs! Love em.

My ridge is a showdog as well. His pedigree has all champions except 1 on his father's side. My wife and I aren't very good handlers in the ring, and my dog acts like an idiot when someone else has the lead, so he will be the second in the line without a title, im sure of it. But we do have some nice ribbons from the few he did manage to capture something.

T

tonbo

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, I'm not sure which) our two "show quality" dogs are not actual show dogs. They both have champions in their lines, and are registered with the AKC, but they are listed as "pet quality", i.e., they are ineligible for competition. Tachi has a slight overbite and had a broken leg as a pup (before we got her), and we bought Taiko with the understanding and commitment that we would not show him. He is too mischievous to hold still in the ring, anyway.

Ah, well. I have no time for that sort of thing, anyway. Got plenty else to do!!

Peace--

Latest Discussions