Newest Member of the Family - Chekov the Cat

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How did he come into your life? Adoption, stray, friend? Which ever way, thanks for giving him a good home. We have 3 cats. One was planned, the other two just showed up and stayed. Been about 5 years now.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
he's at that age where he's got the skinny little body and the big head and ears. Very cute!

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
How did he come into your life? Adoption, stray, friend? Which ever way, thanks for giving him a good home. We have 3 cats. One was planned, the other two just showed up and stayed. Been about 5 years now.
He's from the pound. We hit the rescues or the shelters for all of our pets. While you run the risk of an unknown medical history, there are just so many great pets around, I wouldn't want to support a puppy mill.

We have had a rough year. About a year ago, we lost our Great Dane mutt, Duke. He was 18 months old when we adopted him. He was a big boy (great dane... go figure) so the owners dumped him at the pound when he started jumping their 6' fence. He was a great dog, and ended up living to be about 12 years old. Then, we lost our Great Pyranees mix. Also a rescue, he lived to be about 9 years old. Hid a tumor in his abdomen from us for a long time. We didn't even know he was sick until the tumor had displaced his stomach so that he could no longer eat. And yesterday, we had to put down our Newfie mix. He had a seizure disorder, we believe due to a brain tumor. The seizures were pretty well controlled for several years, but over the last few months, they began increasing in severity. In the 24 hours prior to having him put to sleep, he had 9 grand mal seizures and was so disoriented and dizzy he couldn't stand up without falling over.

So, in about a year, we've gone from a 3 dog house to a 3 cat house. We got the kitten on Friday, not knowing that this was the last weekend we would have with Po. So, it wasn't the best weekend, but we're glad to have Chekov in our lives now. He's going to be a great cat.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
he's at that age where he's got the skinny little body and the big head and ears. Very cute!
yeah. He's fearless. Stupid fearless, IMO. We don't know how big he's going to be, but with that giant noggin, he could end up being a fairly big boy.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah. He's fearless. Stupid fearless, IMO. We don't know how big he's going to be, but with that giant noggin, he could end up being a fairly big boy.

aye, stupid fearless, that is to be sure. Cat's just do what they want, no matter what, consequences be damned. We have two cats, and had a third for about six months, she was a feral in the colony I manage and she decided it was time to come inside and adopt some people. So we had her long enough to discover that her kidneys were on the way out, we kept her going for as long as we could but had to finally have her euthanized last year on Father's Day. She was less than half the size of our other two, but she completely ruled the house and pushed them around. Street smarts is what she had, that our housecats lacked.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chekov because the author, or Star Trek Character?
Because, there is a Vulcan Construction here in Fresno, named thus, for the god, not the planet/race...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He's just adorable, and a rescue to boot! Yayyy!! Congrats on the new addition :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good for you, Steve. Rescue is a great way to go. When you know you have saved a life the bond seems so much stronger for both you and them..... Great looking kitten.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Chekov because the author, or Star Trek Character?
Because, there is a Vulcan Construction here in Fresno, named thus, for the god, not the planet/race...

Good question. I thought the author but am pretty sure the kids named him after the star trek character.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats cool. My son wants a cat but we stopped going to the pound after getting refused several times from 4 different counties because we have young kids.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats cool. My son wants a cat but we stopped going to the pound after getting refused several times from 4 different counties because we have young kids.

You know, for the number of homeless animals out there, I swear some shelters are doing their darnedest to make sure pets stay homeless. It's disgusting. Try a local vet, that is where I adopted my kitty.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Shelters don't typical turn away families, but rescues ar much pickier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
He looks very bright eyed and attentive. I bet he can be a real handful.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's amazing how much a part of the family our pets become. I'm glad that the sad notes could be sweetened a little by the new addition. A very lucky cat to have you:)

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey, just want to get back to this now that I have a keyboard. There are rescues that are extremely militant. They're suspicious and very judgemental. I get why they are so, but personally, I think they're way too extreme.

I don't know about where you are, but around here, the rescues can be like that. But the county animal shelters are much more pragmatic. There is an interview process, but it's really more about ensuring that the animals don't end up neglected or abandoned. So, there aren't any hard and fast rules about kids and pets in this area. I'm sorry you had so much trouble. It's a shame to hear about that sort of stuff.

So, this morning, I woke up to the kitten sitting on my chest making muffins with my blanket (kneading it with his front paws). He was staring into my soul, I think. As soon as I opened my eyes he attacked my beard. We've released him into the general population today. I'll see how that went when I get home. While Rose Tyler hasn't completely warmed up yet, they've reached an understanding. I think he and Gally are fine. She's started playing with him.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
YEAH KITTY!!

he looks like my red boy when he was that age. He is now, what, 4 years old, topping the scale at 12 pounds, all lean.

There is always Craigs List for kitties...you can get them there, before they have to go to the pound.

Latest Discussions