New way of testing (Black Belt Magazine - Aug 2007)

Mpmagi

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of doing kind acts just because you want a black belt. These reqs don't seem so much as testing a Mudansha's ability as a student than as their character. Character is something that has to been seen by the instructor(s) in the dojo.

That being said, I think the MA world needs more BBs with good character. The solution for that is for instructors to only promote those who demonstrate good character on a consitent basis.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of doing kind acts just because you want a black belt. These reqs don't seem so much as testing a Mudansha's ability as a student than as their character. Character is something that has to been seen by the instructor(s) in the dojo.

That being said, I think the MA world needs more BBs with good character. The solution for that is for instructors to only promote those who demonstrate good character on a consitent basis.

Nicely stated - and I agree. This is the problem with all programs that require community service - if you are documenting something you're already doing that's one thing, but if you require it as an additional activity... I donate blood on a regular (every 8 weeks) basis, because I feel that I should, and when I needed community service for my III Dan test, I used that - and I will say, that all of my students have had community service items they were already doing when they realized that the requirement was there, everything from walking dogs at a shelter to coaching kids' sports to pro bono legal work - I'm not sure what I'll do if I have a student qualified for BB on all other accounts who doesn't have the community service - but I do make sure we talk about the need for community service as a means of giving back to the community (not as a BB requirement) on a regular basis in class, along with other moral components that come up in instruction.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If that's what a perticular Dojo wants, so be it, but I would never join it, I like fighting arts, not cults and religeons.

Iprefer to demonstrate that I have attained the profficeintcy and knowledge for the grade, and the fact that Sensei does not let you try for it if your a total jerk.

We actually do not "test" for Shodan, your last test is for 1st Kyu (High Brown) then you wait 6 months to a year to be awarded shodan, Sensei decides when, and there have been cases when they did not get it because of charachter issues or they felt they new it all and stopped training as hard.

Latest Discussions