New to martial arts. Looking for legit gyms in Louisville KY

zac358

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was given advice by one of the admins on here to check over a gym to make sure the leader is legit. I was really interested in JKD but no one in Louisville teaches it that I can find. I was wondering if you are from Louisville Kentucky and you know of a legit gym and the leader of that gym is legit let me know the gym please. I'm a college student here but I want to learn martial arts. I'm hoping the gym can push me and allow me to work my butt off. I want to be really comitted to this and hopefully train several times a week. Thank you.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My advice as far as looking for a JKD instructor is be extremely cautious!! JKD Instructors are everywhere, some legit, some not! Be sure to check out the Instructor before making any commitment.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of people who throw some various things together call what they do JKD, so I would be careful.
I teach Wing Tsun, which is the original art Bruce Lee learned before venturing off to start JKD.
I live in the Louisville area if interested.

OP
Z

zac358

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm interested for sure. Where can I get info?

OP
Z

zac358

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sent the pm. Let me know if you got it. I'm still not sure how to check if they sent on here.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys... just as a general rule, we discourage a lot of "check your PM" type posts. Some information is most definitely most appropriately shared via PM, and we encourage you to use the feature -- that's why it's there! But threads of "Fred, check your PM" and "Harry, got your PM, sent one back to you" kind of defeat the purpose of a discussion forum, y'know?

Most members get a notice when a PM comes in, so you don't really need to tell them in the thread.

Good luck, and it sounds like maybe y'all have a training connection in the offing!

OP
Z

zac358

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes I'm going to get some info from him. Sorry that was the first pm I've sent on a chat sight before so I was kind of confused by it. I've got it now though.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Zac, I don't really know from JKD but there is some excellent Systema in Louisville. For what it's worth ... or not.

Oh ... and happy Thunder. :uhyeah:

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are some other people on MT who are much more qualified to answer this than I am. But the grossly oversimplified version is that it's Russian. There's a strong emphasis on keeping one's body loose and relaxed and turning the opponent's body tension against them. It's highly improvisational with very little technique. There's a lot of Systema on Youtube, but here's one compilation to get you started:

[yt]FkfJoOsldEg[/yt]

And with that, I'll defer to anyone else who can explain Systema better than I can. I never was very good at it. :eek:

OP
Z

zac358

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It looks pretty cool. There are so many different styles here in Louisville it's hard to choose one.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Elizabethtown may be a bit of a travel for you, but there is a solid Taekwondo school there under the direction of Grandmaster Robert Sheroan.

http://sheroantaekwondo.com/

He is very self-defense oriented.

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know of another TKD teacher in Bardstown, but I'll have to look up his name after work if you're interested.

Latest Discussions