Hey. New to the forum and to martial arts

zac358

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey ladies and gentlemen I just joined this site and wanted to say hey. I'm a college student at the University of Louisville in Kentucky. I actually haven't started any form of martial arts yet but I am very interested in doing so. Any advice would be great about which styles to take or just any advice on getting started. I'm really interested in JKD or Wing Chun. Just hit me up with any info because I am very eager to learn all I can.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey ladies and gentlemen I just joined this site and wanted to say hey. I'm a college student at the University of Louisville in Kentucky. I actually haven't started any form of martial arts yet but I am very interested in doing so. Any advice would be great about which styles to take or just any advice on getting started. I'm really interested in JKD or Wing Chun. Just hit me up with any info because I am very eager to learn all I can.

Welcome! The best advice I have heard to date is what I will pass on; there are many different styles of martial arts, and no one can tell you which will suit you best. The arts are often divided into striking and grappling arts, and further subdivided or intermixed into empty-handed and weapons-based arts, and even further into various traditions, such as Okinawan, Japanese, Chinese and various other geographical locations. From those, there are even more subdivisions.

You should first look to see what is available near you. No sense wasting time looking into training that is not available in your area. Then consider what kind of martial art you think of when you see yourself training. Do you see yourself as a striker, a grappler? Weapons or no? High kicks or low kicks? Ask yourself if you're primarily interested in self-defense, martial arts discipline, history, physical conditioning? Large classes or small? Structured environment or more relaxed? Traditional uniforms and rank, modified gym clothes, street clothes? Consider the costs of required equipment, and remember to ask any prospective training center whether or not you can buy your gear anywhere, or if you have to buy from them. Consider contracts and if you can quit if you decide it's not for you or your interests change or you move. Consider these things carefully, they're important! You're not buying a car you can trade in if you don't like it - you're investing time, energy, and money in yourself!

Then check out some of the training centers in your area. Any legitimate training group should let you sit quietly and observe a class or two in session, even speak to students during breaks or before/after class. Consider rank progression times if you find that important; some people do and some people don't; no judgment there, just keep it in mind. Ask about required belt test fees and promotion fees and organizations you are required to join if any and whether or not you are required to compete. These are all things that some training centers do to stay afloat financially; you may or may not want to participate in them, but you should at least know about them ahead of time so you can make an informed decision.

If possible, check out any training center you find you like online, and check the instructors also. Don't forget to check with local law enforcement or state registries; this is not nice to say, but just like teaching and coaching and the clergy and scouting and so on, sometimes not-nice people are attracted to teaching martial arts. Check to see if the art they teach is legitimate; is is a recognized art, did they make it up themselves, who did they train with, for how long, what can you confirm online and by phone calls? There are sadly lots of 'McDojos' out there that will take your money, lock you into a contract, charge you for a new belt every six months, and you'll be a 'black belt' in a couple years and have no ability whatsoever, except for getting your butt kicked. Check the Better Business Bureau also; they sometimes have complaints online depending on what state/city you're in.

Ask questions - this is a good place to ask them. You may get differing opinions, but people here are kind and generous with their time and quite a few of them are very knowledgeable.

More than anything else, once you find something you like, do it. Perseverance is the biggest key to success as a martial arts student. I can tell you for an absolute fact that the most physically talented, gifted, natural athletes are the ones who so often seem to quit martial arts training without learning much of anything. The ones who really succeed in my experience are the ones that keep coming back; talent is great, but it pales compared to perseverance and determination. Keep going and you'll get better. Keep going and it will become more natural to you over time. Just keep going. Make it a habit and don't stop going to training. Just keep going.

Good luck!

OP
Z

zac358

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank all of you guys. Thanks for all that info it really helps. I'll make sure to ask on here if the person teaching in legit or not. Thank you