New to Kenpo..Need advice

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BuddhaGirl said:
I have been asked which style of American Kenpo the school teaches. I don't know this. The web site for the school is http://www.womaa1.com/skkii.html, maybe someone can tell me what style it is.

Kerry

Well, what you're doing IS NOT American Kenpo, as much as they'd like to tell you it is, which BTW, is why I asked the question to begin with. They are doing Paul Mills' interpretation of what he learned of American Kenpo. The only material available for you is only what the AKKI will/can provide, which is little. They're a pretty secretive group and don't let their written or video material get out to the rest of the world for some reason. Last time a manual went on sale on Ebay it went for a pretty steep price to keep it from getting out.

They're seems to be a lot of them on KenpoTalk.com, and they even have their own area there under Mr. Mills lineage category. My suggestion is to address your questions at that particular group as most here won't be able to help you much with the curriculum you're studying. You might also try www.akki.com as well.

DarK LorD

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is not that you are uncoordinated, you are just unfamiliar with this particular way of applying it. Touch-typing, playing ping-pong, dancing the foxtrot, or playing the violin all take coordination applied in a unique way...but this coordination is largely different than what is needed for Kenpo.

Sure, it will feel weird and your first few attempts will not be perfect. But you will be given plenty of time to learn these moves and get them right. You may be posting back in a few weeks saying that you are bored to death of star block set and are anxious to learn more :D

Enjoy...and keep posting!

Carol

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As far as the manual goes...I alway found it more rewarding to type or write my own notes. They contain my own version of shorthand and my own notes to make the movements easier for me to understand when I have to come back to them. If you get the manual, scribble in it constantly as it will help you form an interpretation tailored to your needs. After all...artis an expression of the self...right ?

Just make sure you ask a lot of questions and be a good little dooby. A good instructor will answer all of your questions patiently while a great instructor will anticipate them before you ask. Then again...if there is anything they can answer...surely some one on this site can.

Regards,
Walt

OP
B

BuddhaGirl

Uh-oh, I'm not learning American Kenpo? Figures I would join some secret freaky sect. Actually I live in a small town area and when I looked up Martial arts studios there were only a couple of them. One of them is more geared towards kids and afterschool programs. It is held in a former roller skating arena and they also have skating there. So I kind of felt they were less "serious" about the art. I emailed the owner/teacher of this school and he came across more professional and answered my questions more clearly. I was impressed with his answers so I decided to go with them.

As far as costs, I didn't know there were charges for the belt testing. I will have to ask about that on Tuesday. The Yellow Belt manual is $18.00. There was a $45 initiation fee which covers my uniform and my enrollment in the American Kenpo Association or whatever that I get a card and a patch for. I pay $60.00 a month for the classes.

hmm..now I am curious as to what I am actually learning here.

Kerry

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
BuddhaGirl said:
Uh-oh, I'm not learning American Kenpo? Figures I would join some secret freaky sect. Actually I live in a small town area and when I looked up Martial arts studios there were only a couple of them. One of them is more geared towards kids and afterschool programs. It is held in a former roller skating arena and they also have skating there. So I kind of felt they were less "serious" about the art. I emailed the owner/teacher of this school and he came across more professional and answered my questions more clearly. I was impressed with his answers so I decided to go with them.
Don't worry, you're learning Kenpo. The inquiry was made so you could be told you're not learning kenpo. Keep doing what you're doing and accept the advice from the positive people here. Ignor the negative and the ignorant, and focus on getting as much of the positive as you can from your teachers and from here. You'll be fine.

Welcome to MartialTalk.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Don't worry, you're learning Kenpo. The inquiry was made so you could be told you're not learning kenpo. Keep doing what you're doing and accept the advice from the positive people here. Ignor the negative and the ignorant, and focus on getting as much of the positive as you can from your teachers and from here. You'll be fine.

Welcome to MartialTalk.

Sadly, my statements are the truth, but people really don't want to hear the truth do they, they want to be told how nice and pretty things are in their little portion of the universe.

DarK LorD

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
BuddhaGirl said:

As far as costs, I didn't know there were charges for the belt testing. I will have to ask about that on Tuesday. The Yellow Belt manual is $18.00. There was a $45 initiation fee which covers my uniform and my enrollment in the American Kenpo Association or whatever that I get a card and a patch for. I pay $60.00 a month for the classes.

Kerry

I agree with Doc. There are many different lineages of Kenpo, as many of Mr. Parker's students took what they learned and went in different directions with it, some of them splitting before Mr. Parker's death, others after. Some made changes that they felt were appropriate, others try to stay as close as they can to what they learned from Mr. Parker.

Unfortunately, what you will see is that there can be disagreement between the different camps, but this does not mean that what you are doing is inferior or wrong. Just different. Some people get very hung up and territorial and obsessive over these differences. Most of us realize that it is all great Ice Cream, just a different Flavor.

What really matters is that you have a skilled and knowledgeable teacher who can help you grow in your training.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BuddhaGirl said:

Kerry, in my opinion, those fees are not unreasonable.

At my studio, we do not pay for belt manuals. My monthly fees are a bit higher. Testing fees, as I recall, were 25 bucks for colored belts, 50 bucks for brown belts, and I think will be 100 bucks for black belts.

I have heard stories (heresay evidence only) of schools that charge increasing fees for each belt test and manual.

At this point, it sounds like your school is pretty reasonable. Enjoy.

Mike

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I agree with Doc. There are many different lineages of Kenpo, as many of Mr. Parker's students took what they learned and went in different directions with it, some of them splitting before Mr. Parker's death, others after. Some made changes that they felt were appropriate, others try to stay as close as they can to what they learned from Mr. Parker.

Unfortunately, what you will see is that there can be disagreement between the different camps, but this does not mean that what you are doing is inferior or wrong. Just different. Some people get very hung up and territorial and obsessive over these differences. Most of us realize that it is all great Ice Cream, just a different Flavor.

What really matters is that you have a skilled and knowledgeable teacher who can help you grow in your training.
I loves me some "Butter Peacan." :) Flying Crane is absolutely right. MartialTalk is the best forum for any art on the web. Unfortunately we do have a sour puss or two from time to time and that's ok because when they surface, they stick out like an orangoutang on Jeopardy who can't even find the button to chime in.

Have faith in your teachers, but don't be afraid to ask questions, and use mature adult common sense. And most importantly, don't forget to have some fun while you're at it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BuddhaGirl said:

Kerry
Welcome to Kenpo politics! I assure you that Mr. Mills is respected by most organizations. His focus is a bit different than some Kenpo systems, but his influance is felt widely. I believe that more training time is spent learning to control the distance than you might get in another random APAK system.
Sean

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
I loves me some "Butter Peacan." :) Flying Crane is absolutely right. MartialTalk is the best forum for any art on the web. Unfortunately we do have a sour puss or two from time to time and that's ok because when they surface, they stick out like an orangoutang on Jeopardy who can't even find the button to chime in.

Have faith in your teachers, but don't be afraid to ask questions, and use mature adult common sense. And most importantly, don't forget to have some fun while you're at it.

An ORANGOUTANG, is that a new flavor of Tang with the orange out?

Peacan= a can of peas?

I'm not a sour puss, I answered the questions she asked, truthfully, and non PC, because honesty is not a virtue, it's a curse.

I do hope Budha Girl enjoys herself and her training, but at least she'll be informed of what she's doing before committing to contracts.

DarK LorD

OP
B

BuddhaGirl

I'm glad to hear that the costs are fairly reasonable for Kenpo classes. At first I was concerned about paying so much per month since I already pay each month to have a gym membership, but you can't put a price on good health and education now can you? ;) I will be asking about the belt testing costs however.

I can see that there are many opinions on the various styles of Kenpo or what is or isn't Kenpo. I respect everyone's opinion and those differences of opinion are what makes life interesting. I figure I will get out of this school what I am looking to get out of it. I want to get fit, be able to defend myself and learn some of the discipline that martial arts teaches. If I can do that then I am happy. Hopefully along the way everyone here will be able to offer advice and opinions even if my style is not their style. I'm looking forward to having enough knowledge to be able to take part in more conversations on here.

Kerry

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know of any person that agrees with another person 100 percent of the time. One does not always completely agree with one's spouse, or one's parents, or one's best friend. Likewise in the Arts, there are practitioners that do not agree 100 percent of the time.

There certainly are politics in Kenpo as you can see. The politics can be annoying...but they are simply a side effect of something magnificent: the deeply entrenched passion, love, and dedication that many practitioners have for our art.

Your training is just that...yours. You are the one making the investment, you are the one reaping the rewards. We're just electrons on your screen that disappear when you log off :D

OP
B

BuddhaGirl

Apparently I never log off :)

Or at least it seems that way today. Being snowed in all day is a great excuse to spend your time glued to the computer reading about Kenpo.

I have learned a lot today and it's kept me from being hungry and wanting to devour a whole jar of peanut butter or something.

Kerry

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
BuddhaGirl said:
Apparently I never log off :)

Or at least it seems that way today. Being snowed in all day is a great excuse to spend your time glued to the computer reading about Kenpo.

I have learned a lot today and it's kept me from being hungry and wanting to devour a whole jar of peanut butter or something.

Kerry
Skippy Super Crunch - yeah!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
the AKKI teaches real American Kenpo Karate!!

I suggest you contact Mr. Paul Mills himself. He was a student of the late Senior Grandmaster Ed Parker Sr., the man who put "American Kenpo Karate" together from the ground up. When Mr. Parker was alive he put Mr. Mills in several areas of great responsibility w/in the art/association. After Mr. Parker died Mr. Mills was placed in charge of things in Mr. Parker's stead!! Later, due to several reasons that I don't have the time nor space here to type out, Mr. Mills formed a new association.....the American Kenpo Karate International. One of the biggest and strongest Kenpo Karate associations around.

Like I said, I HIGHLY recomend you contact Mr. Mills and ask him ANYTHING you want......Anything. He's a great guy and loves to give information to anyone who's willing to just ask. His E-mail is
[email protected]
His PHONE NUMBER (not a school's, not an answering machine ....unless he's not there...but HIS number) is 1 - (307) 789-4124.
OR you can reach him by postal service at
PO BOX 768
Evanston, WY 82931

No matter what you do, IF you really want to know and understand what it is you'd be learning at Mr. Smith's school..
or if you want some info on Mr. Smith from a person who knows him well....contact Mr. Smith's instructor.........Mr. Mills.
I can 100% guarantee you that Mr. Mills would love a call like this and is Great about answering questions from anyone.....Multi-stripe Kenpoists or a young lady white-belt such as yourself.
PLEASE: When you do contact him, let him know that your "Brother John" sentcha!!!
He'd get a kick out of that!!!!!

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions