Stance Set II (2)

M

matthewgreenland

I am having quite a perdicament with Stance Set II's ending -

In a nutshell - this is how I learned the ending.

Following the left thrusting sweep kick and landing in a deep twist to 1:30 with a left inverted downward vertical punch, rise to a horse stance facing 12:00 -

QUESTION: Why are the ending hand movements in this order -

Right upward parry with a left mid level pushdown block (heel palm check) to the sternum.

Switch - Left upward parry with a right mid level pushdown block (heel palm check) to the sternum.

Left open hand mid level check with a right open hand mid level check.

Switch - Right open hand mid level check with a left open hand mid level check.

Left one-leg stance with a left upward parry and a right pushdown block off of the right hip

Switch - Right one-leg stance with a right upward parry and a left pushdown block off of the left hip

DROP INTO MEDITATING HORSE
CLOSE -

Is there a reason why the hand motions are arranged like that.
I am thinking about the beginning of the form where the right upward parry is first followed by the left upward parry with the appropriate checks. But, the open hand mid-level checks - and the one-leg stance has me stumped.

I am wondering if it was put that way for a reason -

Have at it - my fellow Kenpo family...

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never heard a reason. Just that you take the first 2 checks and the 4th as isolations. This is similar to the ending of Striking Set 1 utilizing the hand isolations before saluting.

You may want to post this question over on the Q & A string since it is so specific.

Have a Kenpo Kinda Day,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Great question, I am curious to see what te answer will be.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

I was taught stance set as a form, and that all the moves are predicated on techniques. Make up a Bunkai for the set and you will see where those sweep kicks and upward parries come into play. Look thru your techniques and see where those motions come from and then apply it to the set. It's definitely an eye opener, at least it was for me. Some of what you described in in Form 5 if you look for it.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Latest Discussions