New Tae Kwon Do Times

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got the newest issue of TKD Times Friday night. It is the March issue. I for one am not a huge fan of the magazine, however it seems there is always an article that has me wanting to buy the issue.

This one is no exception. I mean it is under 5 bucks, like Black Belt magazine. There are two articles that are worth reading in my honest opinion: 1. TKD Ettiquette and 2. WTF and ITF talk merger.

So I am giving a peer referred review.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've subscribed for years to TKD Times. Sometimes I wonder why, but then every once in awhile there is a gem article. I enjoy the profiles of the instructors the most.

Miles

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've subscribed for years to TKD Times. Sometimes I wonder why, but then every once in awhile there is a gem article. I enjoy the profiles of the instructors the most.

Miles

Mostly what I look for are articles on TKD technique. Unfortunately, they don't feature too many of these. So much of what they do publish seems to be peripheral fluff...

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD is not my primary art but I do enjoy reading TKD times on occasions. Like with Black Belt and Inside Kung Fu magazines, I take what is useful and enjoyable and discard the rest. (Sounds like something Bruce Lee might say?)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also think that it's important not have your expectations too high. Just enjoy it.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well like I said, under 5 bucks is worth reading a couple good articles every so often.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Every month I hope it is a good issue, and every month I am invariably disappointed. The cover personality almost always makes me wonder "What the hell did he do to get on the cover?". The technique article are generally non-helpful, and written and photographed in a way that makes me think "I would never do that!".
Ocassionally they have an interesting history article that makes me long for the good old days.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every month I hope it is a good issue, and every month I am invariably disappointed. The cover personality almost always makes me wonder "What the hell did he do to get on the cover?".

He paid a bunch of money. That's how it works with Black Belt Mag at least...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I've heard similar things, some of them from posts on MT. If I recall correctly, the going rate has been given as $10K for a cover shot + big feature article.

And you can see plenty of hookup between who gets how much attention in the `reporting' sections and favorable coverage in the articles, on the one hand, and who buys those full-page ads that seem to make up 3/4s of each issue, on the other...

In the end, it seems to be all about the long green, eh?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yea I was going to be on the cover once but I only had 13.00 and that was not enough, so instead I just took a picture with a camera and had a friend put me in it for free, the things you can do with this computor stuff.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea I was going to be on the cover once but I only had 13.00 and that was not enough, so instead I just took a picture with a camera and had a friend put me in it for free, the things you can do with this computor stuff.

:rofl:HAHA!! That is great!!!!:rofl:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally Posted by terryl965
:rofl:HAHA!! That is great!!!!:rofl:

What Lauren said... hysterical!! Hey, it beats shelling out ten grand, eh?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score

That brings an interesting thought to mind. Have any of you or your instructor ever been on the cover of BB Mag or TKD Times or any other nationally distributed mag for that matter?

I am asking, because I wonder how it helped or hurt your business. Maybe not at all.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That brings an interesting thought to mind. Have any of you or your instructor ever been on the cover of BB Mag or TKD Times or any other nationally distributed mag for that matter?

I am asking, because I wonder how it helped or hurt your business. Maybe not at all.

My Grand Master was on TKD Times and it really did not do much for him. He had it up in the school but he really did not talk about with perspective student he talk more about the training and what all the benefits would be instead

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score

My instructor was the first correspondent to Black Belt Magazine from South Korea, 1964-68. You can still find them reprinting his old articles in the back sometimes in the "from the archives" section. I've written about 5 articles for them that were published, but myself or my instructor have never been on the cover.

I'm currently a "Special correspondent and photographer" for TKD Times, but have never been in any articles in there.

R. McLain

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Both GMs Ed & Brenda Sell have been on the cover of TKD Times in the past. I'm sure it hasn't hurt them, but I don't know if it's helped them.

BTW: My avatar is my "cover" from 1983 that I had taken at Six Flags near Chicago. I was a green belt & I felt weird wearing a BB for this picture: like I was doing something wrong.=)

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My old instructor was a Korean gentelman, when he was on the cover of Taekwondo times it was not because of anything special it was because he had bought the cover. He had to purchase a ton of issues, his garage was full of them (I know, I helped him carry them into it). For years he handed out copies of these for publicity. Dont know if thats how they still decide who is on the cover but I have a feeling it is.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mostly what I look for are articles on TKD technique. Unfortunately, they don't feature too many of these. So much of what they do publish seems to be peripheral fluff...

Yup, I was a subscriber for a few years. I thought I'd get more pertinent info for my bucks. Anyway, yeah a lot of the content was of no use to me, BS to fill the issue IMHO, so I stopped renewing.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both GMs Ed & Brenda Sell have been on the cover of TKD Times in the past. I'm sure it hasn't hurt them, but I don't know if it's helped them.

BTW: My avatar is my "cover" from 1983 that I had taken at Six Flags near Chicago. I was a green belt & I felt weird wearing a BB for this picture: like I was doing something wrong.=)

Iceman—that's you??Migod, you were a ROCK STAR...

I guess we all were, 24 years ago.... :waah:

Latest Discussions