New ninja trend?

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there, in the last year or so, a new trend for new schools to suddenly spring up and announce that they are teaching ninjutsu; not an x-kan ninpo art either?

It seems like there are people out there who have brown belts in Judo/Jui jutsu and a purple belt in some form of karate and now remember training under a secret Ninjutsu grandmaster and need to sell it, I mean spread the word....

Gruenewald

Orange Belt
Reaction score
McDojos have been springing up for a LONG time, in almost every conceivable art (usually just the ones publicized most by popular media, though).

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there, in the last year or so, a new trend for new schools to suddenly spring up and announce that they are teaching ninjutsu; not an x-kan ninpo art either?

It seems like there are people out there who have brown belts in Judo/Jui jutsu and a purple belt in some form of karate and now remember training under a secret Ninjutsu grandmaster and need to sell it, I mean spread the word....

Last three decades or so I would say, where have you been dude?

OP
Hudson69

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Last three decades or so I would say, where have you been dude?

No, it died down for about 10-15 years, especially with the popularity of MMA but just recently there has been a rise. In my town there was one "Ninja" school, a Bujinkan dojo but now there is three and a To-Shin-Do; cool and all but they have only been there since 2007 or so.

Just say'n.........

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No, it died down for about 10-15 years, especially with the popularity of MMA but just recently there has been a rise. In my town there was one "Ninja" school, a Bujinkan dojo but now there is three and a To-Shin-Do; cool and all but they have only been there since 2007 or so.

Just say'n.........

They probably lost all their students to MMA during the initial MMA boom, but then all those students realised how much work was involved and how many more years it would take to get a BJJ black belt, and came back to their local 'ninja' school instead, especially the under/overweight academic types who read comic books and fantasy fiction genre.
:soapbox:

Shin71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
They probably lost all their students to MMA during the initial MMA boom, but then all those students realised how much work was involved and how many more years it would take to get a BJJ black belt, and came back to their local 'ninja' school instead, especially the under/overweight academic types who read comic books and fantasy fiction genre.
:soapbox:

Dude you just described a legitimate Budo Taijutsu class I sat in on in Colorado Springs (no names will be given). Less comic book and more fantasy LRRP.

One of the senior students gave me this "You need to speak english" look when I asked him about any sparring the class did. I didn't push the issue but from what I have seen on the boards it is kind of hit and miss from school to school.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I have not seen it here in Belgium. But all 3 kans have dojo here (though mostly Genbukan) so those who are looking can find a legit one. There are also a couple of neo-ninja schools out there, but afaik none of the legit schools wants to have anything to do with them.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I think the "overnight" appearance of the dubious ninjutsu schools are due to the recent uptick of Ninja characters in movies.

Batman Begins, GI Joe, Ninja Assassin, The Last Ninja, etc.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. I was none too pleased with the fact that a couple of ninjer flicks were released last year. I had hoped that the ninja fad would die a silent death. Alas...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh no, not another bout with ninja-mania..The first one was bad enough...