New member ...

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey Bob, I'm also with ussd and have seen the negativity but stick with it because I have a good instructor whom I respect. Best of luck to you.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Say Bob I have a question you might be able to answer since you were with Villari's organization. Is there any difference in what ussd teaches and what Villari's teaches. I figure since Mattera and Demasco were both with Villari until they were 7th dan's they probably teach the same thing I would think.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Bob---welcome to MT---good to have you with us! Hope you get all your questions answered...

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm in a good place and my needs met being met. That is what matters.

Well, that just about nails it, I guess. That's really the most important factor.
If you are interested in the History of SK, or in an archived list of techniques, feel free to check out my website. It doesn't have much on the USSD / Villari's splits (there were more than one), but that's because I tried to weed out the 'hearsay' and ended up with pretty much nothing left.

Matt

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Say Bob I have a question you might be able to answer since you were with Villari's organization. Is there any difference in what ussd teaches and what Villari's teaches. I figure since Mattera and Demasco were both with Villari until they were 7th dan's they probably teach the same thing I would think.

Yes, pretty much the same. Some of the terminology is different, Villari's system, they have combinations ... USSD has defensive manuvers ... but still, they are the same with slight variations on positioning, strikes and targets. This also relates to the forms. I have yet to see any major differences in the material required for rank. Villari's system seems to be a bit more "street-wise" ... USSD maybe a bit more technical, however, that could simply relate to the instructor. Hope that answers your question ...

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you know your lineage?
My personal lineage, yes I do. As far as styles, Fred Villari's and USSD. As far as my instructors and thier rank when I was with them: Frank Ley, 1st Degree (currently 6th Degree with USSD), FV; Dennis Knowles, 4th Degree, FV; Robert Pearlswig, 6th, FV (currently 8th Degree, ASSK); Currently training under a 3rd Degree, USSD. Again, this is just who I've been with not a complete lineage.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
My personal lineage, yes I do. As far as styles, Fred Villari's and USSD. As far as my instructors and thier rank when I was with them: Frank Ley, 1st Degree (currently 6th Degree with USSD), FV; Dennis Knowles, 4th Degree, FV; Robert Pearlswig, 6th, FV (currently 8th Degree, ASSK); Currently training under a 3rd Degree, USSD. Again, this is just who I've been with not a complete lineage.

So did you start at Fred Villaris then ASSK then back to USSD?

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So did you start at Fred Villaris then ASSK then back to USSD?

I was with FV from 1985-1992, now with USSD. Never was I with ASSK, that is Master Pearlswig's style today. At the end of my stint with FV, I was pretty much on my own, working out with Russell Streff (equal in rank at the time) in Mission Viejo, after Master Pearlswig left the area. The FV name had changed to International at the end as well.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was with FV from 1985-1992, now with USSD. Never was I with ASSK, that is Master Pearlswig's style today. At the end of my stint with FV, I was pretty much on my own, working out with Russell Streff (equal in rank at the time) in Mission Viejo, after Master Pearlswig left the area. The FV name had changed to International at the end as well.

You were with Master Scott Woods as well? What happened to him?
Does he have any dojos left?

jenngibbs2000

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome 14 Kempo! I am a blue w/green stripe in the USSD system and am completely devoted to my training and instructor. I am completely confident that the system is legitimate and have my children enrolled as well. I am also very aware of the negativity surrounding USSD and find it fairly ridiculous. USSD is a business, run by very adept business people. USSD is also a training ground for martial artists -- a very welcoming training ground with excellent instructors (especially in SoCal) and encouraging Masters. Every rank test to which I have been invited has been a huge educational opportunity facilitated by knowledgeable martial artists, including Shihan Paul Taylor. In short, I have been very impressed with both my so-called Mc-Training and the so-called shady businessmen of USSD. You get what you pay for!!

Latest Discussions