New instructional DVD being produced - your input needed!

M

MTResearch

Greetings all.

First of all, an introduction: I am a 1st Dan WTF Black Belt, currently studying a technology degree at University. I am currently working on a major project in which I am producing an interactive TKD instructional multimedia application (that is, a DVD).

Now I’m sure many of you are familiar with the general format of such instructional DVD’s - usually a performer will go through patterns and techniques with the intention of teaching the viewer better and correct technique. I would greatly appreciate any feedback from the TKD community regarding their experiences with instructional DVD’s, as this would greatly benefit my project.

I’m currently in the research stage of the project, and need to know how other TKD practitioners feel about the quality of current instructional DVD’s that are already on the market. I would be much obliged if as many people as possible could take the time to give me their thoughts and insights on TKD instructional DVD’s, and more specifically:

· What are your own personal experiences with martial arts instructional videos in general?
· If you have ever used a martial arts instructional video, what did you think of it?
· What features would you like to see in a martial arts instructional video?
· What, if anything, do you not like about currently available instructional videos?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you can help me in producing a new and innovative instructional video!

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personal Experiences with MA 'Instructional' Videos: While I have a few of them, I usually use them as a review of already learned material, rarely to teach myself something that I had not been previously taught in some way shape or form.

What did I think of it: I have yet to have found an instructional video with really good sound quality. I constantly had to adjust the volume one way or the other.

What features would I like to see in an MA video: Mulitple angles (at least 2 in most cases); multiple speeds (full, medium, slow); discussion of what is being performed with general tips and pointers throughout; closeups of hand/foot positioning when necessary, including base/planted leg for kicks; discussion/showing of weight distribution

What do I not like about current MA videos: like I stated before, most that I have seen seem to have bad sound and sometime bad lighting in a few cases. Also, the instructor/demonstrator can be informative without sounding like Ben Stein in Farris Beuller's Day Off. Most sound boring enough to put me to sleep.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about anything I wrote, feel free to PM me. If I think of anything more, I will edit or post again. Good Luck!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with all of the above, I think Shogun is right on.
One thing for sure-- don't put in fake dobok snaps that (almost) match up with the movements of the performer! I don't know why people always feel like they need to add these in!!

Butch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While I'm not a TKD person I have found the same thing in TSD although I must admit that one of the best I have seen was made by GM C.S. Kim. Since you are into interactive DVD you might look into technology that will let you tape yourself then overlay it onto the DVD to show how much you are off of the way the form or technique should be done. If you can do that I would buy it!
Butch

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen the pack of 3 videos "Revolution of Kicking"? They are really good, with explanations, demonstrations about the techniques, the typical mistakes, very good exercises to improve every movement, etc. Maybe you could look for them and take a couple of ideas.

Latest Discussions