New Guy

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm obviously new. Thought I'd make my first post an introduction, makes sense, right? I'm 23 hailing from sunny Oceanside, California. That's about 20-30 miles north of downtown San Diego. I like martial arts, movies, and music. I work full-time and go to school when I can afford it. I also play bass in a local band called The Mess.

Anyways I've been involved in martial arts since I was about four (off and on though,) learning a modified form of Shotokan Karate from my dad in our garage. He learned it from his uncle in the Philippines. When I was seven I had my first formal martial arts class in Aikido. It was fun, but I forgot why I stopped. Maybe the classes got too expensive for my parents, but whatever the reason I stopped. I then enrolled in what was labeled as Koga Ninjutsu when I was 11. I stayed there until the month I paid for was up and then left without ever turning back. The instructor kept trying to sell me things and I just felt that the instructor was trying to make a quick buck. It screamed McDojo. When I was 15 I was in independent study PE in high school and I decided to take up Taekwondo. I had a lot of fun in Taekwondo. Eventually I had to quit this school the following school year due to scheduling conflicts with school. I started back up in Taekwondo the last week of July of 2006 and haven't stopped going since. I've entered a few local tournaments getting some gold in sparring. I still can't break gold in forms though for some reason. I'm involved in a group that meets twice a month for some MMA sparring along with learning things from each other and also getting a chance to get some aggression out.

So yeah, I hope to learn a bunch of stuff here and hold some good discussions, debates, whatever.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good to have you with us, Bb.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT...

tad2bad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm new to this too. Help me out if you can

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
welcome!!! We can start the debate with: what's better training in the sands of sunrise or sunsets.....
Seriously,
Welcome and enjoy posting
Jeff,

OP
Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
welcome!!! We can start the debate with: what's better training in the sands of sunrise or sunsets.....
Seriously,
Welcome and enjoy posting
Jeff,

Well, I only see sunsets. I'm in a cave when it's dark and when I get out it's bright out. So I'd go with training in the sands of sunsets. Unless you meant something else and it went totally over my head.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome!

Anyways I've been involved in martial arts since I was about four (off and on though,) learning a modified form of Shotokan Karate from my dad in our garage. He learned it from his uncle in the Philippines.

Did he learn any FMA?

OP
Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
He knows a little Arnis, and I have a pair of Arnis/Kali/Eskrima sticks, but I don't know how to use them. I work with Professor Ron Pierce of Kajukenbo's wife. Apparently he teaches Kajukenbo, Kali, Tai Chi, and Firearms (he could teach other stuff, that's all I know of right now) I'm heavily considering training with him on top of my Taekwondo.

OP
Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes. What does "ave" mean and what is it's origin? I'm assuming it's equivalent to "hi".