New guy needing some major help

Full Circle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all, I am trying to pick an art to start learning and have some options and the more I look into what one is best for me, the more I'm confused! Here's some info about me - I'm very skilled at wrestling (have D1 offers) but will not be wrestling in collage as I want to focus on my pre pharm studies and later med school. I'm wrestle 135 lbs but normally around 150 lbs and my height is 5' 10".
Here's what I have available in my area. Some are close as 20 min. away and others are an 1 1/2 hours away. Would like to lean towards an art with some weapons training. The one that is close I would be able to get to twice a week and supplement with training at home. The ones that are further away would only be once every two weeks and have to supplement with training at home.

Moy Yat kung Fu - have heard good things about this school and are going to watch a class this week, but have not found much on here about Moy Yat Kung Fu. Could someone help me with some info on this style? Right now, because of how close this school is it's high on the list.

Kempo - Have watched a class and seem like lots of fast hand strikes and throws with some kicks. Seems like the school has a good teacher and looks to be very useful art if had to use on the street. Down side is it's just over an hour away.

Hapkido - Don't know much about this art other then what I've read and have not seen a class yet. Seems like a lot of locks and throws and good for the street. I just don't know much about this style. Again this class is about an hour away.

Then I have some that are 1.5 hours away that I know nothing about. But if they would be a better fit for me, I would be willing to travel some.

Kubudo

Iadio

Daitoryu Aiki jujitsun

Goju Ryu Karate

Aikido

Arnis

We do have a very nice training area at home with wrestling mats and several heavy bags, speed bags and throwing dummies to help with conditioning and training. I also would like to get my Dad involved to get him training again. He is very heavy but moves well for a fat guy. He was a D1 wrestler in collage and also boxed (more for conditioning) back then also. He does seem fired up about doing this with me, which is good as he needs to do something or he's going to be in trouble (health wise) later on. He has no other health problems right now. He is 36 years old and 6' 1" 280lbs.

Thank you for the help and sorry for the long post!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off welcome to Martial Talk.

Now on to your question the best way to degide which art or what school is to make a graph of what you are looking for and then go to each school and see if they offer what you are looking for, then once you norrow down your searches then go back to those school and try a class for free to see if this is what you want, after that sit down with each instructor and see which one you are most compatible with and then sign up. It is just that easy.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would be helpful to have more info. on what your goals are--self-defense, exercise, a hobby, etc. In general, choose a place close to where you live as life will overwhelm you otherwise and you'll just drop out. If you can't get there to train, it won't help you.

Your college will have a martial arts club. (I'm the faculty advisor for it at my college.) You may find many options there. At a smaller, teaching-focused DIII school you may even feel you have time enough to wrestle! It's different there, though of course the challenge may not be sufficient for you.

I'll give you some of my opinions on the arts, but the instructor makes a much bigger difference than the style. (Think about your own experiences with wrestling coaches.) You'll need to check out the schools.

Moy Yat kung Fu

Basically Wing Chun (Bruce Lee's original style). A very effective fast and close-in Southern Chinese striking style with an emphasis on the use of the hands. Usually teaches a short word and the staff but these aren't emphasized. Good for self-defense and for smaller people.

Alas, this could be almost anything, but when spelled this way is more likely to be Southern Chinese Kung Fu or a related style of Okinawan Karate than Ed Parker's system (though it could be a variant). Can't say much without more info.; it'll be a hand-oriented striking style, probably with forms and lower stances (but maybe not). May or may not teach weapons. It's a very general term.

Korean system that comes from jujutsu and usually emphasizes standing grappling (locks/throws) with strikes, including a variable emphasis on kicks (some styles are nearly Tae Kwon Do but this isn't typical). Considered one of the more self-defense-oriented Korean systems. Usually teaches some weapons.

I assume this is actually kobudo. It's a general term for Okinawan (and sometimes Japanese) weapons systems--the staff for sure and several others (sai, nunchaku, tonfa, kama, maybe others). It isn't usually taught as a stand-alone system as its weapons only, though it can be.

One of the two main traditional Japanese swordsmanship methods (the other is kenjutsu). Fascinating but very formal, precise, and traditional, and entirely focused on weapons (long sword and maybe also short sword or dagger).

Daitoryu Aiki jujitsun
The precursor of Hapkido and Aikido. A Japanese standing grappling system with locks and throws and limited striking. Good for self-defense; may or may not teach some weapons.

Goju Ryu Karate
Usually refers to a classical Okinawan form of Karate but there are also Japanese and USA versions. A strong striking style with some soft/circular components. Good for self-defense. Usually includes the staff and sai.

A Japanese standing grappling system with locks and throws. Usually will teach some weapons (long or short staff, wooden or actual sword). Takes a long time to make it practical for self-defense.

This is what I practice. A Filipino system with a strong emphasis on weapons (stick, sword, knife, maybe more) that starts with weapons training and then applies it to empty-hand self-defense. Good for self-defense (including without weapons).

Of course, all of these are useful for self-defense only if trained that way, meaning the instructor must take such an approach.

Don't overlook a (kick)boxing gym if there's one in your area.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Could you post links to the websites of the Hapkido and Daito-ryu schools you're considering?

A general warning: many schools that claim to teach Daito-ryu are not affiliated with a legitimate branch of the art. They tend to teach a mixture of other Japanese arts, like Karate, Aikido and Jujutsu. Legitimate Daito-ryu dojos in the US are few and far between.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In addition to all of the excellent advice you've already been given, visit the classes you're considering and meet the instructor(s), talk to the students, and if possible, try a class. No matter how good the style, if you don't like the instructor or the way the class is run, you won't stick with it.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

OP
F

Full Circle

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone, the info is very helpful! OK, to answer some questions. There are several reasons I would like to start learning one of the martial arts but staying active and being involved are the main reasons I would say. After thinking on this some and reading what you guys have posted, I'm going to look at the ones closer to home. Hapkido, Kenpo, and Moy Yat Kung Fu. With none of these more then 40 miles away I can get to two classes a week.
On my first post, I put Kempo but just hit the wrong key as it is a Kenpo school. Not sure if they are the same or not. I really don't want to get anyone slammed on a talk forum with me being new and all, so I really don't want to post a link to any sites in regards to Daitoryu Aikijujitsun. But yes, they also teach Karate, Aikido, and jujitsu at the same school.

Of the three styles I will be looking at (Hapkido, kenpo, and Moy Yat Kung Fu), what would be some questions to bring up or things to keep an eye out for when going to the schools? I guess what its going to come down to is what school just has the best fell when we visit.

Again thanks!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Check the schools out - good

But also you need to be able to get along with the teacher and his/her way of teaching as well. If you do not then it is likely that no matter how skilled he/she is you will not learn much or go to that school that long.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, welcome to the group.
Second, are you sure those are the only schools around? Check your local Y's and community centers. Many of those will have well established schools, but won't be listed in the Martial Arts section of the phone book.

AoG

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone, the info is very helpful! OK, to answer some questions. There are several reasons I would like to start learning one of the martial arts but staying active and being involved are the main reasons I would say. After thinking on this some and reading what you guys have posted, I'm going to look at the ones closer to home. Hapkido, Kenpo, and Moy Yat Kung Fu. With none of these more then 40 miles away I can get to two classes a week.
On my first post, I put Kempo but just hit the wrong key as it is a Kenpo school. Not sure if they are the same or not. I really don't want to get anyone slammed on a talk forum with me being new and all, so I really don't want to post a link to any sites in regards to Daitoryu Aikijujitsun. But yes, they also teach Karate, Aikido, and jujitsu at the same school.

Of the three styles I will be looking at (Hapkido, kenpo, and Moy Yat Kung Fu), what would be some questions to bring up or things to keep an eye out for when going to the schools? I guess what its going to come down to is what school just has the best fell when we visit.

Again thanks!

There are a variety of experienced teachers and students here who can provide advice and guidance. But, ultimately, your last sentence says it all. Only by giving some of these arts a try can you say what's right for you. Good luck!

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When asked the same question by prospective students, I invariably tell them the best art they could possibly study is the one they enjoy the most. It might be the style, it might be the history, it might be the proximity, it might be the teacher. It's the one you will practice without feeling like you're sacrificing something. It's the one you will practice and feel like you're gaining something. It's the one you'll practice without thinking about it.

Take some demo classes with several of the teachers and see if anything clicks.

Martial arts can be a lifelong pursuit so you've got time to try a few!

Best Wishes,