Would you train under an uncertified Instructor?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I started this same thread over on FMA Talk, but I'm interested to see how people over here respond. Here's the deal: a lot of martial arts instructors have verifiable certificates from well respected masters and assocations. Others do not. Would you train under an instructor who seems top notch and has been seriously involved in the martial arts for decades, but has trained here and there with different people, never got any certification--and doesn't care?

Wait, there's more. It's an Asian (FMA) martial art, but he's not of that nationality (although about half his students are). And, in his classes there's no rank or uniform. As far as rank is concerned, he says he knows where you're at. If you like uniforms, you can buy the school T-shirt...or not. Classes are friendly and informal. His students refer to him --respectfully-- by his first name. Regarding the value and practicality of technique, he encourages questions, and will answer them at whatever level of "reality" the student requires--from a patient explanation to a full speed, full contact demonstration if, "you really gotta know". Although, he is always careful about the safety of his students.

So, how would you feel about this guy?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it works for you, do it; if it doesn't, don't. I know plenty of good instructors who aren't "certified" for one reason or another (e.g. not at the rank certification can be obtained at, couldn't afford the course, couldn't attend the course, etc.), and plenty who are certified but can't teach.

The nationality seems unimportant to me; if he's a good instructor and attracts students, who cares about the rest? As far as his teaching style, with questions and how he answers - sounds like a good instructor to me.

Does certification matter to you? If it does, then you're never going to be happy with this person, because he's not certified; if it doesn't, then why ask?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would train with anybody that could show me techs. properly and conveye them during the instruction. Certification means little each day that goes by.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most (if not all) of my MA instruction comes from uncertified "instructors". {does it make me less of an MA-ist?} Friends who held the rank(s) and showed me in a classroom setting the how to's on a regular basis, not just a one time "hey let me show you this neat tech..."

I would still prefer a formal instruction and hope to achieve that goal this year.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me when the word "certified" is thrown out it sometimes has the ring of "over control". Certification is based on the standards set by a person or organization.
A student base of high quality is the best certification that anyone needs.
:ubercool:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I certainly would. There are so many organizations out there handing out certifications and who can keep track of them all. Some are good and some are bad. It's the knowledge and quality of instruction that's important.

As far as how I'd feel about the gentleman you describe, sign me up!

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Certifications look good on the wall and that's the only place they look good in my view.

This gentleman you speak of sounds like a good instructor, go for it. If he has all the attributes that you speak of, what more would you want out of an instructor.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, it almost sounds like my teacher... He does prefer that we wear an uniform, though (consisting of a red selendang, black trousers & our 'club' T-shirt), but apart from that, it's exactly my teacher ;). Also, I don't know about his qualifications at all, but I do that he's had some trouble with the official pencak silat organization etc. etc.

It doesn't really bother me that he doesn't have any qualifications (or, at least, doesn't put emphasis on them - he only said once, in the passing, that he knew the 'secret' jurus of setia hati terate) but sometimes, when people talk about the fact that their instructor is a something-dan, it's a little... well, it's sometimes stupid that I can't prove that my instructor's skill is legitimate.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I trained with Manong (GM) Ted Buot in Balintawak. He did not have any certification. GM Bacon did not give out any. Manong Ted does not either.
So those who train with me in Balintawak would be training with someone who has a documented heritage but no certification in the art or system.

I believe that I am offering good training in the system. Those who train with me in the system were also students of Manong Ted, so I take that as a sign that I have something to offer them in their continued education.

The short answer is Yes I would train. If I liked the person and thought I could learn. I did even drive over an hour for weekly privates.

Certification of the old Manong's in the FMA's is their in the USA and in some systems but not in all. So if you are looking to train in an FMA, check it out. Check the system and enjoy it.

I would stop by and say hi to your instructor based upon your description of his class and attitude. But what I do is not what most people do, so as in any source of data look at its' source.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I started training, certification was an unknown thing to me so I never asked. IMO, relying on certification means that, rather than accepting that this person, with whom you can train and verify his knowledge firsthand, knows what he is doing, you are now accepting on faith the word of faceless others that he knows what he is doing.

I mean, if somebody can buy a black belt and start a school, what's to stop a bunch of them from starting an organization and selling certification?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I trust the person, and what they're teaching -- it doesn't matter if they have a certificate from someone. After all, lots of legitimate styles simply don't have a certifying body. You might have a letter or note from your instructor, but no real certificate. And it might not look like much compared to some of the ornate things you see on the walls of a lot of these commercial places...

The biggest sign that my teacher trusted me and felt I was ready to teach wasn't the associations black belt certificate. It was, first, when he assigned me to prepare someone for their black belt test. It was, later, when he stopped teaching the class I came up in -- and left it in my hands. It is, still, when he occasionally visits, and says I'm doing the right things and that my students look good. When he finds room to comment and improve them... instead of simply watching. (That means my students have enough to be improved...)

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Without 'certification' (meaning rank in our style)...yes. Without his teacher's approval...no.

As a trusting beginner, it never occurred to me to question the 'qualifications' of the person I asked to teach me. They knew more than me...and that was enough. Certification and rank doesn't particularly matter to me. But...thinking on it a bit...I think it is a matter of character if one teaches without at least approval from one's teachers.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me when the word "certified" is thrown out it sometimes has the ring of "over control". Certification is based on the standards set by a person or organization.
A student base of high quality is the best certification that anyone needs.

Hard to argue with this. In some sense, it's students who promote you!

Lack of certification would only cause me to wonder if there could be "gaps" in his knowledge. But I've known many excellent uncertified/unranked instructors.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Certification has only really been around for a few years. Or at least everyones need to be certified has only been around for a few years. It doesn't really matter if someone is certified and they are not a very good instructor. I will go with the guy who is genuine bad dude and has the ability to help you become that way over the guy with a piece of paper.

We have some examples of this in my area and it is only a marketing strategy. Being certified brings in the students. I am a "certified" instructor, but I don't care about it if I can't make good karate-ka out of my students. It also makes the parents feel better about one being certified.

When is all of this crazy stuff going to stop?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Certified, I don't care. Qualified, not that is what is important. What qualifies the instructor? Seems you have already and from what you have stated I would have very little to complain about at this time.

On a side note: I learn from all of my students and most of them aren't certified as yet.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not see "nationality" as having any bearing on the value or competence of any martial artist.

Let's see...... would I rather have as a teacher the excellent man described in the initial post or some boob certified by a Sokeship Council? With the amount of spurious paper floating around, I am surprised the question is still being asked. Even IF the papers are legit, they tell me nothing about whether this person would be a good teacher - nor does the absence of papers tell me if he is a poor teacher.

I can see papers and breed being important if one is looking for a dog to breed. The quest here is a touch different.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as the art is not among the Koryu I don`t think it would matter to me wether the instructor is certified or not.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After watching a class or two and determining if the instructor knew what he was talking about, and the attitude and level of skill of the students in the class I would make my decision. Perhaps I've been around too long, or am a little too cynical, but titles and paperwork don't impress me, ability does.