New guy from outside Chicago

Bigwill

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all.I'm new to the forum, and wanted to introduce myself.I'm a married father of four, 34 years old. I trained in Taekwondo for six years when I was younger, about 15 years ago, but am just getting back into martial arts now (better late than never, right?). My son Jack (6) wants to train, and, looking for a studio with him, I got the itch again.Jack and I are training in Taekwondo together, but I'm considering ALS cross training in Judo and/or Ninjutsu.Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself.(Oh, and I don't know whether folks usually get into their professions, but I'm an attorney. I own my own practice, concentrating in criminal defense.)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Will,

Welcome aboard! It's quite a change from TKD to any of the X-Kan Taijutsu systems, or Judo, all the best with that. I trained in TKD and Karate when I was younger, and the switch was almost 360 degrees (definitely more than 180!).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

OP
Bigwill

Bigwill

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Will, Welcome aboard! It's quite a change from TKD to any of the X-Kan Taijutsu systems, or Judo, all the best with that. I trained in TKD and Karate when I was younger, and the switch was almost 360 degrees (definitely more than 180!).

It may be tough, and I certainly may decide to drop one or two. But I'm still in the exploratory phase. And I'd like to experience 'enough' to know what I love. (My TKD instructor also teaches Judo, and he's been learning Taijutsu for about two years now, and has begun incorporating some Taijutsu moves into his self defense class.)

I will say that neither TKD school I've studied at has been 'typical'. Whereas most TKD schools, IMO, are preparing folks for the 'sport', both of these have been more internal and self defense oriented. We don't even talk about point sparring, much less engage in it.

Plus, if it's more than 180 degrees, I'll just turn the other way! ;-)

Latest Discussions