Hi there!

Ianchaiya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
just got onto this forum and it’s the first martial arts forum I’ve ever joined. The reason being primarily I had nothing new or exciting to talk about!

I feel I finally do have something to talk about now so here I am.

I recently started training in Muay Chaiya in Bangkok, Thailand. After a sort of false-start involving being taught by the top (and possibly only at the time) farang student when I thought I would be trained by the Grandmaster, Kru Mud. Think it was a lost in translation thing but not on my part, I think the farang student wanted to train me instead and make a bit of cash. He proved a good teacher and I learnt a lot but he was too involved in his own thing and I often found myself training alone as he would nip around doing training and teaching here there and everywhere. After saying he going away for again for another month + I decided I had enough and went to talk to the grandmaster who said he was just as confused at the training set up as I was! But he didn’t want to interfere due to the nature of my trainer. After 4months of training, I onlyactually got 2 months of tuition which is a bit frustrating.

After talking to the grandmaster, all was cleared up, I asked to be his student in an initiation ceremony called 'Kun Kru' (
ขึ้นครู) and he accepted me (which ended just as a massive thunder storm erupted, causing a power cut. very auspicious!). I start my training with the grandmaster hopefully next week and start on a journey into the amazing, yet little practised martial art of Muay Chaiya. I’m very excited and look forward to developing the hard and soft aspects of the art which are essential to be able to perform the techniques properly. Kru Mud said I needed an empty cup. I feel my cup has a hole in the bottom so he has his work cut out for him!

I look forward to discussing Chaiya and other martial forms in general, and will (if time allows) be documenting my journey.

Mooyong

P.S
Just to clear something up, I’m not pissed at my previous teacher, just feel he shouldn’t have taken me on if he wasn’t prepared to postpone some of his own business to train me as he said he would.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! Glad to see you here as I am not familiar with your art. Can you give a description? Is it like Tae Kwon Do/Karate, or Hapkido/Aikido, Thai Boxing, or perhaps one of the Chinese arts?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. MT is a great forum to meet and chat with many different and knowledgeable people. Glad you were able to find us. We do hope you enjoy the site.

OP
I

Ianchaiya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
muay chaiya is one of the predecessors to modern muaythai. if muaythai is a sport, chaiya is a martial art through and through. knees and elbows are used to glorious effect but a massive emphasis is based on defence. footwork is really very complicated and teaches one to move from a left to right guard without opening ones body for counter attacking.

from my experience so far, body weight distribution is a key to the art, moving from one side to the next allowed one to generate a lot of power without sacrificing sure footing and balance. also attacks and defence are nearly always at a 45 degree angle so in attacking one isn't leaving ones self open for counter attack.

there are only 3 certified grandmasters in the world who teacher full 100% chaiya. one is my teacher :D as far as i know it isn't taught outside of Thailand yet as there is still very few people who have reached a proficiency eligible to be open their own camp.

i suggest looking it up on youtube, there's quite a few good videos up there, including a few of my own.

thanks for the interest.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, bro.

OP
I

Ianchaiya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my experience so far of this forum as been negative. i've had my art (muay chaiya) ridiculed and the victim of nay-saying and i've only been here a day!

i'm not scared to call muay chaiya 'amazing' at the fear someone will say thats rubbish. so many people here must have said kung fu/karate/tkd/escrima etc is amazing and met only with support. why such animosity towards chaiya?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
my experience so far of this forum as been negative. i've had my art (muay chaiya) ridiculed and the victim of nay-saying and i've only been here a day!

i'm not scared to call muay chaiya 'amazing' at the fear someone will say thats rubbish. so many people here must have said kung fu/karate/tkd/escrima etc is amazing and met only with support. why such animosity towards chaiya?
Please try not to feel personal affront Ianchaiya.

I do not believe you are victimised. You are a martial artist as are we all. All you need to do is remember that opinions are free to heed and but also free to ignore. Especially on a forum.

I sincerely hope you stick around. I am interested to hear your experiences.

OP
I

Ianchaiya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thank you, i came here to share and thats what i will do. and to those who think badly of chaiya, i will do my best to prove them otherwise, in a tactful and civil way, full of evidence!!

Latest Discussions