New girl from West Midlands, UK

RubberDuck

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself!

I am a 35-year-old mother of two and a couple of months ago decided that it was time I actually stopped daydreaming about one day learning a martial art and actually get on and do it.

I've been going to a Wing Chun class for a couple of months now and have got past the initial exhilaration and enthusiasm stage and am now in the "I really suck" stage. I thought I was fairly fit before I started, but it's been a bit of a shock - I seem to be the only person in the club who can't do 20 pushups on fingertips with ease!! And when my strength doesn't fail me my co-ordination (or rather lack of!) usually does (what... I have to be able to focus on my feet AND my hands at the same time?! ;) ). I'm not about to quit, and I'm not after any dumbing down of the training, but I think I'm finding it psychologically hard more than anything.

Anyway, no-one I know in real life really understands my interest in Martial Arts and so I went hunting on the internet and found you lot!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you could do all that stuff already, you wouldn't need the classes. ;)

Enjoy the journey, and welcome to MT.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ayup duck! Nice to see another Midlander walking the halls :D. Ow at?

Welcome to MartialTalk. Have a wander around, find a seat you like and put your feet up :).

OP
RubberDuck

RubberDuck

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome!

CoryKS: you're quite right, that would make the classes rather superfluous! I think it's just been a long while since I've done anything that required such a steep learning curve :)

Sukerkin: I hate to confess this, but I'm not a genuine Midlander... I spent a lot of time moving about. Started out life in Derbyshire, moved to Wales as a child, Uni at Brum, lived in London for about six years and now am in West Midlands. Never really had the opportunity to do the "making roots" thing ;)

Right... back off to read lots of old threads and lurk a lot until I actually know what I'm talking about.

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'm 44 and recently started Kenpo. I must say, many things in your post also apply to me right now. I understand how you feel, and you are not alone :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sukerkin: I hate to confess this, but I'm not a genuine Midlander... I spent a lot of time moving about. Started out life in Derbyshire, moved to Wales as a child, Uni at Brum, lived in London for about six years and now am in West Midlands. Never really had the opportunity to do the "making roots" thing ;)

That's perfectly fine. Your 'building blocks' were made in the Midlands so, despite their being carted about all over the place, you still 'qualify' :D.

Right... back off to read lots of old threads and lurk a lot until I actually know what I'm talking about.

A good idea. I did much the same at first. Never be afraid tho' to add your voice to the mix. On the whole MT has the fine characteristic of people being perfectly willing to listen to someones opinion or point of view.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Welcome

And if it helps, I have been at this stuff for ages and my family still thinks I'm crazy... of course it is possible that they would think that if I didn't do MA too :D

OP
RubberDuck

RubberDuck

White Belt
Reaction score
I must say, many things in your post also apply to me right now. I understand how you feel, and you are not alone :)
That's good to know :)

A good idea. I did much the same at first. Never be afraid tho' to add your voice to the mix. On the whole MT has the fine characteristic of people being perfectly willing to listen to someones opinion or point of view.
It certainly seemed one of the friendlier forums that I found on my search!

And if it helps, I have been at this stuff for ages and my family still thinks I'm crazy... of course it is possible that they would think that if I didn't do MA too :D
Heh, yes. This isn't the first thing that would make people question my sanity ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good to know :)

It certainly seemed one of the friendlier forums that I found on my search!

Heh, yes. This isn't the first thing that would make people question my sanity ;)

Oh you've definitely found the right place then lol!!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, RubberDuck. You are in fine company, and of like mindedness. Kick back and enjoy.

Latest Discussions