Hello from the North West UK

Yeong-gug-in

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello! I hate these first posts introducing myself :banghead:

I hope this is a friendly active community, because I hate those smack down "your matial art doesn't work, Kata is pointless, this doesn't work in real life" forums :rolleyes:, yaaaawn, I'm sure it is otherwise I wouldn't be here. I'm 28, male, I started late in martial arts a couple of years ago with Tang Soo, but for reasons I won't go into I decided the school wasn't for me, after a little searching I found a totally amazing instructor in Shotokan Karate who I think is frankly one of the best in the North West, I just got my purple belt and I'm looking forward to a long long long journey in Shotokan.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, bro. Nice to have you here. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, I'm across the Pennines from you. :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Good to have another Pommy karateka around. A few more and we might even convince a few here that kata isn't useless. ;)

Unfortunately I can't guarantee you won't find a few guys who will challenge the effectiveness of your martial art, but hey, it wouldn't be a MA forum without that. :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking, 'North West', that's Iain Abernethy territory!

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hope this is a friendly active community, because I hate those smack down "your matial art doesn't work, Kata is pointless, this doesn't work in real life" forums :rolleyes:, yaaaawn, I'm sure it is otherwise I wouldn't be here. I'm 28, male, I started late in martial arts a couple of years ago with Tang Soo, but for reasons I won't go into I decided the school wasn't for me, after a little searching I found a totally amazing instructor in Shotokan Karate who I think is frankly one of the best in the North West, I just got my purple belt and I'm looking forward to a long long long journey in Shotokan.

With regards to this, one of the most active threads at present seems to be precisely about the effectiveness of Shotokan for self defense. Pretty heated with the usual arguments yada yada..

By the way, welcome to MT. I will be passing through the Lake District Area en route to Edinburgh / Isle of Skye for a holiday at the end of this Month...

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not all "smack doen your kata dosnt work"is bad, master ken does it quite well :D
master-ken.jpg

Nice to meet you by the way! Congragulations purple belt is big step forward

Latest Discussions