OP
reeceari

reeceari

White Belt
Reaction score
You first step should be to train the basics. Basic stances, basic punching, and conditioning (push ups, sit-ups, etc. nothing crazy). The point of stance training is to learn how to do the stance correctly and to be good at it. I wouldn't learn from a video unless it's from a good instructor. There are some really horrible videos out that could cause you harm. A good example of this would be stances. If you do your stances wrong because someone is teaching it wrong, then you'll injure your knees in a bad way.

Stances seem to be easy and straight forward, right up to the point when someone starts explaining how to do them, how the weight should be balanced, how the feet should be turned, how low you should go, the posture of the back, weight distribution, and so on. There's a lot going on even with the simple stuff.
I am learning stances and balances first, at home of course, today is my second day, I am going to try my best, until I can find a teacher :)

OP
reeceari

reeceari

White Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes, we need to ask why we are doing something, right?
In your case, I'd ask myself: why do I want to learn kung fu from videos?
  • to defend myself? (you can't learn that from videos)
  • to fill time, say, while watching dials alone as a security guard? (it would be better to do calisthenics or something ... read, sketch, write, or watch TED talks)
  • to look cool? To whom? (it would be better to actually do something well to look cool, and be cool.)
  • to get in shape? (running/biking/swimming would be better)
... or is there another motivation? Be honest, please.
To defend myself, How else am I supposed to learn, I can't afford lessons, is there teachers that do it for free?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't learn with a professional though, I live in a village so there isn't any classes :( How can I learn Kung Fu without a trainer?

You cannot. Without a teacher, making any real progress in martial arts training is, while not totally impossible, ridiculously slow, even for relatively basic stuff.
That isn't what you want to hear, I'm sure, but it's the truth.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am learning Kung Fu for self defence not fitness but I am sure I will be more fit from Kung Fu :)
Kung fu can make you fit, but not going about it this way. You need a good teacher or you will not progress, even if you think you are. This is honest advice. Don't waste your time in this way, don't waste your money on useless "instructional" videos.

OP
reeceari

reeceari

White Belt
Reaction score
You cannot. Without a teacher, making any real progress in martial arts training is, while not totally impossible, ridiculously slow, even for relatively basic stuff.
That isn't what you want to hear, I'm sure, but it's the truth.
If a teacher is what is needed, I am going to look hard, I might have to travel far though.

OP
reeceari

reeceari

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, then -- learn to box and get to know the tough guys well enough so they can give you tips on how to defend yourself in a fight.
Dedicate yourself to Boxing and the Gym for 6 months and you'll be well on your way to being able to defend yourself - and fit.
I don't have a passion for boxing, I love Kung Fu, I am going to try my best to find a teacher, wish me luck lol :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If a teacher is what is needed, I am going to look hard, I might have to travel far though.
If you don't have money it may be tough finding a teacher.
I don't have a passion for boxing, I love Kung Fu, I am going to try my best to find a teacher, wish me luck lol :)
What makes you have a passion for kung fu if you have never tried it? Do you have friends who also want to learn, or are you alone in that..it may be easier with friends.

OP
reeceari

reeceari

White Belt
Reaction score
If you don't have money it may be tough finding a teacher.

What makes you have a passion for kung fu if you have never tried it? Do you have friends who also want to learn, or are you alone in that..it may be easier with friends.
I've always loved Kung Fu, I love Kung Fu movies, I love how they use animals to attack and defend, I just feel a pull to it :) I will keep you all updated, hopefully I will find a teacher close by.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you can't find a teacher, learn boxing and self-defence until you can move out of the village and get a job in a larger town with a kung fu teacher.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Boxing is a very realistic self defense art. It doesn't teach ground fighting, but it's highly effective on your feet. And if you get good enough at it, it'll keep you on your feet. It's quite simple on the surface, but it gets pretty deep/technical as you progress. I've worked out with boxers, so that's my experience with it anyway.

If there's a boxing club/gym and you don't have any money or not enough money, ask if you can work something out with the owner. Floors always need to be swept and mopped, garbage always needs to be taken out, etc. If you're serious about it and prove you'll do whatever it takes, the owner may let you train in exchange for some hours of work. Only one way to find out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am learning stances and balances first, at home of course, today is my second day, I am going to try my best, until I can find a teacher :)
You need to find someone that has enough skill and knowledge to at least correct any errors that you may have in your stance. This means video taping yourself while in the stance showing the front, the back, and the sides. Then getting feedback on if you are doing it correctly or not. There are a couple of people in MT that are skilled enough and have enough knowledge to help you out. Just make sure that they train Kung Fu because the horse stance in karate and TKD are a little different than a Kung Fu horse stance.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've always loved Kung Fu, I love Kung Fu movies, I love how they use animals to attack and defend, I just feel a pull to it :) I will keep you all updated, hopefully I will find a teacher close by.
Actually kung fu fighting isn't that colorful or exciting. Hollywood always makes fighting look cooler than what it really is.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are basing it on that, you will be highly disappointed when you spend the first year learning basic stances and strikes, and one form...

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe your future lies in a career as a martial arts stuntman, so you can do all the fancy stuff. But you have to be an excellent real martial artist first. No learning from videos. Good luck finding the teacher!

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
why are you limiting yourself to only kung fu? If boxing is available to you then by all means learn that, just because you learn boxing does not mean you can learn kung fu at a later time.

Latest Discussions