New 3rd Dan

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
This past weekend I passed my 3rd Dan test in Flint, Michigan, test was hard and fast and most of all fun.

Made all my breaks, past the written exam with a 96%

At 50 years old and not having tested in 7 years I was very nervous and concerned about the phyical part, turns out not to be a problem, once things got started I felt like a 25 year old, I will admit I was sore for the next 2 days after.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fantastic! Well done! You are a great example! next time I feel that my age is holding me back I'm going to remember your test!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm very glad to hear about your great success, mjd—what's really impressive to my mind is how well you did given the timespan between your previous testing and this one; clearly you've stayed on your game really well.

My own feeling is, people can cheat the calendar a lot more than they realize by staying very active. A lot of the way we're used to picturing people in their 50s and older has been shaped by images and stories from a generation ago and reflect completely out-of-date lifestyles, not biology. (I've got a decade on you and I have to believe that aging can be slowed way, way down!)

Anyway, congratulations—I hope you've celebrated your victory fully!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations!
icon14.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats!!!:ultracool

Mike

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is an AWESOME accomplishment, at any age! Congratulations on a MAJOR milestone and a seriously-great accomplishment, MJD!!

Best wishes to you. Soak. Heal. Then celebrate!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Way to go!!
I am glad you had fun too!!
I truely believe you are only as old as you let yourself think you are!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations MJD!

Besides the breaks and the written exam, what else did you do? You mentioned it has been 7 years since your Ee dan test. How long have you been training?

Miles