Never keep a weapon near your bed

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Maglite and the Harries technique (or several others). That also spares you the risk of using a gun as a flashlight... and the cost of the adapter kit.

Gun lights are great tools, for the right purposes. But I'm not exactly convinced they're ideal for home defense; you want to be able to look at things in the dark without pointing a gun at them.
Plus a two way street, eliminating a target also affords the target something to shoot at. I was taught, gun in one hand and light in the other and away from the body, as another alternative.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plus a two way street, eliminating a target also affords the target something to shoot at. I was taught, gun in one hand and light in the other and away from the body, as another alternative.
I've never liked that one. If I'm carrying a light in a shooting situation, by the time you aim at my light, I'm pulling the trigger myself. And the muzzle flash will top the light... I'd rather have the support hand able to help support the gun rather than off to the side somewhere as a general rule.

It's got a place, and it's worth knowing and practicing with occasionally -- but if I'm using the flashlight, I prefer the the Harries.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never liked that one. If I'm carrying a light in a shooting situation, by the time you aim at my light, I'm pulling the trigger myself. And the muzzle flash will top the light... I'd rather have the support hand able to help support the gun rather than off to the side somewhere as a general rule.

It's got a place, and it's worth knowing and practicing with occasionally -- but if I'm using the flashlight, I prefer the the Harries.
Thanks for the feed back. It was presented at a night shoot I was at. We covered different techniques used by other departments.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, gentlemen, I've taken on board all of your opinions, and I've reviewed the various flashlight techniques at http://www.surefire.com/articles-handheld_techniques, and I've come to the conclusion that a flashlight mounted directly onto my gun is the best option for me (thanks to Tex for the Streamlight suggestion). It is now on my Christmas wish list and I suspect my sister will get it for me, because I told her this significantly reduces her chances of being accidentally shot in the middle of the night. I have also found a number of sources for an under barrel picatinny rail mount, at about $65.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, gentlemen, I've taken on board all of your opinions, and I've reviewed the various flashlight techniques at http://www.surefire.com/articles-handheld_techniques, and I've come to the conclusion that a flashlight mounted directly onto my gun is the best option for me (thanks to Tex for the Streamlight suggestion). It is now on my Christmas wish list and I suspect my sister will get it for me, because I told her this significantly reduces her chances of being accidentally shot in the middle of the night. I have also found a number of sources for an under barrel picatinny rail mount, at about $65.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

I would still recommend a separate small hand held light, preferably on a lanyard, as there are times you really don't want to be pointing the firearm just to light something up.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

It has it's place, for example a high/low peek around a corner during a building search.

Latest Discussions