Never keep a weapon near your bed

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
This almost happened to me years ago. If my wife hadn't screamed just in the nick of time she'd be dead now.

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/police-fla-man-kills-159257.html

I'm posting this in the firearms section because, in this case, the weapon was a gun. The same could also apply to knives, swords, etc. If you must keep a loaded firearm in the house, be sure it's secure enough that you cannot deploy it unless you are fully awake. In my case, the weapon was an 8" hunting knife that I used to keep between the mattress and box springs. I thought I heard an intruder in the house. I reached over to check on my wife and could've sworn she was still in the bed with me. I must have been half asleep, sleepwalking or whatever. I saw this shadowy figure coming through the bedroom door, pulled my knife and lunged out of bed. She screamed and I broke off my attack just in time. I still can't believe I was able to regain my faculties that quick. She and I are both very lucky. From that day forward I have never kept a weapon of any kind within easy reach of the bed. I keep a loaded shotgun in the closet inside a case. That requires me to be awake enough to walk across the room, open the closet, get the gun out of its case, jack a shell into the chamber and remove the safety. Hopefully if I'm able to do all those things I'll be awake enough to know who I'm shooting at before I pull the trigger.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even better advice is identifying your target before putting rounds downrange. That's why a flashlight is vitally important.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even better advice is identifying your target before putting rounds downrange. That's why a flashlight is vitally important.

Amen.

As for me, I would rather be a victim because of hesitating than endure the pain of hurting or killing a loved one.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is why my weapon is locked in a safe with ammo in a different room. Not very practical for defending my house....but just fine for it not being fired by the wrong person or at the wrong time.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Amen.

As for me, I would rather be a victim because of hesitating than endure the pain of hurting or killing a loved one.

Exactly......more to the point, with proper previous planning, proper target identification shouldn't put one at a tactical disadvantage.

I am concerned about keeping locked and loaded firearms near the bed. If one does choose to keep a firearm near the bed, it should be in Condition 3.......chamber empty, full magazine, hammer down (if hammer applicable) and safety on.

A couple conscious steps in the process should be required before the gun is able to be discharged.

And any gun intended for home defense should have a bright weapon light attached, AND an additional separate hand-held light right next to it so as not to muzzle any ambivalent targets.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is why my weapon is locked in a safe with ammo in a different room. Pretty much worthless for defending my house....but just fine for it not being fired by the wrong person or at the wrong time.
fixed that for you...

Exactly......more to the point, with proper previous planning, proper target identification shouldn't put one at a tactical disadvantage.

I am concerned about keeping locked and loaded firearms near the bed. If one does choose to keep a firearm near the bed, it should be in Condition 3.......chamber empty, full magazine, hammer down (if hammer applicable) and safety on.

A couple conscious steps in the process should be required before the gun is able to be discharged.

And any gun intended for home defense should have a bright weapon light attached, AND an additional separate hand-held light right next to it so as not to muzzle any ambivalent targets.

While I don't necessarily agree that the weapon should be kept unloaded, locked up, or in condition 3, I do agree that proper target identification is an absolute must. This is the reason why my "nightstand pistol" has a weapon light attached.

jamz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Four Rules:

1. The gun is ALWAYS loaded.
2. NEVER point the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy.
3. Finger OFF the trigger until sights aligned and you are ready to shoot.
4. ALWAYS know what your target is, and what is behind your target.

If everyone followed Rule 4, the number of accidental/negligent shootings would be cut by at least half. If everyone followed all the rules, there would be almost no accidental/negligent shootings, ever.

One should never ever fire at anything unless one knows exactly what it is. :)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've heard of a few chilling cases where people shot their loved ones or the fireman. Yes very sad to hear such and one thinks 'it could happen to me'.

Now does that mean I will get so scared I’ll make the mistake of panicking and attacking the wrong one? I doubt it.

Does it mean I should give up all ideas of self defense in the home because a few people have made grievous errors? No and here is why:

I read of an awful lot of home invasions, robberies, burglaries gone bad, angry ex-spouses/boyfriends that kick in doors and kill the ones inside, etc…. Far more than of stories of mis-identifcations.

Like KenpoTex and sgtmac_46 are saying, make sure of your target and keep a method of identifying potential targets (flashlights or such.)

Don't be a fool and think taking up all you weapons makes you safe for either yourself or others.

Deaf

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Four Rules:

1. The gun is ALWAYS loaded.
2. NEVER point the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy.
3. Finger OFF the trigger until sights aligned and you are ready to shoot.
4. ALWAYS know what your target is, and what is behind your target.

If everyone followed Rule 4, the number of accidental/negligent shootings would be cut by at least half. If everyone followed all the rules, there would be almost no accidental/negligent shootings, ever.

One should never ever fire at anything unless one knows exactly what it is. :)

100% in agreement.

Ceicei

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
While I don't necessarily agree that the weapon should be kept unloaded, locked up, or in condition 3, I do agree that proper target identification is an absolute must. This is the reason why my "nightstand pistol" has a weapon light attached.

This is a great idea, and I can't believe it never occurred to me.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My 45kg 'weapon' sleeps on the floor by the bed, knows everyone local by sight and smell so is not likely to attack the wrong target, has greal night vision equipment and also possesses a blood chilling audible alarm! As backup there is a standby unit stationed the other side of the bed next to my wife.
icon10.gif
We sleep like babes!
icon7.gif

OP
blackxpress

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
My 45kg 'weapon' sleeps on the floor by the bed, knows everyone local by sight and smell so is not likely to attack the wrong target, has greal night vision equipment and also possesses a blood chilling audible alarm! As backup there is a standby unit stationed the other side of the bed next to my wife.
icon10.gif
We sleep like babes!
icon7.gif

I have one of those "weapons" as well. I'm not good at metric conversion (stupid American that I am). Mine only weighs 10 lbs., more of an intruder alarm than anything else. Definitely sufficient to wake me up and give me plenty of time to get prepared.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 40lb puppy and still growing. I think he will be an excellent guard dog! Still I am not relying on him but instead see him as an augment to the security alarm system already in place as well as the tools that I have available for a moment of personal protection. Bottom line I think everyone is in agreement in that you need to identify your target, be awake and in control. Part of your training should be learning how to wake up fast, sleep with your senses still working, etc. That way when you do see, hear,feel some thing you are immediately awake and ready to go!
icon6.gif

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
The dogs are without a doubt a tactical advantage and my 3 are "HSLD" for sure. :)

My Handgun sits by the bed, round chambered, hammer "decocked". I would never pull the trigger on an unidentified target, same as I would never SWING A BAT A SILHOUETTE IN THE HALLWAY!!! Gun's give us range and so extra factors apply, but some rules apply to any weapon. Just think about what you are doing, and who you're about to take out!

It also helps to have a frank discussion with anyone family members or friends who have keys etc to your place.... they should all know, even if you think I am out of town or something, IDENTIFY yourself when you let yourself in, day or night.

Lastly, people have got to learn introspection, be honest with yourself... Know your temperament, are you a clear thinker when scared? Easily rattled? You should be able to answer for yourself if its safe for you to have instant access to a loaded weapon upon waking up.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hell I have no worries as I live alone. if I wake to some one in my home they are an intruder and burglar, or a murderer with intent to kill.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hell I have no worries as I live alone. if I wake to some one in my home they are an intruder and burglar, or a murderer with intent to kill.

Exactly.

There is no "one size fits all" storage procedure. Some people will have different acceptable methods, depending on their situations.

I'm not a heavy sleeper, and I always keep one next to my bed on the nightstand. However, it's in the holster, and to take it out of the holster will mean that I have to use both hands, unless I actually put the holster on a surface, and overcome the holster tension and / or thumb break.

For me to do that is going to require that I be aware. Fortunately, since I'm more of a light sleeper, that has never been a problem.

If I had (or will have?) kids, then I'll modify things, but until that day comes, I'll stick with my current methods.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Besides my wife, I have an 8yo boy and a 2yo girl. If something goes bump in the night it's probably one of them. In general, my biggest concern is one of the kids not being fully awake and mistaking the sofa for the toilet. I chose my neighborhood in part because it has a low crime stat (bearing in mind that crime is rising everywhere in inverse proportion to the declining economy). But that doesn't mean that it's guaranteed to be no threat.

Gotta have a plan. SD weapons are great but lights, knowing what's behind where your shooting (like your kid's room, for instance), and other concerns need to be considered BEFORE HAND. If there's one thing we know it's that humans typically make crappy "snap decisions" but if we spend even a little time before hand to walk through the variables and take the branches on the decision tree then we're capable of really good results. Take that time and figure out what will be what before hand.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I had (or will have?) kids, then I'll modify things, but until that day comes, I'll stick with my current methods.
When that day comes for you, please let me recommend one of those "quick access" safes. The kind with the hand imprint and combination buttons under the fingers can give you reasonable assurance of keeping unauthorized hands off your SD tool while giving you quick access in case of an emergency.

You're also going to start thinking of things you NEVER thought of before such as "how can I be sure that a round won't over penetrate and enter my child's room?" Then you start looking at exotic ammunition and thinking about filling walls with sand or lining them with kevlar or the like. Both ideas are expensive and/or impractical so you're going to end up concluding that you need to be double sure of what's behind your target and triple sure of shot placement. ...and those exotic ammunitions that previously seemed too expensive to be even a remote consideration start looking a lot less expensive. You still may not buy them but you'll look at them a lot more when you go to the gun store.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions