Never keep a weapon near your bed

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I talked about this subject once with a firearms instructor/LEO trainer who had a great quote about it. "The only thing that sounds scarier than you racking your slide in the bedroom, is somebody racking theirs in your living room"

I personally would want the first sound a burglar hears to be my command for them to stop while I have them covered. If they fail to comply, then the next sound I would want them to hear would be the last one they would. I wouldn't want to warn them I'm there and give them time to escalate.

as always, YMMV

The first sound I want a home invader to hear is... "boom", and that should be about the last sound they hear.

For a burglar to enter my house while I'm there, to me they are a home invader. Yes do identify who is whom, but if you know they are in fact not supposed to be there, well do you ask them if they have a weapon first? Or do you look for the weapon after...

Don't come to Texas and break into homes. It's a dangerous occupation around here.

Our slogan, "Don't Mess With Texas" has a new meaning.

Deaf

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok, i got an intruder lets say, do I go out and hunt him? NO! I go defensive and make sure the safety is off and then well if he/ she comes through that door.. I will shoot and not just once! I think you have to assume that they want your life or they would have left !

that said do not try to clear rooms. that is a minimum 2 man job normally.. usually 4 to 5 men actually.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok, i got an intruder lets say, do I go out and hunt him? NO! I go defensive and make sure the safety is off and then well if he/ she comes through that door.. I will shoot and not just once! I think you have to assume that they want your life or they would have left !
If you can hole up in your room then that's fine.

If, on the other hand, you have a family, sleeping in multiple, separate rooms, then you've got to figure out some way to protect them. And hiding out in your own room, shooting anyone who comes through the door ain't it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the type of thing "To each their own and what they feel comfortable with".

Me personally, an unloaded weapon in the house and out of reach is a useless weapon and you might as well sell it unless your keeping it for setimental reasons.

TKDHomeSchooler

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also keep a flashlight by the bedside pistol safe, for 2 reasons. 1. is target identification and 2. is this thing is bright enough to disorient an actual attacker long enough for me to drill lead COM (after proper target identification).

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
This scenario of urban warfare or homejacking, how likely is that?
I don't want to sound cynical, but if the odds of accidents (playing kids, mistaken identity, etc) is higher than the odds of being intentionally assaulted in your own home, then logic would dictate that it's probably better to stick with traditional weapons than with guns, no?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't want to sound cynical, but if the odds of accidents (playing kids, mistaken identity, etc) is higher than the odds of being intentionally assaulted in your own home, then logic would dictate that it's probably better to stick with traditional weapons than with guns, no?

Choosing a course of action based on what statistics would indicate as "logical" is fine until you end up being one of the exceptions. In cases like this, being an anomaly can get really expensive.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Put the sure before the fire. SureFire. :D

The Surefire X300 and X400 look beautiful, but they are high quality and thus expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative? I have a 1st generation rail-less Glock 19, so I would also need to buy a rail adapter kit.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Surefire X300 and X400 look beautiful, but they are high quality and thus expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative? I have a 1st generation rail-less Glock 19, so I would also need to buy a rail adapter kit.
A Maglite and the Harries technique (or several others). That also spares you the risk of using a gun as a flashlight... and the cost of the adapter kit.

Gun lights are great tools, for the right purposes. But I'm not exactly convinced they're ideal for home defense; you want to be able to look at things in the dark without pointing a gun at them.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score

The Streamlight TLR-1 can be had for around $100. Here's one source:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/streamlight-tlr1-weaponlight.html

Streamlight makes a good product, I use a TLR-2 (same as above but with the addition of a laser) on my Glocks both as a "nightstand gun," and at work (I think I actually posted a picture of it earlier in the thread). However, I also have a hand-held light immediately available either for times when I want to illuminate something w/o pointing a gun at it, or for times when I can't have both hands on the gun (opening a door, etc.).

That said, if your gun doesn't have a rail, I probably wouldn't bother.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't want to sound cynical, but if the odds of accidents (playing kids, mistaken identity, etc) is higher than the odds of being intentionally assaulted in your own home,
Last time I checked the statistics had it that a Home Invasion was more likely than a child having an accident with a firearm in the home. And shooting misidentified individuals was even rarer.

So, while, statistically speaking, Home Invasions are less common that, say, Sexual Assault, misidentified targets and "child accidents" are not the big dangers they're made out to be.

As an example, here in the Dayton, Ohio area in the last year we had two (extremely sad) incidents where children inappropriately accessed family owned firearms and were killed and one incident of a misidentified target (both very high profile and reported because there hadn't been ANY of either for several prior years). In that time we have had at least double the number of Home Invasions that made it to nightly news reports (not counting those that didn't).

Yes, it's true, no one wants to accidentally shoot their kids or their wife. I'm glad that it's very uncommon.

then logic would dictate that it's probably better to stick with traditional weapons than with guns, no?
Because stabbing your spouse or crushing her skull with a hardwood club labeled "Louisville Slugger" is better?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last time I checked the statistics had it that a Home Invasion was more likely than a child having an accident with a firearm in the home. And shooting misidentified individuals was even rarer.

So, while, statistically speaking, Home Invasions are less common that, say, Sexual Assault, misidentified targets and "child accidents" are not the big dangers they're made out to be.

As an example, here in the Dayton, Ohio area in the last year we had two (extremely sad) incidents where children inappropriately accessed family owned firearms and were killed and one incident of a misidentified target (both very high profile and reported because there hadn't been ANY of either for several prior years). In that time we have had at least double the number of Home Invasions that made it to nightly news reports (not counting those that didn't).

Yes, it's true, no one wants to accidentally shoot their kids or their wife. I'm glad that it's very uncommon.

Because stabbing your spouse or crushing her skull with a hardwood club labeled "Louisville Slugger" is better?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I live in a low crime area, and homejackings and assault are not a big risk here.
It's true that accidents can still happen with traditional weapons, but they are much less dangerous to kids than guns. Knives and staff weapons do not discharge accidentally, and if I would feel the need to use that weapon, then there is at least no risk of killing my kids who are sleeping inthe next room.

Also, with my house being a 'typical' Belgian house, there are a lot of corners, doors, staircases and no large open spaces. A knife, or a short spear (say a hanbo with a short spear tip) or even a plain hanbo would be at least as dangerous / effective as a handgun.

In my case, having a gun readily accessible near my bed would be more dangerous than NOT having that gun ready. Make no mistake, we have our own share of dangers, but in-home assault is not often one of them if you are not a rich and juicy target.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I live in a low crime area, and homejackings and assault are not a big risk here.
So is my home. If I felt is was a high risk, I wouldn't live there. A lot of us like to think of it like Insurance. My home has a comparatively low risk of burning to the ground. But I still have Fire Insurance.

It's true that accidents can still happen with traditional weapons, but they are much less dangerous to kids than guns.
If that's the concern then you should know that Swimming Pools are VASTLY more likely to kill or seriously injure a child than firearms. No, I'm not joking. I can look up the stats for you if you'd like.

Knives and staff weapons do not discharge accidentally,
Neither do firearms. The chamber of the firearm has to be charged with a round and the trigger has to be squeezed. None of this happens due to an accident.

Some feel that it is a comparatively easy task for even a child to squeeze the trigger on a loaded firearm and this represents a danger. To be fair, I agree. In fact, most firearms owners (at least in the U.S.) agree. To address this issue, we take any number of a variety of precautions to prevent this. Some use an autoloader and set the safety or do not have a round in the chamber, believing that it takes more strength than a child has to "rack the slide" and charge the chamber with a live round (this is typically true). Some go as far as to eject the magazine from the pistol in order to make it more difficult for a child. There are any number of after market devices which make it difficult for a child to use the firearm ranging from "trigger locks" (which I think are stupid) to a sort of giant, extra strong, "rubber band" which clamps the hammer in place. Probably the most popular method is to deny access to unauthorized persons (such as children) by placing the home defense firearms in a bed side Safe. Most of these Safes have a "finger grove" or "quick button" set that will let the user open it by "typing" a proper combination on a series of four or five buttons on the face or side of the Safe. The combination is shared with authorized individuals but not children, etc.

and if I would feel the need to use that weapon, then there is at least no risk of killing my kids who are sleeping in the next room.
Over penetration through walls is a well known danger. I agree. It is one that every person who considers a firearm for home defense should give serious thought to.

Also, with my house being a 'typical' Belgian house, there are a lot of corners, doors, staircases and no large open spaces. A knife, or a short spear (say a hanbo with a short spear tip) or even a plain hanbo would be at least as dangerous / effective as a handgun.
I agree that at grappling range, a big ol' knife is at least as apt to cause serious, incapacitating, and potentially mortal wounds. Which is fine when the bad guy is within easy reach and didn't bring a gun himself.

It's a cardinal rule (and a hackneyed old saw), "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

In my case, having a gun readily accessible near my bed would be more dangerous than NOT having that gun ready.
If you do not take the proper steps in preparation, think ahead, and use common sense, then I agree that there are issues that could jump up and bite you in the butt. A firearm is still the most effective and efficient tool for personal self defense every created by man, even sans training. However, to optimize its use and minimize potential shortfalls and corollary dangers I WHOLLY recommend training and forethought before acquiring one, to say nothing of actually having to use it for self defense.

Would you just hand a Katana or a Bisento to someone and tell them, "here, this is for self defense."???

Firearms are both easier to learn and operate and more effective over a wider range but the principle is the same. Get training.

Make no mistake, we have our own share of dangers, but in-home assault is not often one of them if you are not a rich and juicy target.
The U.S. has several subcultures (both discrete and mixing together with each other) which see anyone who has something of value as "rich" or at least rich enough to steal from. Drug addicts seem to be responsible for a disproportionate number of Home Invasions, but they are hardly the sole perpetrators by any stretch. Maybe Belgium has a less violent culture or maybe you just haven't caught up yet. Whatever the case firearms are "Insurance."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
We generally do not have a violent culture. And for that I am grateful.

More importantly: we do not have a gun culture either. I am not going to argue for or against it, as that is not the purpose of this thread. It is illegal for people in Belgium (as in many other European countries) to store guns in a 'ready to go' conditions. All firearms have to be locked in a gun safe, with the ammo in a separate lockbox. All firearms also require a permit, and there are a ton of other restrictions as well.

Otoh, other weapons (with a handful highly specific exceptions) are just fine to have around. Having a bladed weapon within reach of the bed would be ok. Having a gun ready to go near the bed would be a felony, and cause all sorts of trouble if the cops ever found out.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guns, knives, clubs... fists. ANY weapon can be dangerous given the wrong (or right) circumstances. Years ago I was deep into some serious PTSD issues and was having a recurring nightmare night after night. On several occassions my (now ex) wife was forced to make a hasty retreat from the bedroom while yelling my name in an attempt to wake me. I, on those occassions, mistook her as a threat while semi-asleep. My weapons of choice were my hands/fists. Eventually, she wound up sleeping on the couch if she deemed my state of mind off just a bit at bedtime. My point? Restricting which weapons you allow yourself to have handy is forgetting the most basic of weapons, one that each of us as martial artists train the hardest... our hands.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

In the US approximately 100 children are killed every year in gun accidents.......1500 are killed every year in backyard swimming pools........so the risk of gun accidents is vastly inflated.

The risk of violent home invasion nationwide is far greater, though it is location specific.......however, fate favors the prepared.

Latest Discussions