Never done that before

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So far, at my school, we have officially used nunchaku, eskrima sticks, bo staff, knife, and sword as weapons. Unofficially, I've practiced the 3-section staff and lightsaber.

Today, we used a new weapon. One I hadn't used before. The belt.

My Master started showing us how to use the belt to wrap someone up. That was an interesting class.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
....the lightsaber !?
They have competitions for it. One of my friends 'trains' it, they have actual forms and everything. I tried learning from the place he was learning it, but not a fan of the people. He taught me seperately for about 6 months; kind of stage combat stuff. Think wushu but less acrobatic. Not my cup of tea.

D

Deleted member 39746

Its a belt basically just a worse Nunchuk? principles seem to be the same. or should be similar at least.

Oh wait, do you mean the grading belt type of belt and not a actual belt?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its a belt basically just a worse Nunchuk? principles seem to be the same. or should be similar at least.

A belt and a nunchuck are two entirely different things. And id rather learn how to use a belt, if for nothing else than im more likely to have one around.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ancient assassin technique.

bagger-carry-dog.jpg

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait till he starts showing you how to throw someone with it...

1:45 mark here:

Oh yeah, we were doing throws. But arm throws, not neck throws.

....the lightsaber !?

Bought some and brought them in for our demonstration team to play with. They were a huge hit.

It's more like a rope. You can smack people with it, but it's more useful for wrapping them up, to isolate or break limbs.

A belt and a nunchuck are two entirely different things. And id rather learn how to use a belt, if for nothing else than im more likely to have one around.

I'm more likely to have nunchucks.

Ancient assassin technique.

Our belts are WAY too thick for that.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My understanding a belt is more like a whip or a 9 section chain than it is a nunchuck

I think you can easily condense weapons into sticks, blades, and flails. Whips, chains, nunchaku, etc. all follow similar principles of movement.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can use your belt to develop your arm strength, grip strength, and MA technique at the same time. The easiest "strength training" equipment that you can carry with you no matter where you go.

Last edited:
OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can use your belt to develop your arm strength, grip strength, and MA technique at the same time. The easiest "strength training" equipment that you can carry with you no matter where you go.

Those look like an even worse version of the elastic bands they use for resistance training.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Those look like an even worse version of the elastic bands they use for resistance training.
those elastic bands are excellent for resistance training and cost significantly less than a bar set, though I use old inner tubes as they are free and you can't get better than free,
, belts are in fact better for some exercisces

, but I don't use a belt rather a nylon webbing dog lead , or some times a length of 1 tone breaking strain boating rope, as the extra bit if stretcheness helps

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the 80's in Korea, I watched a Guk Sool Won demonstration where they showed the use of belts, I don't recall now what in defense of. A TKD student of mine mentioned his teach once showing the defense of nunchaku using the belt. I was never taught that in the Hapkido I studied. Maybe just didn't get high enough.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you can easily condense weapons into sticks, blades, and flails. Whips, chains, nunchaku, etc. all follow similar principles of movement.
Which of these three categories do brass knuckles fall into? Or warhammers? Or the garrote?

Are axes swords and knives all 'blades'? Because they are handled completely differently.

Spears staves and Kali/Arnis stcks? There's a small amount of overlap as to how they handle. I guess.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which of these three categories do brass knuckles fall into? Or warhammers? Or the garrote?

Are axes swords and knives all 'blades'? Because they are handled completely differently.

Spears staves and Kali/Arnis stcks? There's a small amount of overlap as to how they handle. I guess.

• Brass knuckles - unarmed. (That's the skill Fist Weapons use in World of Warcraft, that's good enough for me).
  • Warhammers - sticks
  • Garrote - Flail
  • Axes - Sticks (based on how you use them)
  • Swords - Blades
  • Knives - Blades
  • Spears - Blades
  • Staves - Sticks
  • Kali/Arnis - Sticks (or blades if you're using knife techniques)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
  • Brass knuckles - unarmed. (That's the skill Fist Weapons use in World of Warcraft, that's good enough for me).
  • Warhammers - sticks
  • Garrote - Flail
  • Axes - Sticks (based on how you use them)
  • Swords - Blades
  • Knives - Blades
  • Spears - Blades
  • Staves - Sticks
  • Kali/Arnis - Sticks (or blades if you're using knife techniques)
So brass knuckles are not even a weapon, axes and warhammers handle like a stick and are sticks...

You know what, I honestly can't even give this a serious reply lol

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So brass knuckles are not even a weapon, axes and warhammers handle like a stick and are sticks...

You know what, I honestly can't even give this a serious reply lol

You would use the same type of strike for an axe or warhammer. It's like the difference between an open-hand block and a closed-fisted block.

You would use the same types of techniques with brass knuckles as if you were punching.

If you look at it from the perspective of what types of techniques you would use with it, they are very similar. Now, it's not perfect. There's obviously a difference between a dagger and a greatsword. But I'm just boiling down to as few categories as I can. You have weapons that use their weight, weapons that use their edge, and weapons that can bend.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You would use the same type of strike for an axe or warhammer. It's like the difference between an open-hand block and a closed-fisted block.

The weight on them makes both how to swing them and the strategy/tactics involved different. As a basic example, i cant do an umbrella block with an axe.

You would use the same types of techniques with brass knuckles as if you were punching.

Brass knuckles require a different hand position, and different strategies. There are also things you can do with them (block weapons), and things you cant (grab) to make it different from unarmed.

Its risky to create broad categories for weapons like that and try to force them into those categories, for two reasons. First is that any weapon you will conceivably have on you, you should be training with. Second is you shouldn't assume you know, or are capable of using or teaching, a weapon because you are capable of using another weapon in the same "group", which categorizing it like that would absolutely lead people to do.

Latest Discussions