Never Do a Headbutt!!!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right you are, it's a desperation move... as in all cases, you have to weigh the odds

Yes..Back against the wall protecting my firearm and if I get the oppertunity to but I'll do it..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If You want to make contact using the area about 1" above the scalp line (for most people). The skull is much thicker there, and the foreward tilt in your head will result in much less foreward movement/impact of your own brain against the inside of your skull.

That's how I was shown to do it many years ago,,,

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes..Back against the wall protecting my firearm and if I get the oppertunity to but I'll do it..

Absolutely—protecting a firearm is definitely a situation where not doing something, regardless of what it is, is going to be more dangerous than going ahead and doing it...

I guess the conclusion has to be, `Never headbutt except sometimes', eh?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The "Highlands Kiss" has always been in my bag of technqiues to use. Not all the times, certainly more than never any of the time. I was taught how to hit & line up the spine years ago & never had an issue if I did it "that way".

However I'm doubtful, unless the situation provided itself appropriately, I'll ever lead in with a headbutt.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It can be a very effective technique at the right moment and the right time. There is no doubt about that. Yet I agree with everyone else that I would rather protect my head as much as possible and not use it unless I have to. However if I have to..... well I would not want to be on the receiving end!
icon6.gif

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you can make a very similar argument for "never punch somebody" you can easily break a finger, sprain a wrist, tear up the muscles in your arm, shoulder and chest.

better advice would be "never do a headbutt wrong"

a well-placed upper scalp to a nose or eye ridge is a beautiful tool. a great sucker punch (as was mentioned). i often teach it in womens' self-defense for two reasons. one, womens' sd often happens at extreme close range. two, nobody expects a women to up and headbutt them.

as ceicei said, it's a 'tool for the toolbox' and not one i'd advise we lock away any time soon.
At least you can still see if cut your fist.
Sean

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
At least you can still see if cut your fist.
Sean

that's a good point, though that's rare with a properly done headbutt. you hit high enough up that bleeding into the eye isn't a concern. and you target spots that aren't likely to cut you in the first place.

as i said, we should be saying never do a headbutt wrong.

OP
flashlock

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
The propper way to head but, when you can is to thumb the eyes,grab the back of the persons head for strong control,then while keeping your head tucked in,drive through to the nose and jawline with the area right above your hairline ala Paul Vunak style :banghead:.

You know, my interest in this developed out of my training in the RAT system. How can I put this... um... I heard a rumour that a certain, uh, student of Dan Inosanto, ahem, knocked himself out in a bar doing one of his signature head butts in a barfight and had to be carried out on a stretcher.

That made me really question headbutts, and I ran across the article. I don't know if it's true, but if so, yeah, headbutt for last resort only!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, HOCK has share some valuable truths on using your HEAD. Most of the Doctors feel you should not do HEADBUTTS. (if you read his articles).

But like any of our other tools,hands,foot,knees, and others....they all can be damage if use wrong.

Hock...just hit his head wrong and got himself knock out. BUT it could have gone the other way...and he could have suceeded.

My son was grab from behind in school one day..bearhug..and he just headbutted backwards....the other boy let go really fast and the other boy face was hurting.

Just because things went wrong a few times(head butts) doesn't mean..DO NOT USE IT?

Head butts are one of the many tools we use for fighting. Yes the our heads are fragile ( most of us have our brain store in there).
=========================================================
NOTE: Some people have there heads else where? ...the term I going kick you in the "S"...meaning they want to kick your brains!
=========================================================

Should we NOT use the headbutts because of this incident? or just risk it?

So if our heads can get damage from a simple bumb....what does it mean in a fight where most people want to punch you at.(our heads).

Boxing has proven...too much hits to our heads...does cause long term damages.

My answer is....You will have to use your head on this decision, to use the headbutt or NOT to headbutt....that is question all of us...will most likely make on our own. (the right to use our heads?)

Will the size of our head will make a difference? Big head or small one? Can we leave our heads out of a fight? will a helmet help here?

We all seen many types of fighting where the HEAD is a tarket...many people have survive the blows. ..(off course some did not do as well).

Great topic here! Fore play or Fore head? which works better? ....Aloha

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Right you are, it's a desperation move... as in all cases, you have to weigh the odds. Given the serious risks (sure, you can break your fingers punching—one reason to prefer open-handed/knife-hand, hammer-fist or, especially, palm-heel strikes to hard targets—but there's a big difference between damaging your hand and damaging your brain in terms of aftermath, eh? I mean, they can't just put your brain in a splint :wink1:) you probably want to reserve headbutts for situations when not using one would be even worse...

That sums it up for me exactly!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What is the proper way to give a headbutt?

We are taught to use/move our body for the head to swing at the other person. (using the forehead parts) for front, and back side for rear headbutts.

The side of the head can be use. Since we only have one head and NO replacements....just make sure of your tarkets.

Some heads are nicer than others. Kept warm...will last a long time! ....Aloha

Latest Discussions