Need some ideas

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This little town I live in has NO martial arts schools, what are some ideas to obtain proper training?
Would taking to some ex-mma fighters be an acceptable route to try?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you willing to travel some? How far are you from Topeka? I looked it up and there's a handful of schools there.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
whats your zip code? There are plenty of schools/groups that just dont advertise for whatever reason. It's possible someone here knows someone in the area who teaches.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are you willing to travel some? How far are you from Topeka? I looked it up and there's a handful of schools there.

I'm 314 miles from Topeka, I don't know of anything within driving distance.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
whats your zip code? There are plenty of schools/groups that just dont advertise for whatever reason. It's possible someone here knows someone in the area who teaches.

I'm in Colby, KS (67701)

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh wow, that is far out there. I have nothing, sorry

Yeah, closest thing that I've found is over 100 miles away. Except an Aikido School, but I'm not impressed with its practical applications.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alternatively, you can always try to start up a class. I'm currently reading BryceSPQR's book on how to start a school/club/etc. and he lays out very clearly what you need to do. If you have 20 years of practicing, may be worth giving it a try.
BryceSPQR if you want to message him about it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, I'm not sure I would discount akido.

Second, don't forget boxing. Find out if the local high school has a wrestling team, meaning it has a wrestling coach.

Third, do other stuff like skipping rope and shadow boxing.

Fourth, get out of town.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Alternatively, you can always try to start up a class. I'm currently reading BryceSPQR's book on how to start one and he lays out very directly what you need to do. If you have 20 years of teaching, may be worth giving it a try.
BryceSPQR if you want to message him about it.

Honestly, I need to get anyone willing to come up here and help teach me so I can, but do it proper, where people aren't at risk. But when I get the training I would LOVE to start a school.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I need to get anyone willing to come up here and help teach me so I can, but do it proper, where people aren't at risk. But when I get the training I would LOVE to start a school.
I find it tough to believe that you've been practicing for 20 years and dont know enough to teach, at least enough to teach the basics while you attempt to continue your training. I've seen people with less years alive than your years of experience teach effectively.
Unless you mean training on how to properly teach, in which case attempting it is a good way to learn that. Just be upfront with your students and inform them that you don't have experience teaching your MA.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First, I'm not sure I would discount akido.

Second, don't forget boxing. Find out if the local high school has a wrestling team, meaning it has a wrestling coach.

Third, do other stuff like skipping rope and shadow boxing.

Fourth, get out of town.

I have a ton of respect for the art of Aikido, don't let my comment confuse you. But, in my experience, (what little I do have, bar fights, etc.) Aikido had limited practical application until higher Dans.
It's too difficult to use such fine motor skills when in the heat of the moment.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I find it tough to believe that you've been practicing for 20 years and dont know enough to teach, at least enough to teach the basics while you attempt to continue your training. I've seen people with less years alive than your years of experience teach effectively.
Unless you mean training on how to properly teach, in which case attempting it is a good way to learn that. Just be upfront with your students and inform them that you don't have experience teaching your MA.

Is a confidence thing. And I have taught a few people. I just don't have the confidence because I have next to no traditional training, and always assumed I needed that to start an actual school

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is a confidence thing.
Well, that's another thing that won't get fixed until you get experience doing it :) Try, be upfront, and be willing to fail and try again. Just make sure you don't permanently injure your students in the process.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, that's another thing that won't get fixed until you get experience doing it :) Try, be upfront, and be willing to fail and try again. Just make sure you don't permanently injure your students in the process.

This is true. Can't learn if I don't try I guess. Thanks for that!

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just looked for it on Google and found nothing about Goodland having anything.
MAP

If you click on the link I posted, it's taught inside of a community center. By just doing a search for martial arts schools in google maps you're not going to get everything.

If you're into BJJ you can start a Gracie Garage or a 10th Planet hot box.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I didn't see you had a link to it. I have the page open so I'm going to read up on it.

Latest Discussions