Need some help!

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I will be testing for my blue belt soon, and according to my instructor, at the blue belt level, the student must begin learning how to teach. And, to be honest with everyone(including myself), the whole teaching thing is kind of freaking me out. I really don't want to screw anything up(especially don't want to screw up with the kids in my class. That would just kill me.). So, I would like any tips, suggestions, advice, or whatever I need to know on being a good instructor.

Please help me!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are two key elements you're going to need: observation and patience.

Watch what people do, listen to how they speak, observe how they practice and how much, pay attention to how your teacher teaches and how s/he may or may not teach different people differently.

Remember that everyone has to start somewhere and that everything one does will mature over time to look better, be smoother, etcetera. You might have to show things different ways to get it through, or change your wording.

Never forget that you, too, are still a student and that you are 'sharing' what you know.

Be sure to check in with your teacher often to see how you're doing, ask him/her about difficult situations.

Good luck!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teaching can be scarry at first. The major key that I found was to relax and let it happen. Look for the major things that can be changed to help the student to do better but do not be over citical of anyone or any thing. If you try to correct all the mistakes you see you will never get past the first drill you do.
As has been said already listen to how your instructor leads class and mimic him for a while or one of the other Black Belts that the class respects. If you make mistakes (and you will) learn from them and go on learning and teaching
When you teach that first class be sure to let us know how it went

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would tend to agree with shesulsa and tshadowchaser - watch the instructors instruct, and see what works best, for which students, and then decide what works for you. Remember that no one lesson will wreck anyone - and you may have just the perspective someone else needs to learn a technique properly. When I have students teach, I change around which student teaches which rank/group, because different people teach different ways, and the explanation that works for one person won't necessarily be the best for another student.

Watch others teach, and then think about what works best for you when someone teaches you - and teach that way. Then ask the student(s) you are teaching what worked and what didn't. Also, don't try to change too many things at once. For example, if you are teaching side kick, and the student needs to correct their foot position, height, and body posture, don't try to change everything at once - pick one thing to work on, and then work on it. When that one thing has improved, then add another... then go back and work on the first thing again, because as soon as you change something, everything else goes right out the window!

The fact that you are so concerned demonstrates that you will be a good instructor - because people who are not worried about messing other people up are not concerned about the quality of their instruction. Keep your sense of humor, and enjoy!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to sound repetative, but the above answers are dead on. I was also a blue belt when I started. No one, especially your instructor is going to expect you to act like a master. Start slow and progress as you become comfortable. Initially, you'll probably just want to keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth closed. Watch and learn. We've all been there. You'll be fine. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well all I can say is the same as everybody else watch and copy.
terry

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you have passed through a "learning" phase so you can teach what you have been taught.
However it is not as simple as that, but when you get to your level you will start understanding the purpose of things and why you would teach or what you would hide from your students.
as long as you are sincere in teaching what you have been taught then you will be fine.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Keep a Journal of the things you are teaching.

Prepare for teaching the basics by writing a description of what you will be teaching. The description should include at least these two items steps(procedure) and description of where the body is in space(feet shoulder width apart, hands 4 to 6 inches away from your body, hands in cliinched punching position). Go ahead and add the things you did to help yourself do this item correctly.

Think through things at your speed and allow yourself to question yourself.

Do not be afraid to go to your instructor and ask for help, but don't use this as a first resort.

Hope this helps!!

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was leary of teaching as well. But now that I have half a dozen classes under my belt, I love it.

Just make sure you have a game plan for the class your going to teach.
Know what drills, tech, and ideas you will be going over in class.

Teach things that helped you open your eyes, or that helped you.

Have fun, it's your class :)

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
id say one of the main things you need is patiance. if your testing for your blue belt then you have been there for awhile and should know everything up to blue belt so you sould not have any problems im sure you will do fine. good job on testing for your blue belt by the way

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a dan, however I was a Sergeant in the Marine Corps and obtained Brown 2nd in Judo. I have taught beginner Judo and have led Marines in combat.

Teaching is a very scary and exciting thing to partake upon. Just relax, let it happen and look for guidance and reassurance from the dan ranking instructors.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Relaxing is definitely key as well as patience. Not everyone (even adults) will have the same mentallity, goals, focus. You have to figure out where people fall as you teach. At first I was nervous when I started to help, but the more exposure I had, the more comfortable I felt. I wish you luck on the test, and teaching!

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't agree with people forcing others to teach..You went to a martial arts school to learn martial arts..Not to teach. (We don't go to high school (or college) and the teacher turns around to the student and says "Ok..now start teaching the class" (Unless you go to college to specifically learn how to teach)
Teaching skills are an entirely different skill set than one of a student.

Yes I understand some of the arguements about teaching gives you a better understanding etc...(incidently it does but that is not the point)
Now rant off...It appears you have accepted the notion of teaching so I will try and help you with the original question..

Everyone who has answered has given very good advice.

in addition, Take whatever skill/technique you are trying to teach and break it down to its parts..
Then deliever it to the student in that order and way...Once they have a specific piece of what you are doing then add to it..
Don't be too scared, think of how they view you..

Teaching and watching students grow can be an incredibly rewarding venture..

I just don't like when it is forced on someone..

Good luck
Todd

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your instructor should offer some sort of "instructors clinics" to help students learn how to teach. These can be taught as a seperate class once a month or twice/month. These clinics can provide a consistent method of teaching among the assistants and consistency of the material being taught at the different ranks levels. Also, if your instructor doesn't have a written-out syllabus of requirements for each rank then you should recommend it to he/her.

R. McLain