Favoritism or just lack of help? Both?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shelley,

I'm in agreeance - Maybe give it another few weeks and see if things change. If not, address the problem with the instructor. You are paying for a service that you feel is not being rendered. In the end, this is still a business. If things don't change, you have every right to break your contract. From a Legal Standpoint, you can walk away right now. If he is not instructing you, then HE is in breach of contract and you have the right to separate yourself. I know that you don't want to do this, but he needs to know that substandard service results in a loss of $$. In today's economy, NO MA school can afford to lose students.
I'd be cautious about assuming that all the conditions for breach of contract are there. I'd bet that the contract doesn't specify personal instruction & correction -- but merely attendance at classes. I'd bet it's more like a gym contract; they don't guarantee results or that I'll be in there -- the gym's only obligation is to be there, barring emergenices or other situations beyond their control. Mere dissatisfaction is probably not enough for breach...

But don't rely on me; if you want to go that route -- ask a lawyer.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd be cautious about assuming that all the conditions for breach of contract are there. I'd bet that the contract doesn't specify personal instruction & correction -- but merely attendance at classes. I'd bet it's more like a gym contract; they don't guarantee results or that I'll be in there -- the gym's only obligation is to be there, barring emergenices or other situations beyond their control. Mere dissatisfaction is probably not enough for breach...

But don't rely on me; if you want to go that route -- ask a lawyer.

Very true, if he should take it to court, chances are that she would not win. But with contracts like this, either party breaking them is really non-enforceable. Neither party is going to put out the legal fees to collect. Unless the instructor employs a collection agency, there is little that he can do. Of course, I would never want to get into this situation...

Point is, if it comes to it, these contracts really don't hold much water. Chances are that it was an inhouse contract, never reviewed by a lawyer, etc. I'm making some assumptions, but I've also never seen a MA school that paid to have their contract reviewed by an attorney, made it a solid document or employ the proper protections to ensure that the contracts aren't broken.

Of course this is a separate discussion....I would see this as more of a bargaining chip. In a last ditch effort, worst case scenario, I'd use it....but then, I work with contracts every day, so I know how to get around them!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shelley,

I think when you get to the point where a grading might be coming up, it's perfectly OK to approach your teacher and ask for extra help. Extra help at your level might simply mean pairing you off with more experienced students while the instructor keeps an eye out.

In the past I've simply gone to my teacher and said that I may be eligible to grade in X months, that I feel I need to work on such-n-such. May I have some class time and seniors to achieve that? It's a reasonable respectful way of show that I'm taking responsibility for my learning.

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A huge part of Martial Arts is developing Self Esteem and Confidence. I suggest you practice it and approach your instructor before you get bitter, your training partner gets bitter, and you infect several other students with your bitterness.

Students are all different, some can do it faster, some at the pace, and others much slower, all a 3 year contract gets you is a piece of paper and a Belt, it does not give you a guarantee of any knowledge, or ability, and it does not help you do anything but feel stuck where you are.
If you are not happy, or not getting what you need, then you need to address it and find a better place to get what you want.

I do not know the quality of your school, but location does not make it a good school, it just makes it convenient, having students you like does not make it a good school, it just makes it friendly. I do not know your reasons for training, but if they are social then you sound like its probably a fine place for you, if its something else, then I suggest you look closely and think about it before continuing. If the quality was outstanding, I think you would have mentioned that, but that does not seem to be mentioned in your comments at all, thats telling.

As far as teaching preferences, or attention goes, I have seen many variations on this, and it could be any of many things. I could come up with dozens of reasons to ignore you in classes, or to focus solely on you in classes. Its impossible to guess, and speculate. I recommend talking to the instructor and going from there, I know If I was your instructor and came here and read this post, that is negative in context I would be pissed, Of course I recommend using a computer program that gives you alerts on each student in your school that directs you to ask questions, follow up, and have one on one time on a regular basis. That specifically nips this kind of stuff before it becomes a problem.

Its ok Im not normally a bitter person, and I wont let things get out of control before I speak up...Im pretty mouthy sometimes when I know things arent the way they should our could be. :)

In a way I agree with you about the 3 year contract and in a way I dont. MY philosophy is that it helps ME to push myself to my limits and sometimes beyond to achieve something that I have wanted for most of my life. I do agree that the 3 year contract is not for everyone but it was VERY appealing to me.

The quality of my school is excellent :) I did some research and have found nothing negative about how the school is run etc before I signed the contract. Location is a perk for me not a prerequisite. The students I like for many reasons. We have become friends and in class the senior belts are always there to help if I need some extra help and they arent busy doing their own curriculum. My reason for training...Ive been wanting to take TKD since I was 5 years old. I dont consider it a social reason ;)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
You sound pretty determined to make 1st Dan, what do you plan to do after when the contract is up?

Slow down and enjoy the art, it is not about ranks.

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You sound pretty determined to make 1st Dan, what do you plan to do after when the contract is up?

Slow down and enjoy the art, it is not about ranks.

Youre right I AM determined to make 1st Dan :) Ive been waiting 33 years to make 1st Dan, and when my contract is up I will probably still go to this Dojang and keep doing what I love doing there. :)

I dont feel as though Im rushing and I already enjoy the art, and never did I say it was just about rank ;) I dont think I even implied it.

Latest Discussions