Need Help With Korean Terminology

bankerrkt

White Belt
Reaction score
My Master asked how to say "Begin with respect and end with respect" in Korean. I have looked everywhere I can think of and have come up empty. Anybody have any ideas?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
The command to begin is "shijack."

The command to finish or end is "keuman."

Hope this is what you are looking!

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Just wondering, is the "with respect" understood there, or does that include "with respect", or is it simply begin and finish?

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Begin with respect and end with respect
존경으로 시작하고 존경으로 끝나십시오

I went to http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ to do the translation. It is worthwhile learning Hangul pronounciation as it allows you to get used to the various sounds of the language. Why they would want you to know this in Korean is beyond me, the basic moves I can understand but not phrases.

OP
bankerrkt

bankerrkt

White Belt
Reaction score

I appreciate your response and do understand those as the commands to begin and stop. I think he was looking for the entire phrase in Korean. I don't know that there is any particular reason for this exercise other than just to work more with the Korean language.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

This probably one of those deals where adding a few words together from an English/Korean language will not form a coherent sentence in Korean. I can't help myself, but I just suggest asking for help from someone who is fluent in Korean. It can't hurt to email a professor at a nearby university who might teach Korean or at least direct you to someone who would be happy to help.

OP
bankerrkt

bankerrkt

White Belt
Reaction score
I think you're probably right. The lady that does my wife's nails is Korean and I was going o go to her next. :)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Begin with respect and end with respect
존경으로 시작하고 존경으로 끝나십시오

I went to http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ to do the translation. It is worthwhile learning Hangul pronounciation as it allows you to get used to the various sounds of the language. Why they would want you to know this in Korean is beyond me, the basic moves I can understand but not phrases.

This is a literal translation of the phrase and about the best that I could do with it. I'm not sure exactly what your instructor is looking for, just like in English, there are many many ways to say the phrase. If he's looking for a literal translation of the phrase, that's it.

If the respect part is referring to honorifics, then the 십시오 ending is a more formal honorific and would be appropriate when addressing your instructor....although I have noticed many instructors insisting that their students use the 십니까, which is the equivalent of addressing the president of the country or something.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually,십니까 and 십시오 are both verb endings from the same form of Korean speech - the polite formal form. The first ending is used in questions (interrogative mode). The second is used in requests and commands (imperative mode).

The polite formal form of speech would be the most appropriate to use with any teacher, in martial arts or any other pursuit.

The honorific marker in both endings is the syllable 시.

Hope this helps...

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
not to hijack.. but when we "bow" to one another we normally say...

"Thank You sir" or "Thank You ma'am"

how does this equate in Korean, and is there something different you say to your instructor. we had a 3rd dan black belt helping judge testing this weekend, and he was saying something in korean instead of "Thank you Sir" but I couldn't make out what it was. He was student of our teacher, so I assume he learned it from him, but he's never told us any korean terminology.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually,십니까 and 십시오 are both verb endings from the same form of Korean speech - the polite formal form. The first ending is used in questions (interrogative mode). The second is used in requests and commands (imperative mode).

The polite formal form of speech would be the most appropriate to use with any teacher, in martial arts or any other pursuit.

The honorific marker in both endings is the syllable 시.

Hope this helps...

I've actually heard it said and read this as well, but in practice, I've heard it done differently. For example, annyong haseyo and annyong hashimnikka are two different forms of hello, one being rather common and the other being very formal. If you read in a Korean textbook or listen to tapes, you will hear them say that hasimnikka is a question for hello, but in practice, this is actually used as an extremely formal version of hello.

So I'm wondering where the distinction is between the question and the honorific? Or is this just a difference between proper grammer/textbooks and actual practice?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
not to hijack.. but when we "bow" to one another we normally say...

"Thank You sir" or "Thank You ma'am"

how does this equate in Korean, and is there something different you say to your instructor. we had a 3rd dan black belt helping judge testing this weekend, and he was saying something in korean instead of "Thank you Sir" but I couldn't make out what it was. He was student of our teacher, so I assume he learned it from him, but he's never told us any korean terminology.

Since this is a Korean terminology thread, it really isn't a hijack!

First off all, I have to say that a bow is not necessarily "thank you." Bows are used as signs of respect, they can be used as a greeting, as a thank you, or simply a sign of respect for something else. In Korea, you will see Koreans bowing fairly regularly, although not the deep formal bow that we tend to do in Martial Arts classes. Sometimes it is just a head bow, sometimes a slight bend. Usually when you walk into a store the shopkeeper will bow to you, when handing you your change, when saying goodbye, it totally depends on how they are feeling.

As for what the student said....it could have been anything. Anything from Annyeonghi kyeseyo 안영히 게세요 to Sugo hashesumnida 수고 하셨습니다. I think that a lot of Martial Arts students seem to think that there are only a handful of phrases in Korean and that everyone uses the same things for the same purposes. It just a full language just like English, except for the honorifics...which just mean that there are more ways to say the same thing. It could have even been a more formal version of thank you, such as komap sumnida 고맙습니다. Really the only way to know is to ask....Maybe he was just saying "Thanks dude, good workout."

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Since this is a Korean terminology thread, it really isn't a hijack!

First off all, I have to say that a bow is not necessarily "thank you." Bows are used as signs of respect, they can be used as a greeting, as a thank you, or simply a sign of respect for something else. In Korea, you will see Koreans bowing fairly regularly, although not the deep formal bow that we tend to do in Martial Arts classes. Sometimes it is just a head bow, sometimes a slight bend. Usually when you walk into a store the shopkeeper will bow to you, when handing you your change, when saying goodbye, it totally depends on how they are feeling.

As for what the student said....it could have been anything. Anything from Annyeonghi kyeseyo 안영히 게세요 to Sugo hashesumnida 수고 하셨습니다. I think that a lot of Martial Arts students seem to think that there are only a handful of phrases in Korean and that everyone uses the same things for the same purposes. It just a full language just like English, except for the honorifics...which just mean that there are more ways to say the same thing. It could have even been a more formal version of thank you, such as komap sumnida 고맙습니다. Really the only way to know is to ask....Maybe he was just saying "Thanks dude, good workout."

komap sumnida ---- 99% positive this was it.

is it pronounced... Koh-map soom-ni-dah?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kam-sa-ham-nida
It is Korean for "Thank You".

Remember that there are several levels of honorific in Korean, therefore, you are correct that 감사 합니다 is ONE WAY to say "Thank you" in Korean, but not the only way. 고맙습니다 is the slightly higher level of respect. There is also Chongmai kamsamnida; Dearly thank you (very seldom used except to show extreme appreciation); and 고마워 komawo, which is a familiar version of thank you. And that isn't getting into the conjugations of the verb to thank, or the more slang ways to say just Thanks.

So right there, increasing levels of respect for basic thank yous, we have:
고마워 - komawo
감사 합니다 - kamsahamnida (also pronounced "gamsamnida" as you travel further south. The kam-sa-hamnida is more of a Seoul thing)
고맙습니다 - komapsumnida