Korean terminology in your class

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm interested to find out, how much emphasis is placed on the Korean terminology in your class and how much you have to know to grade.

In our class, the instructor only gives us the Korean if you ask, but gives us revision sheets to learn from, personally I'd prefer more terminology in class, but before I mention it, I'd like to get others viewpoints.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Counting, sparring drill commands. That is the big stuff. Little tidbits here and there as well. We are recommended to know it, however that is about it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Counting, pattern names, basic commands, names of some techniques (mostly kicks) - I'm still learning, so I don't always remember to use them myself... and that 16 year-old 8th gup from Korea in my class makes me self-conscious when I'm not sure of my pronunciation... but at least he's learned not to yell corrections at me or my assistant instructor... I don't mind them during class, but I can do without that openly laughed at by a teenager!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Counting, pattern names, basic commands, names of some techniques (mostly kicks) - I'm still learning, so I don't always remember to use them myself... and that 16 year-old 8th gup from Korea in my class makes me self-conscious when I'm not sure of my pronunciation... but at least he's learned not to yell corrections at me or my assistant instructor... I don't mind them during class, but I can do without that openly laughed at by a teenager!

Oh my!:)

I use a bare minimum of Korean in my class. (Counting, poomsae names, etc). I'm adding them in slowly. I do think it adds to the TKD experience to know a few things in Korean.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just basic counting and kicks and blocks. Trying to learn the language

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Counting 1 to 100, names of all forms in Korean, names of all required blocks at each belt level (blocking portion of the black belt test is all in Korean), all basic kicks, punches and stances. Additional terms at higher belts (names of cornerbars in the Korean flag, opening/closing ceremony in Korean, etc.)

Korean terminology and philosophy is a required section of the black belt test.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
To test for orange belt there is a list of about thirty words as well how to count and the (AIMS) we teach. We use all of them in class and we will use other words when needed in class. The terminology is part of the art don't you think?:) ! All the best in the arts

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, good bye, thank you, how to count and all required terminology for a referee. I, myself, speak, read and write some Hangul, but! I don't require if from my students. We don't even have a Korean flag hanging in our Dojangs (gasp!). We are Americans and we speak American, not English, but American. Trust me, there is a difference. We use the Korean terminology only because to referee at any USAT event you need to know it. Every thing else we drop.,

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
We are Americans and we speak American, not English, but American. Trust me, there is a difference.

Wow, normally us Brits seem to be saying that but you don't often hear it from our American cousins :)

I actually have an interest in learning Korean language (but find it incredibly tough to remember vocab), but in our class it's the same as most people, counting, poomsae, some movements and basic commands (e.g., kick names, turn around, begin, etc).

On this topic. Can anyone give me the correct Korean (ideally written in Hangul so I don't make a reverse romanisation pronunciation error) for:

* Change feet (i.e. switch left stance to right stance)
* In your own time (my instructor has always said haryopche, but I'm not sure of the Hangul or if it literally means "in your own time" as opposed to by the instructor counting each step of the poomsae).

Thanks,

Andy

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I never learned much correct Korean for my first 9 years in Taekwondo. The ATA taught basic counting to ten, and some class commands, but virtually no techniques and most was mispronounced.

Then I began training with Koreans (around 1985) and learned a lot of terminology, and everyday phrases.

I start my students at white belt with only a few phrases and classroom commands. In the low ranks, I begin using more during class, and require them for testing knowledge (names of all stances, all blocks, all hand strikes, all kicks, and every part of training procedures, plus counting to one million - or higher). With my advanced students, especially black belts, I will often teach the entire class in all Korean terms with no English (American).

I find it enjoyable to learn, and it enhances the students experience for studying a "Korean Martial Art!" History, culture, clothing, social experiences, language, are all part of the education in my opinion. If left out, you students won't have it when they become instructors, and you might as well be teaching "American Kick/Punch class."

I find it helpful when I referee events, especially international events where not everyone speaks English, but they should know Korean commands. It made it fun and easier when I taught students in Korea, many of whom only spoke Korean, and when they came to visit America, I could help translate for them and communicate with them a little better (also easier to order food at a Korean restaurant!).

On this topic. Can anyone give me the correct Korean (ideally written in Hangul so I don't make a reverse romanisation pronunciation error) for:

* Change feet (i.e. switch left stance to right stance)
* In your own time (my instructor has always said haryopche, but I'm not sure of the Hangul or if it literally means "in your own time" as opposed to by the instructor counting each step of the poomsae).

Change feet:

&#48156; &#48148;&#44984; = "bal ba kku" (bal bakku) - To "change feet," or "switch feet."

In your own time: I am not sure about this one. Perhaps someone else can help here. In your instructor's words "haryopche" - - "che" might actually be "je" which means "your" like "your time." I don't know what the "haryop" part is. Perhaps you could ask your instructor to write it in Korean hangeul. Then share that with us and see if we can figure it out.

Here are some of my guesses as to a possible term for this: I might be wrong on the proper usage here.

&#45320;&#51032; &#49464;&#45796; = "neo wi se da" - your count (pronounced: naw wee say dah)

&#47924; &#49464;&#45796; = "mu se da" - no count (meaning no instructor's count - do it at your own count)

&#45320;&#51032; &#44152;&#51020; = "neo wi keol eum" - your pace

&#49884;&#44036; = "shi gan" - means "time"

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't even have a Korean flag hanging in our Dojangs (gasp!).

Me neither... I asked my sahbum about that one time - and he said, pretty much "we're American - why would we need a Korean flag?"

Also as you said - the Korean we learn is intended to help students who attend events in other countries, to provide a very basic common ground - we had a large group of students come to one of our events from Puerto Rico, and most only spoke Spanish, and most of us didn't - having the Korean in common really helped all of us to keep the tournament moving.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I
I find it enjoyable to learn, and it enhances the students experience for studying a "Korean Martial Art!" History, culture, clothing, social experiences, language, are all part of the education in my opinion. If left out, you students won't have it when they become instructors, and you might as well be teaching "American Kick/Punch class."

CM D.J. Eisenhart

I agree completely sir!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I myselffind it interesting in over twenty years, I never tought about it and then over the last year it has become a passion to learn, maybe it is like fine wine we must sit in a dark closet for twenty year before it is time to open the mind towards new adventures.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to single you out, Bret, but no. I don't think the Korean language has anything at all to do with the art.

Not to single you out either, Adept! :)

It has nothing at all to do with the fighting; it has everything to do with the Art! - - In my opinion. :asian:

Last Fearner

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually Terry, you kinda sound like a mushroom. Sorry.........:) I mean, 20 years in the dark.

Damn, I know that was wrong but I just couldn't resist.

OP
Shaderon

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually Terry, you kinda sound like a mushroom. Sorry.........:) I mean, 20 years in the dark.

Damn, I know that was wrong but I just couldn't resist.
:lfao:

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is more and more looking like it's not many of us that Korean terminology is required of to grade?

Here I am with sheets and sheets of the stuff trying to ram it all into my little brain ready for grading next month and I'm starting to feel picked on by my club ;) Oh well, it's interesting stuff and sounds flashy anyway...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lfao:

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is more and more looking like it's not many of us that Korean terminology is required of to grade?

Here I am with sheets and sheets of the stuff trying to ram it all into my little brain ready for grading next month and I'm starting to feel picked on by my club ;) Oh well, it's interesting stuff and sounds flashy anyway...

I do think it's important, but I have/had many kids in my class that were just learning English (& English isn't spoken at home). So, I didn't want to add to their burden or put a road block in front of them. Funny thing is, I also had a kid who's folks were born in Korea & IT was spoken in the home. When it came to couting to 10 for his test, his pronounication was perfect.....but he blanked when he hit 6. The kid next to him (whose folks were born in Mexico) counted to Yol without missing a beat.

I'm adding Hangul slowly. Heck, some of the kids ask me, "How do you say this in Korean?" Luckily, there is a Korean gentlemen who boxes at our facility who is very kind & helps me.

Latest Discussions