Need help! (Pricing)

G

gamemastyr

I was wondering if anyone could help me out of what would be an average and/or good price for lessons per month and for private lessons.

Thanks for any help.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

That would probably depend on where you are located, and what the market bares in your area. It also depends on the facility, the style, and the instructor.

OP
V

vincefuess

It varies GREATLY from school to school and place to place. Average schools in the Dallas/ Ft Worth area are about $75 to $100 a month for regular classes.

A friend in California pays $225 a month.

There's a Hapkido school in Dallas that charges $250 a month.

I teach in my garage for $20 a week- mostly neighbor kids.

OP
G

gamemastyr

My school wanted me to sign a contract for 2 years for 3100 dollars and I was worried that was overly expensive. I guess it's probably just a little above average. Thanks for the help.

OP
B

Bob

Originally posted by gamemastyr
My school wanted me to sign a contract for 2 years for 3100 dollars and I was worried that was overly expensive. I guess it's probably just a little above average. Thanks for the help.

129 bucks a month seems reasonable, but how many classes are you allowed to attend and how long are the classes?? Also, are there loopholes to get you out of that contract?????
when I started training back in 1989, I was on a month to month contracted, and when I figured out how many classes I was able to attend and the duration of the classes, it worked out to be less then .50 cents an hour for training......
Just my two cents, I hope it helps........

Bob

OP
R

Rob_Broad

A word to the wise. Never sign a contract in your first year of training. It is too easy for it to become a burden. You might find out the school is not for you. The style might not be what you are looking for. If it is a quality reputable school they will understand you not wanting to sign a contract too soon.

OP
K

Kirk

2 years is a bit much if you ask me. A lot of things can change
in 2 years. What if you move to the other side of town? Where
I live that can give you an hour's commute to and from the
school. Worse case scenario, you come down with something
that will keep you from training for months on end.

At my school, after a week's free training, you can sign up for
6 months, recurring. Meaning it's a minimum of 6 months, if
you still like it, then do nothing, they'll still bill your credit card,
or draft from your account. Leaving requires 2 months advanced
notice, so if you don't like it, then say so in 4 months. Worse
case scenario here, you pay for 2 months you're not gonna
use.

OP
V

vincefuess

Yes- the subject of contracts is daunting. Contracts protect the school and secure their future financially- but like Rob said, you should not be pressured to sign a contract right off the bat. The school or the art may not be for you, and it may take you a while to determine that.

Also, if you choose to sign a long term contract you should be offered a SUBSTANTIAL discount from regular fees, since you are cementing a commitment to the school. If you are not offered a discount for offering this type of commitment, tell them to kiss your *** and leave. Contracts are the Holy Grail of the school owner, and you should be given some sort of gift for this level of commitment. Also, make sure there is a way to back out- because you never know what can happen down the road. A penalty fee is fair- just make sure you are not bound to pay the whole thing out if something happens and you no longer train there.

OP
G

GouRonin

I'll beat the crap out of you in my garage for 10 bucks a month.
Beat that deal!:rofl:

OP
G

gamemastyr

But it includes about 12 hours of personal one-on-one training, about 8-10 hours of class time and 4 hours of weapons training per month.

The problem if I've stated that I don't want to sign the contract already and they're being pretty pushy... I told them I didn't have the money and instead all they did was suggest different ways to get the money. I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Gamemastyr

Look above the school, is there "Golden Arches?" I would start looking for a different school. People pushing that hard usually don't have a good percentage of high ranking students.

OP
V

vincefuess

That's bad. I've been there. If your money is their focus from the get-go, it will be their focus from now on. Is that what you want in training? How can you accept training of "a higher level" from someone like that? This is a sore subject with me. You go to a place to learn how to keep people from taking your wallet, and THEY take your wallet. That is wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

PFFFTT! PSSSFFFSSSTTTT!! Bad taste in mouth.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by gamemastyr
But it includes about 12 hours of personal one-on-one training, about 8-10 hours of class time and 4 hours of weapons training per month.

That adds up to about 24 hrs./month if I'm following you. That's about 5-6 hours per week. I have been paying $22/month for over 7 hrs./week of Tai Chi. No personalized instruction of course, but even still, 6 hours per week isn't that impressive an amount of time. I am somewhat suspicious of the fact that you will be afforded approximately 3 hrs./week of personal one-on-one training; if the instructor has 20 students with such a deal then he or she must be spending 60 hrs./week on personal one-on-one training of students. Unless of course the personal one-on-one training is conducted by lower-ranking instrcutors or students.

Does the contract include gym priveleges (exercise equipment) or such? If not it seems on the high side unless you live in an especially high-cost area.

The problem if I've stated that I don't want to sign the contract already and they're being pretty pushy... I told them I didn't have the money and instead all they did was suggest different ways to get the money. I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

You aren't actually getting ripped off until you sign the contract. Then it seems quite clear to me from what you have said that you will indeed soon be poorer but wiser.

Could you identify the art and the area in which you live (not necessarily the school)? If you're getting personal training in kickboxing then the price might be OK, but even still a two year contract is hard to defend. They know many people will drop out--much as a gym does--and are using that fact.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Here is a simple rule of business for everyone. 90% of all students quit in the forst 90 days. That is why schools want you to sign a contract, they know the odds are that they won't have to teach you for long and you will still be paying them.

Another rule to keep inmind is 90% of all students train in 10% of the schools, do youwant to be just another student on the roster or someone they care for. Just because a school has the most students doesn't make it the best. They just might have the best marketing program out there. Do your research and see what the students of different schools think of their school and others. also listen to what the staff say about the their school and other schools. You can learn a lot from these observations. A 2 yr contract seems very excessive, I would love to know how many students they have compared to other schools in the area.

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Well, my school has a 6 month minimum. That's really not bad, because students tend not to quit until 8 months. Those that stay after 8 tend to make it to black belt. It costs $75 a month, $40 for testing. Testing occurs every other month (we use a "High" color between belts). We can opt out of testing if we wish, but at the very least we test every 4 months. When we get to red, we tend to wait 6 months, another six for high red, and then another 6 for deputy. Black belt usually comes 6 months or more after that.

OP
G

gamemastyr

I went in there and held my ground. I told him I didn't want to sign the contract until I had previously paid off the first 6 months that I had agreed to in the beginning. He stated that I was the "first person" to ever refuse to pay and that I can't move on past the orange belt until I pay for the two years. I told him that I would consider that once I finished my first contract (6 months) and after about 20 minutes of me refusing suggestions he told me to get back to him in 5 months when my current contract ends. :)
The only problem now is that I have a fear that he isn't going to teach me well... but oh well... I have to deal with that or the two year contract.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Gamemastyr

Find a new school. Your money seems to be more important to the instructor that you are.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
Find a new school. Your money seems to be more important to the instructor that you are.

I agree: Either your money or his rules are very important to him. You might want to consider if another school might be a better fit. Look at the martial arts experience thread; few people other than Mr. Hartman are still with the very first art they studied.

Congratulations on standing your ground with him! That's great.

OP
J

Jim M

I wonder why is is so insistent on getting a 2 year contract. It sounds as if something is fishy and the instructor is worried that you will find out so he wants you locked in to 2 years ASAP. I know that long contracts help the school out but the amount of pressure that is being brought to bear seems unusual. I's be looking for another studio ASAP. The studio would have to have Ed Parker, Bruce Lee, and Remy Presas as instructors for me to want to go there.

Jim