Jiu jitsu

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I've been doing my kickboxing and karate for a while but I feel like trying out some jiu jitsu just to say I've tried at the very least.

I've got 2 options. One is a Gracie Barra academy which is a respected place with classes 7 days a week in gi, no gi and mma. The prices are £40 a month unlimited classes or £7 a lesson. The gis are pricey though at £85

The other is a place called Brazilian power team. They're a smaller club and also has mma but only gi grappling and only 2 nights a week and they're prices are £35 a month or 5 a lesson.

What do people think is the best option based on those facts and the names. I do know that the best thing would be to check out a class of each but just thought I'd see what people think.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Based on the facts here the Gracie Barra seems best. But as you say depends on the instructor. Also if money is no object then gracie Barra sounds better but if your cash is short the Brazilian place would be better as I'm sure it's still a good gym.

I train at a Gracie Barra and sounds pretty much like yours. Yeah the gi is quite expensive but it's a 1 off purchase really and it'll last a very long time.

Good luck

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's hard not to recommend a Gracie Barra school if you can afford it.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I recommend trying out classes at both places, and asking some good questions while you are there. Gracie Barra has a planned curriculum based around solid fundamentals which is good. However, the focus is going to be primarily competition, even though the Fundamentals program does take self-defense into consideration. The problem is that most GB instructors just don't have that background, unless you are training with someone like Draculino, or another person who studied directly with Carlos Gracie Jr. .

Here is a link to Gracie Barra's fundamentals curriculum: Fundamentals 2.0: New Self-Defense Curriculum Goes Live this Week | Gracie Barra San Clemente

Here is a good video from the Gracie Academy on what to look for in a Jiu-Jitsu school:

Good luck, and happy training!

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Your best bet it really to try both to see which instructor you like more/which place gives you the best vibes. You also have to consider if this is just along with your karate & kickboxing instruction or in place or it. Maybe two times a week is all you're looking at devoting to BJJ? If so, then why pay more for unlimited classes? Although I wouldn't see an extra 5 breaking the bank.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your best bet it really to try both to see which instructor you like more/which place gives you the best vibes. You also have to consider if this is just along with your karate & kickboxing instruction or in place or it. Maybe two times a week is all you're looking at devoting to BJJ? If so, then why pay more for unlimited classes? Although I wouldn't see an extra 5 breaking the bank.
Tbh even if he did 2 classes a week that'd be worth the 40 as generally 4 weeks in a month and 2 classes a week be £14 so 14 times 4 is 56 so that's a very good deal just for 2 sessions you'd pay 16 pounds less on the monthly.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recommend trying out classes at both places, and asking some good questions while you are there. Gracie Barra has a planned curriculum based around solid fundamentals which is good. However, the focus is going to be primarily competition, even though the Fundamentals program does take self-defense into consideration. The problem is that most GB instructors just don't have that background, unless you are training with someone like Draculino, or another person who studied directly with Carlos Gracie Jr. .

Here is a link to Gracie Barra's fundamentals curriculum: Fundamentals 2.0: New Self-Defense Curriculum Goes Live this Week | Gracie Barra San Clemente

Here is a good video from the Gracie Academy on what to look for in a Jiu-Jitsu school:

Good luck, and happy training!
The good thing about the Gracie Barra I train with is the head instructor is a black belt under burila estima and has striking experience as he runs an mma class as well and trains world champion kickboxers and 2 guys at the club are actually on the UK national team and he's an experienced kickboxing and boxing referee as well so he's not just jiu jitsu

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
The good thing about the Gracie Barra I train with is the head instructor is a black belt under burila estima and has striking experience as he runs an mma class as well and trains world champion kickboxers and 2 guys at the club are actually on the UK national team and he's an experienced kickboxing and boxing referee as well so he's not just jiu jitsu

Yep, there are definitely places like that. At the location I used to train at, the BJJ instructor was strictly that, with a pure competition focus. They did have a legit MT instructor as well, so there was solid striking training available if you wanted it. My only issue there was the fact that the self-defense material was pretty well glossed over because of the focus of the instructor.

The training was good though, and they teach solid BJJ, particularly in the Fundamentals Curriculum.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you have a link to Brazilian power team?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Gracie Barra isn't necessarily any better than other schools. It's an affiliation that guys pay to join. It's like a franchise. Most are great, don't get me wrong. But non GB schools are also great.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gracie Barra isn't necessarily any better than other schools. It's an affiliation that guys pay to join. It's like a franchise. Most are great, don't get me wrong. But non GB schools are also great.
Agreed just because it has the Gracie name doesn't make it automatically good. I joined Gracie Barra not because of the name but simply because it was my nearest. Personally I'm not that fond of the Gracie's from everything I've seen from them but I still like the art

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Agreed just because it has the Gracie name doesn't make it automatically good. I joined Gracie Barra not because of the name but simply because it was my nearest. Personally I'm not that fond of the Gracie's from everything I've seen from them but I still like the art
I don't want to give the wrong impression. GB schools are often very good. But they just have different levels of affiliation, and it's all pay to play. And a lot of really strong instructors are not GB. There are other top notch affiliations and many good independent instructors.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

It really comes down to what you are looking for. If you are simply looking to train in positive environment with a structured curriculum, they can be great. With GB, you aren't going to get a bunch of MMA wannbe's or gangster-rap playing, and you know they will be open when they say they are, start and end on time, and do what they say they will do. They also have a nice kids program. Plus, if you travel, there are a ton of locations that you can do a drop in for free without too much worry.

Having said that, you can find all of those things at non-GB schools as well, depending on where you live. I trained at a GB program for about 6 months, and enjoyed my time there. I'm somewhere else now, and enjoying that as well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It really comes down to what you are looking for. If you are simply looking to train in positive environment with a structured curriculum, they can be great. With GB, you aren't going to get a bunch of MMA wannbe's or gangster-rap playing, and you know they will be open when they say they are, start and end on time, and do what they say they will do. They also have a nice kids program. Plus, if you travel, there are a ton of locations that you can do a drop in for free without too much worry.

Having said that, you can find all of those things at non-GB schools as well, depending on where you live. I trained at a GB program for about 6 months, and enjoyed my time there. I'm somewhere else now, and enjoying that as well.
That's just what I'm saying, although my understanding is that GB has different affiliate levels. Some guys have the logo but don't teach the GB curriculum. I might be wrong.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's just what I'm saying, although my understanding is that GB has different affiliate levels. Some guys have the logo but don't teach the GB curriculum. I might be wrong.

I'm pretty sure they all are required to teach the curriculum, though instructors are free to add in some things, as well as variations of moves, as well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they all are required to teach the curriculum, though instructors are free to add in some things, as well as variations of moves, as well.
Didn't used to be that way, at least. Affiliate schools were, I think, different from the "official" schools.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't used to be that way, at least. Affiliate schools were, I think, different from the "official" schools.

I've never trained in a GB but I remember reading about that some time ago... the affiliate schools used to be just that but then corporate started putting a lot of additional expectations in order for them to be affiliated.

Latest Discussions