The average number of lessons per week?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering how many classes per week is average? I have a group lesson twice a week at 1 - 1 1/2 hours each. I do practice at home as well. Is this the norm? As your skill increases do you see a need for more frequent instruction?

Thanks!

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
My first few years of training were the most intense, probably 3 times a week in class and three to five hours outside of class. I think it's important to jump in with both feet. Make sure to continue your practice outside of class. If you don't have some sort of bag or dummy for strike work, you may want to consider getting one. I put a lot of miles on my BOB from Century in those days.

Due to circumstances beyond my control (work, family, commute) I don't train as much now, but it seems I can do less and retain more--basically because I put in the time to learn the basics well.

Edit: As you become a better student of the arts, you appreciate instruction just as much, especially in the nuances, but you also make your own discoveries--so you become your own instructor to a degree.

E

edhead2000

My studio has classes once a week for 1-1/2 hours. Also, the studio is open and the instructor and quite a few black belts are available on Sunday afternoon (usually 1:30 - 4:00). So I train anywhere from 1 - 3 hours on Sunday as well, but there aren't "formal" classes.

So twice a week and practicing at home.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The replies so far are pretty varied. Does that mean there is no average and it's just whatever the instructor you choose determines as far as frequency of training?

psi_radar - I can see the point about needing more instruction earlier on as opposed to being more experienced. I do practice at home almost daily but have found upon returning to class that I was practicing some of the forms incorrectly.

That's because I was using notes to help me remember the sequence and I interpreted some of the techniques wrong. Actually I do have it down correctly now. I can practice control moves with my son (and my daughter lets me practice on her too...not to mention dragging my husband off the couch to try something one more time when I return from class in the evening, hehe) and I remember those pretty easy since they are very basic at this point in my training and also because I'm doing the same techniques in my form practice.

I know there is no right or wrong as far as this goes just curious as to how much formal, in class, training most MA's get per week.

edhead2000 - How long have you been training and do you feel you are progressing well at that amount per week?

Tess - 5 nights a week?! I'm jealous and you do need a vacation! LOL
:asian:

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're lucky you can convince your husband and family to Uke for you--my wife flatly refuses! :idunno:

My instructor once told me 2 lessons per week is pretty much the bare minimum for a beginning student, which sounds about right to me. All this is sort of subjective, though. Some people just have more natural aptitude and need to train less, or more desire and opportunity to learn. The "right" amount of time is the amount of time that you can, are willing to, and enjoy committing. At points, there are even times when no training is beneficial. I was so burned out after my black belt test that I happily took four months off from Kenpo. When I came back, I felt invigorated, psyched, and full of new ideas.

How's that for a non-answer! :)

B

Black Bear

I'd say 2 nights is average. I do 1 right now, 2 hours per night. At my peak I was doing 4 nights a week. That was over a summer in uni, when we were hoping to get really good really fast.

The instructors themselves typically do 4-5 nights a week themselves, sometimes weekends too, so...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My class is twice a week, with an optional weekend class (I usually go to the weekend class). I do have a private lesson once a week.

Basically, I'm training four times a week, an hour each time, doing martial arts. I also put in an hour a day doing outside workouts (weightlifting and running - 4 to 5 hours a week), plus some at-home practice whenever possible.

- Ceicei

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think there is no true average it depends on the instructor. I do (as a student) 7 classes a week, but I also work at the school, so it makes it convienent. Some students are only able to do 1 or 2. Its about what you make each class. Do what you can and make the best of each class.

7sm

S

ShaolinWolf

I have class about 4-8 times a week and soon I'll be having more than that when I become a trainee instructor...

Right now, I go Monday Nights, Tuesday afternoons, sometimes Tuesday Nights, Wednesday Nights, Thursday afternoons and evenings, Friday evenings sometimes, and Saturday Afternoons.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We teach the kids class Mon, Wed and Fridays from 7-8 p.m. Adults -Mon thru Friday 8-9:30 P.M. Seig and I also teach AK classes at Shepherd College Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8:00 P.M. so it's a full plate :D

If and when we get the time for a vacation.. I'll be so there *G*

E

edhead2000

Sil Lum TigerLady said:
edhead2000 - How long have you been training and do you feel you are progressing well at that amount per week?
Training not yet 2 months now -- I'm a newbie.

I feel I'm progressing well. The main reason for this is that I either get personal instruction or instruction with less than 3 other people. I'm not sure if this is typical, but I enjoy the small group that I'm in.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of the schools I have been in, including the studio I call my "home studio", the beginners train 3 times per week and the advanced students train two nights per week. Everyone has the option of going to an open work on what you want class on Saturdays. I always wondered why it was that the advanced students got less time.........now I wish I could train more than two nights per week but at my "home away from home studio" we only have Tues/Thurs classes and nothing on Saturdays so if I want to train any more than two days a week, I'm on my own!!

:asian: :karate:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
5 nights a week
3 nights teaching 2 nights learning and practiceing forms
weekends varry sometimes yes sometimes no (I work every other weekend and my amily still enjoys my company sometimes)

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor runs 2 Kung Fu classes a week, but I am at the stage now where I could do with more training time! But I do as much practice at home, and I try to keep as fit as I can by going to the gym. I work on my forms, balance, stances and strikes. In fact I literally can't stand still, I just feel the urge to do some kicks or punches and I will practice anywhere I can, even at work. I don't work myself nearly as hard as my instructor does so thats why its good to have someone to motivate me, because he can push you that bit further.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The studio that I'm in now runs four, one hour classes each week. Two, one hour classes on monday and the same on wednesday. You can stay for as many of the four as you have time to. I'd agree with those that say that they as they progress that they get as much from less time.

B

buddah_belly

Five classes per week. Two hours per class. Plus the stuff I work on at home.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those of you that have more than two classes a week - are you paying extra for those classes or is that included as part of your regular monthly dues?

The school I go to is not open everyday. I live in a rural area and the instructor has a few schools within a 1-2 hour radius of each other so he is at different locations at different times for classes in that area.

My son is in the kids class in our area from 6:30 - 7:30 on Tues and Thurs. and then I go to the adult class on the same nights from 7:30 - 8:30/9:00. I do practice alot on my own as well as additional excercise for 1 hour 5-6 days a week to develop my cardio health as well as muscle tone. I have found that in itself helps me in class with stamina, balance, and strength.

Overall at this point I feel I'm progressing and learning with the number of formal classes I have each week. I pay $75 a month for both my son and myself to take classes twice a week. I suppose I could pay for additional private lessons in between group lessons but can't afford it right now.

So, is that pretty much what those of you who have more instruction each week (other than being an instructor yourself) are doing (paying for extra classes)?

I really appreciate all the replies on this. It's very interesting to see the different ways we train. Obviously the more instruction you get the more likely you are to progress quicker.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine is included. The way our classes are structured, as the student proceeds through the class seperations (intro, beginner, intermediate, and advanced) their class times get longer and they have more classes available to them. There are some calsses you can pay extra for and get in on some weapons training as a beginner, but its all stuff you will get to eventually anyway.

One thing I must add, as the student progresses they do upgrade a couple of times, so their dues increase a bit, not very much though.

7sm

Latest Discussions