Need advice on how to be more aggressive when sparring

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't do anything. I just get in the ring, put up my dukes, and rock and roll. I don't even think, really; just on auto-pilot.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't do anything. I just get in the ring, put up my dukes, and rock and roll. I don't even think, really; just on auto-pilot.

Don't the Japanese have a word for this? "No Mind"? That was Musashi who advocated fighting with no-mind, wasn't it? If I recall correctly, he goes into detail on why that is a GOOD thing in combat.

So it sounds like you are on the right track, Bill :)

But then, I found it useful during TRAINING to at times have a specific goal (lets say, landing side kicks) during a free sparring sessions. I think training with specific goals and having thoughts related to achieving that goal during a session results in a productive session — especially at beginning levels.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't the Japanese have a word for this? "No Mind"? That was Musashi who advocated fighting with no-mind, wasn't it? If I recall correctly, he goes into detail on why that is a GOOD thing in combat.

So it sounds like you are on the right track, Bill :)

But then, I found it useful during TRAINING to at times have a specific goal (lets say, landing side kicks) during a free sparring sessions. I think training with specific goals and having thoughts related to achieving that goal during a session results in a productive session — especially at beginning levels.

I think the term is 'mushin' for 'no mind'. But really, this is not a technique or anything special for me; I just let my training wash over me. If I think, I get hit. So I just flow. Sometimes I think later that I should have done this or I should have done that, and yes, I probably should have. So it's not that just 'flowing' is a good thing necessarily. I realized the other day that the video I posted of me dumping that guy in a recent tournament (I lost, BTW), i fought the entire match with a right lead; I'm right-handed. I believe my opponent was left-handed and fought right-lead. Why I lined up to give him an advantage I do not know; I just did it. Everything I do in the ring, I just do. I don't even know how to think of things while I'm sparring. The only thing I've had any success with is reminding myself to GO GO GO as soon as I hear 'Hajime!' Because there's no pacing yourself in point-sparring. Get in there and get it done. I didn't do that in my last match, probably why I lost. But really, when I settle into my fighting stance, I'm just me, moving and grooving. Not thinking about much of anything.

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
Although I don't take Jeet Kune Do, Reading Bruce Lee's book has given me a lot of ideas as of late as to how to improve my sparring and fighting. If you want to be more aggressive/confident, the key is to strike when you know you will hit! Wait for your opponent to strike, then use one hand to parry the move while the other is used to strike at them. Do this enough and not only will you be perceived as aggressive ( thus getting into your opponents head ) but you will be doing while still technically being a defensive fighter.

Another great Technique I picked up from the "Tao of Jeet Kune DO" Is always leaving a hand up to defend your face while still having it in the position to strike. When using a cross for example, move your lead hand in front of your face so that you may defend any of your opponent's attacks. If you apply proper torque and momentum to your strike, you will find that you can quickly transition into another lead jab with the hand that is defending your face by simply thrusting and returning the torque of your body to it's neutral position!

Finally, try throwing kicks as distractions rather than damage dealing moves. Use it to drop the opponent's guard so that you can strike, that way you don't really have to pressure them.

Really the key to gaining confidence is knowing how to control your opponent. I find that once you can break your opponent's rhythm, you break their minds. Then you have already won.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Footwork will usually do the trick if You arent naturally able to be Aggressive.

Latest Discussions